The dimensions of something please

• Thread starter help1please
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary: So, "Newtons x meters^2":That would be the amount of force that is exerted by a mass at a distance of meters from the mass.
help1please

I read about this expression for the Coriolis force

[tex]\frac{\omega c}{\sqrt{G}}[/tex]

Would I be right in saying this has dimensions of force?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, omega is angular frequency, I believe. c is the speed of light and G is Newtons constant.

The dimensions of force are mass times length over time squared; let's call that [itex]F = ML/T^2[/itex]. Velocity is [itex]v = L/T[/itex]. What would frequency be, then, and the square root of the gravitational constant?

So, what I have is angular frequency times the speed of light over the gravitational constant, so what you are saying is that

[tex]F \ne \frac{\omega c}{\sqrt{G}}[/tex]

?

I haven't said anything of the kind. I'm asking you what the dimensions are of [itex]\omega[/itex] and [itex]G[/itex]. The first one should be easy; the second might be a little harder, but as a hint, use Newton's force law for gravitation.

I am still learning this dimension stuff, so don't expect me to be overly useful.

Newtons force law is mass x m/s/s yes? So how does this help me? I don't know the dimensions to angular frequency... is it just a frequency?

I see one link saying it is M^0L^0T^-1

so what is this for frequency, just 1/time? So how will this help me? I don't even know how to calculate terms like these together?

G just has dimensions of speed squared? Or that was what someone told me once. Is that true?

Frequency is 1/time, yes.

Newton's law of gravitation is [itex]F = Gm_1 m_2/r^2[/itex] In the language of dimensions, that's force = G x (mass) x (mass) / (length x length). Knowing the dimensions of force already, you should be able to solve for the dimensions of G.

Muphrid said:
Frequency is 1/time, yes.

Newton's law of gravitation is [itex]F = Gm_1 m_2/r^2[/itex] In the language of dimensions, that's force = G x (mass) x (mass) / (length x length). Knowing the dimensions of force already, you should be able to solve for the dimensions of G.

I'm clueless how to. I don't know how you calculate terms... I can solve for G... that is easy...

[tex]Fr/m^2 = G[/tex]

So... now what?

That's [itex]r^2[/itex].

You need to plug in the dimensions of force now.

Muphrid said:
That's [itex]r^2[/itex].

You need to plug in the dimensions of force now.

Sorry, treat for r^2. Forgot that... now what do you mean I need to plug in for force? I am alien to this... helping me with a working example would be much more educational for me... This is total chinese for me.

Let's think about this more concretely.

You measure lengths in meters. You measure time in seconds and mass in kilograms. You measure force in Newtons, where 1 Newton = 1 kg m/s/s.

Take what you just wrote:

[itex]F r^2 /m^2 = G[/itex]

And convert it to units. "Force -> Newtons" for instance. [itex]r^2[/itex] -> meters squared, and so on.

[itex](\text{Newtons}) (\text{meters})^2 / (\text{kilograms})^2 = G[/itex]

But you know that Newtons can be expressed in terms of kilograms, meters, and seconds, right?

Muphrid said:
Let's think about this more concretely.

You measure lengths in meters. You measure time in seconds and mass in kilograms. You measure force in Newtons, where 1 Newton = 1 kg m/s/s.

Take what you just wrote:

[itex]F r^2 /m^2 = G[/itex]

And convert it to units. "Force -> Newtons" for instance. [itex]r^2[/itex] -> meters squared, and so on.

[itex](\text{Newtons}) (\text{meters})^2 / (\text{kilograms})^2 = G[/itex]

But you know that Newtons can be expressed in terms of kilograms, meters, and seconds, right?
right... I think I am following... now?

How do you calculate something like

Newtons x meters^2

I need to be shown before I can do it.

Newtons = kilograms x meters / (seconds)^2

Then how would you divide it by kilograms^2... I would believe there is some kind of special conversion formula to get from Newtons to the rest right?

It's perfectly fine to leave one power of kilograms in the denominator.

Related to The dimensions of something please

1. What are the three dimensions of an object?

The three dimensions of an object are length, width, and height. These measurements describe the size and shape of an object in three-dimensional space.

2. How are dimensions measured?

Dimensions are measured using a ruler or measuring tape. For length and width, the measurement is taken in a straight line from one end to the other. For height, the measurement is taken vertically from the bottom to the top of the object.

3. Can an object have more than three dimensions?

In our physical world, objects are limited to three dimensions. However, in theoretical mathematics and physics, there are theories about the possibility of additional dimensions beyond our three-dimensional space.

4. How do dimensions affect an object's volume?

The volume of an object is calculated by multiplying its length, width, and height together. Therefore, dimensions directly affect an object's volume. If any of the dimensions change, the volume will also change.

5. What is the importance of understanding dimensions in science?

Understanding dimensions is crucial in science as it allows us to accurately describe and measure objects and their properties. It also helps us understand the relationship between different objects and how they interact in our physical world.