The Dirac Equation and the Neutrinos

In summary: There's nothing in the Dirac equation that "predicts" the fact that there are no right-handed neutrinos. It's an assumption of the standard model, partially justified by experiment. However, the Dirac equation does "accept" the fact of the non-existence of the RH neutrinos, which is why they are not needed for the theory to work.
Magister
Does the Dirac equation predicts the fact that there are no right handed neutrinos?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. There's nothing that "predicts" such a thing. It's an assumption of the standard model, partially justified by experiment. I say "partially" because even though we have never seen a right-handed neutrino, we know neutrinos have mass. RH neutrinos are not required for this, but that is one way to give them mass.

But the Dirac equation does "accept" the fact of the non-existence of the RH neutrinos, doesn´t it?

No. The term "right handed neutrinos" is ambiguous. Now that neutrinos are believed to have mass, the probability of a left handed neutrino in beta decay having right helicity is (1-v^2). The "handedness" of a particle is not related to the Dirac eqluation, but to whether its weak interaction is (V-A) or (V+A).

Magister said:
But the Dirac equation does "accept" the fact of the non-existence of the RH neutrinos, doesn´t it?
I just saw this. The DE says nothing about the existence or non-exisence of handeness.
Handedness is a feature of the weak interaction.

Meir Achuz said:
I just saw this. The DE says nothing about the existence or non-exisence of handeness.
Handedness is a feature of the weak interaction.

Be careful: there's "handedness" and there's "chirality". In the massless fermion limit, they are the same thing, but in the (Dirac) massive case, they are not. "Handedness" refers to the spin polarization of the fermion ([itex]\pm\hbar/2[/itex]), and has to do with the Lorentz transformation properties of the fermion. "Chirality" has to do with which of the (4) components of the spinor you are dealing with. They're only the same thing in the (Dirac) massless fermion limit. In particular, handedness is not Lorentz invariant for a massive fermion, since you can boost "past" the fermion and change the direction of helicity (massless fermions are moving at the speed of light, so you can't do that for them). However, chirality *is* a Lorentz invariant quantity.

What I think Meir Achuz means is that the weak interactions couple to left-chiral and right-chiral fermions differently (in the latter case, not at all!).

The Dirac equation describes a 4-component fermion, which contains both a Left and a Right chiral fermion. However, it can be decomposed into two separate equations (coupled by a Dirac mass term) that describes 2-component fermions of a given chirality. These equations are sometimes called the Weyl Equations. These are, in some sense, more fundamental than Dirac's equation. When using Weyl's equations, you only need one kind of chirality.

The SM is a chiral theory, meaning that the fermions actually obey Weyl's equations. For this reason, you do not need a R-chiral neutrino. I suppose I was a little sloppy before: I guess that the Dirac equation DOES insist on a R-handed neutrino. But if there is no Dirac mass, then the R-handed neutrino decouples completely and so it might as well not be there (use the Weyl equations). That's what I meant when I said Dirac does not imply R-handed.

Of course, physicists are super-sloppy: we use "handed" and "chiral" interchangably, even when we aren't supposed to!

The DE does describe the handedness as a non-Lorentz invariant
combination of the two chiral components. The chiral terms do have
a Lorentz invariant handedness because they transform light-like
always whether the Dirac electron has mass or not.

[tex]
\begin{array}{|clcccrc|}
\hline
&&&&&& \\
&\mbox{Momentum:} && J_{Vt}^2\ -\ J_{Vx}^2\ -\ J_{Vy}^2\ -\ J_{Vz}^2\ & = & \ \ (2m)^2
& \\ &&&&&& \\
&\mbox{Spin (axial):}&& J_{At}^2\ -\ J_{Ax}^2\ -\ J_{Ay}^2\ -\ J_{Az}^2\ & = & -(2m)^2
& \\ &&&&&& \\
&\mbox{Left chiral:} && J_{Lt}^2\ -\ J_{Lx}^2\ -\ J_{Ly}^2\ -\ J_{Lz}^2\ & = & \ 0 \quad
& \\ &&&&&& \\
&\mbox{Right chiral:}&& J_{Rt}^2\ -\ J_{Rx}^2\ -\ J_{Ry}^2\ -\ J_{Rz}^2\ & = & \ 0 \quad
& \\ &&&&&& \\ \hline
\end{array}
[/tex]

The Chiral terms have definite handedness but they are however only
exactly aligned with the spin (axial current) in frames where V and A
are aligned. So there can be an up to 90 degrees angle between a chiral
component and the spin in a reference frame but never more. The dot
product between the two has a definite sign.

The vector and axial current do of-course tend to line up almost 100%
at relativistic speeds because of the way spin transforms:

[tex]\vec{J}_A\ =\ \vec{J}_{A}^{\ rest}\ +\ \frac{\gamma^2}{\gamma+1}\ (\ \vec{\beta}\cdot \vec{J}_{A}^{\ rest}\ )\ \vec{\beta}[/tex]

The spin pointer grows always along the velocity with a sign depending
on the dot product. See Jackson (11.159) The notion that the spin is
aligned with the momentum and the chiral components is only true in the
ultra relativistic case.

It's the light like behavior of the chiral terms (whether the Dirac electron
has mass or not) what makes the SM Lorentz invariant. From a path
integral point of view one can consider the square of the amplitude of the
chiral components as the average time which is spend moving in one or
the other direction with the speed of c, with the overall speed being equal
to the speed v of the electron.

Regards, Hans

"Be careful: there's "handedness" and there's "chirality". In the massless fermion limit, they are the same thing, but in the (Dirac) massive case, they are not. "Handedness" refers to the spin polarization of the fermion (LaTeX graphic is being generated. Reload this page in a moment.), and has to do with the Lorentz transformation properties of the fermion."

I hate to argue over words, since I think we are in basic agreement.
That is why I said "ambiguous". I would call your definition of "handedness", helicity,
with handedness used for the two possible chiralities.
I would say that chiral invariance puts fermions into two classes,
right handed and left handed, with the mneomnic that leptons are leftons.

Meir Achuz said:
I hate to argue over words, since I think we are in basic agreement.
That is why I said "ambiguous". I would call your definition of "handedness", helicity,
with handedness used for the two possible chiralities.
I would say that chiral invariance puts fermions into two classes,
right handed and left handed, with the mneomnic that leptons are leftons.

I know. It actually took me a while before I finally understood that there are two concepts being described by the same words. Back in grad school, I used to say to myself (and others): "How can you have no 'right-handed' neutrinos when neutrinos have mass, and you can always boost into a frame where it is 'right-handed' (that is, positive helicity)?!" The key is to understand the difference between "helicity" and "chirality", which are only the same in the massless limit.

Related to The Dirac Equation and the Neutrinos

1. What is the Dirac equation and how does it relate to neutrinos?

The Dirac equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of fermions, which includes particles such as electrons and neutrinos. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac in the 1920s and provides a mathematical framework for understanding the properties and interactions of these particles. Neutrinos, being fermions, are governed by the Dirac equation and their behavior can be described using this equation.

2. What is the significance of the Dirac equation in particle physics?

The Dirac equation is considered one of the most important equations in particle physics as it provides a way to describe the behavior of fundamental particles and their interactions. It has been used to explain a wide range of phenomena, from the behavior of electrons in atoms to the interactions of subatomic particles in high-energy collisions. In particular, the Dirac equation has been crucial in understanding the properties and behavior of neutrinos.

3. How does the Dirac equation account for the mass of neutrinos?

The Dirac equation includes a term for mass, which allows for the prediction of the mass of particles such as electrons and neutrinos. However, experiments have shown that neutrinos have a much smaller mass than originally predicted by the Dirac equation. This led to the development of the seesaw mechanism, which suggests that there are additional, heavier neutrinos that interact with the known neutrinos and contribute to their overall mass.

4. Can the Dirac equation account for the oscillation of neutrinos?

Yes, the Dirac equation can account for neutrino oscillation, which is the phenomenon where neutrinos change from one type to another as they travel through space. This is possible because the Dirac equation includes terms for the weak interaction, which is the force responsible for neutrino oscillation. By using the Dirac equation, scientists can predict the probabilities of different types of neutrinos being detected at different points in time and space, which has been confirmed by experiments.

5. Are there any current research developments related to the Dirac equation and neutrinos?

Yes, there is ongoing research to further understand the properties and behavior of neutrinos using the Dirac equation. This includes studying the possibility of sterile neutrinos, which are hypothetical neutrinos that do not interact with any of the known fundamental forces. Additionally, scientists are using the Dirac equation to study the role of neutrinos in the early universe and their potential impact on cosmological models.