The Differential: A Simple and Intuitive Explanation for Calculus Beginners

In summary: If you want to fully understand differential forms, I suggest you first start with basic concepts in calculus like limits, derivatives, and integrals. After that, you can try to understand differential forms on your own, but it will be much more difficult.Thanks for the question.Mandelbrot
pamparana
Hello all,

I have sort of a fundamental elementary calculus question. So, when trying to understand differentials, I always interpret is as change in the function corresponding to the change in the inputs. I always thought of these changes as "infinitesimal" changes and the differential for me was basically the change in function for an infinitesimal perturbation to its input. Is that interpretation correct?

I was browsing the wikipedia entry here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_of_a_function) and it says that the modern interpretation of a differential is seen as the function of two independent variables x and [itex]\Delta[/itex] x. So essentially the differential depends on where it is computed (the value of x) and how much the value is perturbed by i.e. [itex]\Delta[/itex] x.

However, now the differential is not this "infinitesimal" quantity i.e. dy can be any real number depending on the product f'(x) * dx. Is that correct? Somehow I have thoroughly managed to confuse myself...

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Luca

Physics news on Phys.org
See the recent thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=701423&highlight=calculus

Discussions of differentials on the forum reveal that they are a "matter of opinion" issue, with people in physics and applied math taking one view and those who take a rigorous approach to math another.

The practical bottom line is that in undergraduate calculus they are not defined with the same precision as things such as the definition of the limit of a function or the definition of a derivative. So if your course is "fair" you won't have to do any problems that require that you know a precise definition for them.

Thanks for pointing me to that thread. Sorry I missed it but I am not more confused that ever... About 40 posts but still no rigorous definition of what dx and dy might be!

pamparana said:
Hello all,

I have sort of a fundamental elementary calculus question. So, when trying to understand differentials, I always interpret is as change in the function corresponding to the change in the inputs. I always thought of these changes as "infinitesimal" changes and the differential for me was basically the change in function for an infinitesimal perturbation to its input. Is that interpretation correct?

I was browsing the wikipedia entry here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_of_a_function) and it says that the modern interpretation of a differential is seen as the function of two independent variables x and [itex]\Delta[/itex] x. So essentially the differential depends on where it is computed (the value of x) and how much the value is perturbed by i.e. [itex]\Delta[/itex] x.

However, now the differential is not this "infinitesimal" quantity i.e. dy can be any real number depending on the product f'(x) * dx. Is that correct? Somehow I have thoroughly managed to confuse myself...

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Luca
In elementary calculus, you can imagine the differential as a "magical functional thing" that does stuff in calculus. It's far better that way for now.

Do you just want to know a rigorous definition of a differential, or do you want to fully comprehend it? From experience, I know the latter kind of sucks when you have basically only elementary understanding of calculus. To fully comprehend what a differential is, starting with only a basic knowledge of calculus, it takes some effort.

However, if you just want to know a rigorous definition of the differential in order to confirm that there is one, I'd be happy to give it to you. However, if you want to actually understand, giving you a rigorous definition of the differential would likely confuse you more.

Hi Mandelbrot,

Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at a lot of material on this since last night and you are right, it is probably quite difficult to understand this at my level. However, can you be kind enough to give me the definition anyway, so I know what to aim for at some point!

Thanks,
Luca

pamparana said:
Hi Mandelbrot,

Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at a lot of material on this since last night and you are right, it is probably quite difficult to understand this at my level. However, can you be kind enough to give me the definition anyway, so I know what to aim for at some point!

Thanks,
Luca
Alright...

Consider a smooth map ##\varphi:M\to N## between smooth manifolds ##M## and ##N##. For a point ##p\in M##, the differential of this map, ##d\varphi##, gives a linear map defined by $$d\varphi_p:T_pM\to T_{\varphi(p)}N.$$ Given a curve ##\gamma:[-1,1]\to M## such that ##\gamma(0)=p##, we define ##d\varphi_p(\gamma'(0))=(\varphi\circ\gamma)'(0)##.

That's a general definition of a differential, but I think you'll be more satisfied with a special case:

For a smooth function ##f:M\to\mathbb{R}##, the exterior derivative of ##f##, ##df##, is a smooth section of the cotangent bundle of ##M##, defining at each point ##p\in M## a map ##df_p:T_pM\to\mathbb{R}##.

In this case, which you work with the most in elementary calculus, ##f## is something called a differential 0-form, and its differential ##df## is a differential 1-form. Differential forms generalize the idea of the differential for scalar functions, and provide a beautiful structure to the mathematics of calculus. Put simply for now, you can just think of differentials of real functions as linear functionals that take tangent vectors on the domain to real numbers.

And, again, if none of that made sense to you, don't worry. I can almost guarantee you that your calculus teacher wouldn't understand it either if you presented it to him or her. It's pretty legit math, and definitely not something you'd be expected to grasp mathematically when you're just entering the realm of calculus.

Last edited:
This use of "differential" is definitely NOT "fundamental elementary Calculus"!

HallsofIvy said:
This use of "differential" is definitely NOT "fundamental elementary Calculus"!
This. I feel like we should reemphasize this repeatedly.

pamparana, you will most certainly not be expected to know all of this. This is very sophisticated and advanced mathematics. I'd guess that this is at least upper level undergraduate math. I'd highly suggest just knowing that the differential is a rigorous thing and leaving it alone for a couple years.

Mandelbroth said:
Alright...

Consider a smooth map ##\varphi:M\to N## between smooth manifolds ##M## and ##N##. For a point ##p\in M##, the differential of this map, ##d\varphi##, gives a linear map defined by $$d\varphi_p:T_pM\to T_{\varphi(p)}N.$$ Given a curve ##\gamma:[-1,1]\to M## such that ##\gamma(0)=p##, we define ##d\varphi_p(\gamma'(0))=(\varphi\circ\gamma)'(0)##.

That's a general definition of a differential, but I think you'll be more satisfied with a special case:

For a smooth function ##f:M\to\mathbb{R}##, the exterior derivative of ##f##, ##df##, is a smooth section of the cotangent bundle of ##M##, defining at each point ##p\in M## a map ##df_p:T_pM\to\mathbb{R}##.

In this case, which you work with the most in elementary calculus, ##f## is something called a differential 0-form, and its differential ##df## is a differential 1-form. Differential forms generalize the idea of the differential for scalar functions, and provide a beautiful structure to the mathematics of calculus. Put simply for now, you can just think of differentials of real functions as linear functionals that take tangent vectors on the domain to real numbers.

And, again, if none of that made sense to you, don't worry. I can almost guarantee you that your calculus teacher wouldn't understand it either if you presented it to him or her. It's pretty legit math, and definitely not something you'd be expected to grasp mathematically when you're just entering the realm of calculus.

Sorry, but I don't see why you need to bring manifolds into this. You can really give a way easier definition.

Let ##f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}## be a differentiable function. We define ##df## as the function

[tex]df: \mathbb{R}\times \mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:(p,h)\rightarrow f^\prime(p)h[/tex]

In particular, if ##f(x) = x##, then we define

[tex]dx: \mathbb{R}\times \mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}: (x,h)\rightarrow h[/tex]

In multiple variables, we get

[tex]df: \mathbb{R}^n\times \mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow \mathbb{R}: (p,h)\rightarrow h_1\frac{\partial f}{\partial x_1}(p) + ... + h_n\frac{\partial f}{\partial x_n}(p)[/tex]

The intuition behind this is not so difficult. Given a differentiable function ##f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}## and a point ##p##, then it's value at the point ##p+h## is ##f(x+h)##. But we also have the tangent to ##f## at the point ##p##. The value at the point ##p+h## of the tangent line is given by ##f(p) + df(p,h)## If ##h## is small, then this is a reasonable approximation of ##f(p+h)##.

I know you can get everything sound complicated with manifolds and advanced math. But the real trick is to let something sound easy and intuitive! The reason I love people like Feynman is not because they are insanely smart and they won a Nobel prize, but it is because they can give such a simple and intuitive explanations for rather complicated topics. That's what I respect most in a person.

Last edited:

Related to The Differential: A Simple and Intuitive Explanation for Calculus Beginners

1. What is a differential?

A differential is a mechanical device that allows for the independent rotation of two connected shafts. It is commonly used in vehicles to transfer power from the engine to the wheels.

2. How does a differential work?

A differential works by using a set of gears to distribute torque evenly between the two connected shafts. It allows one shaft to rotate at a different speed than the other, which is necessary for turning and cornering in vehicles.

3. Why is understanding differentials important?

Understanding differentials is important for anyone working with mechanical systems, particularly in the automotive industry. It allows for proper maintenance and troubleshooting of vehicle components, leading to better performance and longevity.

4. What are the different types of differentials?

There are several types of differentials, including open differentials, limited slip differentials, and locking differentials. Each type has its own advantages and is suited for different vehicle applications.

5. How do you maintain a differential?

To maintain a differential, it is important to regularly check and change the differential fluid, as well as inspect and replace any worn or damaged components. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule and avoid harsh driving conditions that can put extra strain on the differential.