The effects of electrical shock on the brain from non-localized contact area

In summary, the conversation revolved around the recent news story of a young man who attached two clamps to his nipples and plugged them into a wall socket, causing him to suffer brain damage and a heart attack. The debate was over whether the brain damage was caused directly by the electrical shock or indirectly through oxygen deprivation. The concept of path of least resistance was also discussed, with the conclusion that the flow of current would likely be choked off before reaching the brain due to the neck separating the head from the thorax. The conversation also mentioned Terry Pratchett and his character, Bill Door.
BillDoor
In my attempt to obliterate my ignorance I'd like to discuss something related to the recent news story about a young man who attached two clamps to his nipples and then had a friend plug it into a wall socket. http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978486647" <-- News Story

I got into a debate(from an admittedly relative point of ignorance) over whether or not the young man suffered direct brain damage from the shock or if it was entirely the oxygen deprivation from his heart stopping.

Basically, "their" argument was that it probably didn't hit his brain because it took the path of least resistance. My argument was that given the amount of fluid in the body and the nature of the central nervous system and its connection to the brain it would seem dubious that the brain would not incur direct electrical damage. Now, a second question: if the young man's brain was indeed directly damaged (rather than indirectly via oxygen deprivation), was the voltage enough to cause a significant amount of brain damage? And, I'm not even sure what constitutes "significant" brain damage.

Also, I was reading up on "path of least resistance" when I came upon this article: http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_path_least_resistance/. So, unless I'm misunderstanding, the electrical current took every path available in his body in inverse proportion to the amount of resistance in each path? I guess what it comes down to is the bio-conductivity of the connections of the chest to the brain.

Well, I'd like to assert that while I'd enjoy being correct, my real goal is to understand. Thank you for your time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
BillDoor said:
the electrical current took every path available in his body in inverse proportion to the amount of resistance in each path

Pretty much, so since the current has to go well out of it's way to get his brain it's only a slight percent. Otherwise tazers would constantly shut your heart down and fry your brains etc.

He would definitely have died of a heart attack.

EDIT: NM he didn't die, but you know what I mean. He suffered brain damage because his heart shut down. His heart shut down because the electricity took the direct path (through his heart/chest). Only a SUPER TINY amount of volage if any would be applied a the brain area.

Last edited:
Current flow generally spreads to fill all available paths, which is why the electrical resistance for a conductive flat surface is measured in ohms/square. The size of the square doesn't matter because as the distance the current must cross increases, the width of the area it can pass through also increases. A square inch and a square mile would have the same resistance.

However, because the head is separated from the thorax by the neck, the currently flow would probably be (mostly) choked off (no pun intended) without much current passing through the brain.

BillDoor: Are you a fan of Terry Pratchett? One of his characters used the name "Bill Door".

MuggsMcGinnis said:
Current flow generally spreads to fill all available paths, which is why the electrical resistance for a conductive flat surface is measured in ohms/square. The size of the square doesn't matter because as the distance the current must cross increases, the width of the area it can pass through also increases. A square inch and a square mile would have the same resistance.

However, because the head is separated from the thorax by the neck, the currently flow would probably be (mostly) choked off (no pun intended) without much current passing through the brain.

BillDoor: Are you a fan of Terry Pratchett? One of his characters used the name "Bill Door".

Thank you for both of your replies!

And yes, I am indeed a stalwart fan of Pratchett. DEATH's guise as Bill Door is one of my favorite parts of his books, but especially "The Reaper Man."

I would like to provide a response to the questions and concerns raised in this discussion about the effects of electrical shock on the brain.

Firstly, it is important to note that any electrical shock, whether localized or non-localized, can have serious consequences on the body and the brain. The brain is a highly sensitive organ and any disruption in its electrical activity can lead to significant damage.

In the case of the young man described in the news story, it is likely that the electrical shock caused both direct and indirect damage to his brain. The electrical current would have traveled through his body and reached his brain, causing direct damage to the neurons and potentially leading to cell death. At the same time, the shock would have also interrupted the flow of oxygen to the brain, resulting in temporary or permanent brain damage.

The voltage of the shock is also a crucial factor in determining the extent of brain damage. While it is difficult to determine what voltage is enough to cause significant brain damage, it is safe to say that any high voltage shock can have serious consequences. The brain is responsible for controlling the body's vital functions and any disruption in its functioning can have severe implications.

Regarding the concept of "path of least resistance", it is true that electrical current will follow the path of least resistance in the body. However, it is important to note that the brain is not immune to the effects of electrical shock just because the current may have taken a different path. The brain is a complex organ with a network of neurons and electrical pathways, and any disruption in this network can lead to damage.

In conclusion, it is important to exercise caution when dealing with electricity and to avoid any intentional exposure to electrical shock. The brain is a delicate and vital organ, and any damage to it can have serious and long-lasting effects on a person's health and well-being.

Related to The effects of electrical shock on the brain from non-localized contact area

1. What are the potential short-term effects of electrical shock on the brain from non-localized contact area?

The potential short-term effects of electrical shock on the brain from non-localized contact area can include confusion, memory loss, headaches, dizziness, and seizures. These effects can vary depending on the intensity and duration of the shock.

2. Can electrical shock from non-localized contact area cause long-term damage to the brain?

Yes, electrical shock from non-localized contact area can cause long-term damage to the brain. This can include changes in brain function, nerve damage, and permanent cognitive impairments. The severity of the damage depends on the intensity and duration of the shock, as well as the individual's overall health and pre-existing conditions.

3. How does electrical shock from non-localized contact area affect the brain's electrical activity?

Electrical shock from non-localized contact area can disrupt the brain's electrical activity, leading to abnormal brain waves and potential seizures. This disruption can also affect the communication between neurons and result in changes to brain function.

4. Are there any factors that can increase the risk of brain damage from electrical shock through non-localized contact area?

Yes, certain factors can increase the risk of brain damage from electrical shock through non-localized contact area. These can include the intensity and duration of the shock, pre-existing medical conditions, and individual sensitivity to electrical stimulation. Additionally, if the shock is sustained for a long period of time or if the individual has a weak heart, the risk of brain damage may be heightened.

5. What are some ways to prevent brain damage from electrical shock through non-localized contact area?

To prevent brain damage from electrical shock through non-localized contact area, it is important to take precautions when working with electrical equipment. This can include using proper protective gear, ensuring that all equipment is properly grounded, and following safety protocols. It is also important to seek immediate medical attention if you experience an electrical shock to minimize the potential for long-term damage.