The effect of temperature on phosphorescence

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question about the effect of heat on a substance with phosphorescence properties. The person had read somewhere that higher temperatures decrease the substance's lifetime but was unsure if it was true. They did a Google search using the problem statement and found a Nature article that directly answered the question. It was suggested to try the same search again. The person confirmed it was a homework question and thanked the expert for the helpful information.
Michell
Homework Statement
What effect does heat have on a substance with phosphorescence properties?
Relevant Equations
I had read somewhere that as the temperature increases, its lifetime decreases. But there was no further explanation. Of course, I don't know if it's true yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
I did a Google search using your Problem Statement ('What effect does heat have on a substance with phosphorescence properties?'), and the 2nd hit gave the direct answer. Can you try that same search?

Also, is this really a schoolwork question or just something you were wondering about? I can move your thread to the general technical forums if it's not for schoolwork.

Likes Michell
berkeman said:
I did a Google search using your Problem Statement ('What effect does heat have on a substance with phosphorescence properties?'), and the 2nd hit gave the direct answer. Can you try that same search?

Also, is this really a schoolwork question or just something you were wondering about? I can move your thread to the general technical forums if it's not for schoolwork.
Did Google really give a direct answer?! I tried but failed. I'd better try again.
No, this is a homework.:smile:

Michell said:
Did Google really give a direct answer?! I tried but failed. I'd better try again.
No, this is a homework.:smile:
The Nature article is the 2nd hit on the Google search results list:

1617626888702.png

https://www.nature.com/articles/056102a0.pdf

1617626961328.png

Likes Michell

What is phosphorescence?

Phosphorescence is a type of luminescence where a material emits light after being exposed to radiation. The light emission can last for a longer period of time compared to fluorescence.

How does temperature affect phosphorescence?

Temperature can affect phosphorescence in two ways. First, it can impact the energy of the electrons in the material, which can affect the intensity and duration of the phosphorescent light. Second, temperature can also affect the rate of chemical reactions that cause phosphorescence, which can alter the overall brightness and color of the light emitted.

What is the relationship between temperature and phosphorescence?

The relationship between temperature and phosphorescence is typically inverse. As temperature increases, the intensity and duration of phosphorescent light decreases. However, this relationship may vary depending on the specific material and its chemical properties.

What factors can influence the effect of temperature on phosphorescence?

Aside from temperature, other factors that can influence the effect of temperature on phosphorescence include the chemical composition of the material, the intensity and duration of the radiation it was exposed to, and the presence of any impurities or contaminants in the material.

How is the effect of temperature on phosphorescence studied?

The effect of temperature on phosphorescence is studied through various experiments and measurements. These may include exposing the material to different temperatures and measuring the resulting phosphorescent light, analyzing the chemical properties of the material, and using mathematical models to understand the relationship between temperature and phosphorescence.