The electric field inside a shell with a charge at the center?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question related to the AP Physics C E&M exam which involves an infinite line of charge within a conducting cylinder. One part of the question asks to draw the field lines and induced charges, and the answer key states that there is no field between the induced dipoles within the cylinder. The possible explanation for this is that the field due to the dipole is exactly canceled out by the field due to the line of charge, resulting in a net zero field within the conductor. It is also mentioned that this concept is usually memorized in classes, but the individual is self-studying the material.
wil3
Hello. I am preparing for the AP Physics C E&M exam, and I am trying to understand the solution to 2004-1

The problem provides an infinite line of uniform charge per unit length enclosed within an infinite hollow conducting cylinder with a fixed radius and no net charge. The line of charge within the tube is off center.

In one of the parts of the question, it asks to draw all field lines an induced charges. I correctly drew the induced dipoles within the metal shell, but the answer key says that there is no field between these dipoles (ie, field is zero everywhere within the conductor)

How is this possible? The best qualitative explanation I can come up with is that at any point within the solid conductor, the field due to the dipole is exactly canceled out by the field due to the line of charge (ie, even though the dipole is closer, the charge is less because it has been mitigated by being evenly distributed over the surface. I'm guessing that the loss of charge is exactly proportional to the decrease in radius to the charge, so that the dipole vector is equal and opposite the field vector from just the line)

Can someone give a qualitative or quantitative explanation of what is happening here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Logically,

If there were a net electric field in a conductor then it would be moving the electrons inside, and if it moves the electrons inside, there is current. But an isolated conductor does not carry a perpetual current so there cannot be an electric field inside.

The electrons are moved into such a distribution that all the electric field vectors cancel, which is something like what you described.

I'm guessing you self-studied the material because I think in classes people just memorize that the electric field in a conductor is zero (although I don't know, I'm self-teaching this stuff too).

Related to The electric field inside a shell with a charge at the center?

1. How is the electric field inside a shell with a charge at the center calculated?

The electric field inside a shell with a charge at the center can be calculated using Gauss's Law. This law states that the electric field at any point inside a closed surface is equal to the total charge enclosed by the surface divided by the permittivity of free space. In the case of a shell with a charge at the center, the electric field is zero inside the shell and is given by the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge of the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell.

2. Why is the electric field inside a shell with a charge at the center zero?

The electric field inside a shell with a charge at the center is zero because of the principle of superposition. This principle states that the electric field at any point is the sum of the electric fields produced by each individual charge. In the case of a shell with a charge at the center, the electric fields produced by the charges on the inner and outer surface of the shell cancel out, resulting in a net electric field of zero inside the shell.

3. Does the shape or size of the shell affect the electric field inside?

No, the shape or size of the shell does not affect the electric field inside. As long as the charge is located at the center of the shell, the electric field inside will always be zero. This is because the electric field inside the shell only depends on the total charge enclosed by the surface, not the shape or size of the shell.

4. Can the electric field inside a shell with a charge at the center be negative?

No, the electric field inside a shell with a charge at the center cannot be negative. This is because the electric field is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In the case of a shell with a charge at the center, the electric field is always directed outward from the center, resulting in a positive value.

5. How does the electric field inside a shell with a charge at the center change as the distance from the center increases?

The electric field inside a shell with a charge at the center decreases as the distance from the center increases. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the center, according to the formula E = kQ/r^2. As the distance increases, the electric field becomes weaker due to the increased distance from the charge at the center.