The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between knowledge, understanding, and wisdom. It is argued that science may not provide true wisdom, but rather knowledge and understanding. The language of wisdom is also questioned, with faith and logic being suggested as possibilities. The role of the human mind and experience is also acknowledged in understanding wisdom. Ultimately, wisdom is seen as a combination of logical and ethical truths that are relative to an individual's values.
Sean Torrebadel
After careful consideration, I have decided that Knowledge is knowing, but that understanding is Wisdom. It is, therefore, with great regret to find that there is very little wisdom in Science. Given that Science is the study of knowledge, and that the lagauge of science is mathematics... On the other side, I believe that metaphysics is the pursuit of Wisdom, but this leaves me wondering what the language of Wisdom is?

Confused? I have learned that I can stand. I have learned that I can fall. I have learned how fast I can fall. I have been told that this phenomenon is caused by gravity. Science takes this knowledge and formulates a force law. I know these things and I have knowledge of them- but no Wisdom.

You see, I am told that the cause of these things is 'gravity', but what is that? I am told that it is either a push or a pull, now which? I am told that it is a pull... what is pulling? Yes, there are some theories, particle exchange, etc. But no where is there a real foundation for me to understand why things fall. There is no logic.

It would appear that this difficulty extends to many empirical constructs, things like charge, energy of a photon, different forces, etc. I am given empirical constructs, words that define a certain phenomenon-but no solid explanation that explains why or how these things are physically manifested.

It was Aristotle who said that if we want to understand how something is this or that, that we need to reduce it down to its rarest form. How is that thing, say charged? What makes it charged? Is it charged simply because two charges interact a certain way? What do charges do? They attract or repel one another. So charge is a word used simply to denote a final result, either attraction or repulsion. But what causes the attraction or repulsion-and don't say charge. Hmm, it would appear that in order to reduce something down, rarification, that I need to use logic.

So the question is, whether the language of Wisdom is not logic? Going around the circle, is not mathematics also founded in logic, and how is that logic different from this logic. It occurs to me that the logic of mathematics is founded in quantities, and their relationship to time and space. This must be the case. So it is founded in the confines of substance, things that have body and mass. Hmm,

Is it possible that the logic of wisdom is founded in faith? You see, I know that I fall down, I know that the ground is hard. I know how fast objects move, but what do they move through. For all of my experience tells me that these things have body, a substantial existence. Yet for me to understand that things can move I need to believe that there is an emptiness, a void, through which things all move. I have no real experience with this void... Logic dictates that it must exist. What kind of logic is this compared to the one that says 1+1=2?

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wisdom = Logical, ethical or social truths attained from gaining perspective on an issue, still relative to the persons values. (Example: A thief might tell you that it's wise to never break into a house from the front door, but rather through the back door, and while this is LOGICAL it may not be WISE to an upstanding non criminal citizen.)
Logic = Determining what is true, within a system. 1 + 1 = 2 = true.
Knowledge = Understanding the logical implications of a situation, problem or solution, and the facts within.

Of course, none of this would have any meaning if we had no point of /reference/
This reference inherently is a function of the human mind(memories), which is the basis of everything.
Hence I would say that all the good wisdoms are actually true because they are logical. Don't break into a house from the front door because the neighbors might see you, there might be a surveillance camera there, the police might drive by or some other people, etc.
The wisdom part of this is merely a value applied, because there is no inherent technical or 'official' paper written about it, it's just a truth discovered as a side effect of an event.

I understand your perspective on the difference between knowledge and wisdom. Knowledge is the accumulation of facts and information, while wisdom is the ability to apply that knowledge in a meaningful and insightful way. In science, we often focus on obtaining and analyzing data, but we may not always take the time to consider the deeper meaning and implications of our findings.

I also agree with your point about the language of wisdom being different from the language of science. While science relies heavily on mathematics and empirical constructs, wisdom may be more rooted in logic and faith. Mathematics is a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the physical world, but it may not be able to fully capture the complexities and mysteries of the universe.

In terms of your question about whether the language of wisdom is faith, I believe that faith can certainly play a role in understanding and interpreting the world around us. However, I also think that logic and critical thinking are important components of wisdom. It is through questioning and seeking answers that we can gain a deeper understanding of the world and our place in it.

Ultimately, I believe that both knowledge and wisdom are important in the pursuit of scientific discovery. While knowledge provides us with a foundation of facts and information, wisdom allows us to see the bigger picture and make connections between seemingly unrelated concepts. As scientists, we should strive to not only gain knowledge, but also seek wisdom in our work.

The Difference Between Knowledge and Wisdom

Knowledge and wisdom are two distinct concepts that are often used interchangeably but have different meanings and implications. Let's explore some common questions about the difference between knowledge and wisdom:

Q1: What is Knowledge?

Knowledge refers to the acquisition of information, facts, and data through learning, study, or experience. It is the awareness and understanding of various subjects, facts, or skills. Knowledge can be acquired through education, reading, observation, and research.

Q2: What is Wisdom?

Wisdom is a deeper and more complex concept. It involves the ability to apply knowledge and experience to make sound judgments, decisions, and choices. Wisdom goes beyond factual information and encompasses insight, discernment, and the capacity to navigate life's challenges with prudence and perspective.

Q3: How Does Knowledge Differ from Wisdom?

The key differences between knowledge and wisdom are:

• Nature: Knowledge is the accumulation of information and facts, while wisdom is the ability to apply that knowledge effectively.
  • Scope: Knowledge is about understanding specific subjects or areas, while wisdom is more holistic and involves a broader understanding of life and human nature.
  • Decision-Making: Knowledge provides the data and facts, while wisdom guides decision-making based on values, ethics, and long-term consequences.
  • Practicality: Knowledge can be theoretical, while wisdom is often practical and results in actions that benefit oneself and others.

Q4: Can Someone Have Knowledge Without Wisdom?

Yes, it is possible for someone to possess knowledge without wisdom. Knowledge is about having information and facts, while wisdom involves the ability to use that knowledge wisely. An individual may have a wealth of knowledge but may not always apply it in a wise or discerning manner.

Q5: Can Wisdom Exist Without Knowledge?

Wisdom is closely linked to knowledge, as it often requires a foundation of knowledge and experience to make wise decisions. While some aspects of wisdom may be innate or intuitive, a deeper understanding and application of wisdom are generally enhanced by knowledge and life experiences.

Q6: How Can One Develop Wisdom?

Developing wisdom involves a lifelong journey of self-reflection, learning from experiences, seeking diverse perspectives, and contemplating the implications of one's actions and decisions. It often involves humility, empathy, and a willingness to grow and adapt.

Q7: Are There Cultural or Philosophical Differences in the Concept of Wisdom?

Yes, the concept of wisdom can vary across cultures and philosophies. Different cultures and belief systems may have unique perspectives on what constitutes wisdom and how it is attained. Philosophical traditions, such as Stoicism or Buddhism, also offer distinct views on wisdom and its cultivation.

In summary, knowledge and wisdom are distinct but interconnected concepts. While knowledge involves the acquisition of information, wisdom encompasses the ability to apply that knowledge wisely in making decisions and navigating life's complexities. Understanding the difference between the two can lead to more thoughtful and informed choices.