The domain of A for r=cos(kA) before the petals start to overlap

In summary, the rose polar curve expressed by r=r(θ)= cos(kθ) has a period of π if k is odd and 2π if k is even. This can be seen by observing that there is no overlap in the graph for k is even, while there is overlap for k is odd. This can also be proven algebraically by looking at how the function repeats itself on the petals. Although this was a question out of curiosity, it highlights the importance of informal thinking in mathematics and how it can lead to more rigorous proofs.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I know that, for k an integer, the rose polar curve expressed by r=r(θ)= cos(kθ) has a period of π if k is odd and 2π if k is even (usually expressed as saying that there are k distinct petals if k is odd, and 2k petals if k is even). However, I have yet to pin down the reason for this difference. Can anyone point out the reason (or calculations) for this conclusion? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
I know that, for k an integer, the rose polar curve expressed by r=r(θ)= cos(kθ) has a period of π if k is odd and 2π if k is even (usually expressed as saying that there are k distinct petals if k is odd, and 2k petals if k is even). However, I have yet to pin down the reason for this difference. Can anyone point out the reason (or calculations) for this conclusion? Thanks.

Hey nomadreid.

I'm not going to give an algebraic explanation, but one suggestion I have is that you get some kind of animated plot over time for the actual object itself if possible.

In other words you have a movie where you plot the function where 1 second corresponds to so many radians and then look at how the function evolves after seeing the animation.

My guess algebraically though is that the one with lesser petals creates an overlap of some kind whereas the other one does not create an overlap. In other words the one with less petals has a situation where the function repeats itself on the petals that it has already drawn later on instead of drawing a new petal that is offset to existing petals.

Thanks, chiro, I had indeed looked at some of the videos doing precisely that (there are several on the Internet), but I think I figured out an algebraic explanation, at least partly, that goes like this (Being a bit sloppy, and too lazy to put the Greek symbols in):
It is obvious that {(A, cos(kA)):0<A<2(pi)} and {(A, cos(k(A)):2(pi)<A<4(pi)} will be the same. In fact, point by point, (A, cos(kA))= (A+2pi, cos(k(A+2pi)). Now, however, to check (pi) in the same role:
(A, cos(kA))
with
(A+(pi), cos(k(A+(pi))))

If k = 2n, this becomes
(A+(pi), cos(2n(A+(pi)))) = (A+(pi), cos(2nA+2n(pi)))=(A+(pi), cos(2n(pi))) = (A+(pi), cos(kA))
which is definitely different to ((A, cos(kA)), so no overlap.

If k = 2n+1, this becomes
(A+(pi), cos((2n+1)(A+(pi)))) = (A+(pi), cos(2nA + 2n(pi)+A+(pi))) = (A+(pi), cos(2nA +A+(pi)))= (A+(pi), cos((2n+1)A +(pi)))=
(A+(pi), -cos((2n+1)A)) = (A+(pi),-cos(kA))=(A,cos(kA))

That could be made more rigorous (and/or more elegant), but this is the main idea, I think. Any opinions?

nomadreid said:
Thanks, chiro, I had indeed looked at some of the videos doing precisely that (there are several on the Internet), but I think I figured out an algebraic explanation, at least partly, that goes like this (Being a bit sloppy, and too lazy to put the Greek symbols in):
It is obvious that {(A, cos(kA)):0<A<2(pi)} and {(A, cos(k(A)):2(pi)<A<4(pi)} will be the same. In fact, point by point, (A, cos(kA))= (A+2pi, cos(k(A+2pi)). Now, however, to check (pi) in the same role:
(A, cos(kA))
with
(A+(pi), cos(k(A+(pi))))

If k = 2n, this becomes
(A+(pi), cos(2n(A+(pi)))) = (A+(pi), cos(2nA+2n(pi)))=(A+(pi), cos(2n(pi))) = (A+(pi), cos(kA))
which is definitely different to ((A, cos(kA)), so no overlap.

If k = 2n+1, this becomes
(A+(pi), cos((2n+1)(A+(pi)))) = (A+(pi), cos(2nA + 2n(pi)+A+(pi))) = (A+(pi), cos(2nA +A+(pi)))= (A+(pi), cos((2n+1)A +(pi)))=
(A+(pi), -cos((2n+1)A)) = (A+(pi),-cos(kA))=(A,cos(kA))

That could be made more rigorous (and/or more elegant), but this is the main idea, I think. Any opinions?

That's pretty much what I was thinking would be shown graphically and you've given enough to illustrate your point that you were trying to make. Your question did not require anything too specific in terms of a proof so for this purpose I think it is ok.

It sounds like this is more just a question out of curiosity to answer something less formal rather than something informal and it's a good reminder for you to realize that many things in mathematics, even the ones that end up formal end up this way (an informal curiosity will lead to something more rigorous), so don't think that informal things in mathematics don't have their place because they do in the most subtle and important ways.

Thanks again, chiro. Yes, you are right, the matter was out of my own curiosity. Although it was clear that the petals would rotate as their numbers changed, that they would fit into place so neatly according to even/odd was not intuitively clear to me; in these cases, the formal proof helps my informal intuition, rather than the other way around.

Related to The domain of A for r=cos(kA) before the petals start to overlap

1. What does the domain of A represent in the equation r=cos(kA)?

The domain of A represents the set of all possible values for the variable A in the equation r=cos(kA). In other words, it is the range of values that A can take on without breaking the rules of the equation.

2. How is the domain of A affected by the value of r in the equation r=cos(kA)?

The value of r does not directly affect the domain of A in the equation r=cos(kA). The domain of A is determined by the rules of the equation itself, and r is simply one of the variables in the equation.

3. What does the value of k represent in the equation r=cos(kA)?

The value of k represents the frequency of the cosine function in the equation r=cos(kA). It determines how quickly the cosine function oscillates and affects the overall shape of the graph.

4. How does changing the value of k affect the domain of A in the equation r=cos(kA)?

Changing the value of k affects the domain of A in the equation r=cos(kA) by altering the frequency of the cosine function. As k increases, the frequency increases, and the graph becomes more compact, potentially decreasing the domain of A before the petals start to overlap.

5. Is there a specific value of k that will always result in the petals overlapping in the graph of r=cos(kA)?

No, there is not a specific value of k that will always result in the petals overlapping in the graph of r=cos(kA). The value of k will affect the shape and frequency of the graph, but other factors such as the initial radius and the range of A can also impact when the petals start to overlap.