The difference between Draftsman and Designer

• Thread starter SOUKRAT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary: We have a few engineers with a degree in drafting, but they are in the minority.In summary, an ME would typically be paid quite a bit more money than a drafting technician. Draftsmen can do calculations that a drafting technician would not know how to do. What is the most complex set of calculations you have done at your work so far?
SOUKRAT
Hi everyone
Both Draftsman and Designer uses CAD Softwares what i want to know the difference between them according to
1- Educational level
2- Job Roles
3- maximum Promotion can get

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
SOUKRAT said:
Hi everyone
Both Draftsman and Designer uses CAD Softwares what i want to know the difference between them according to
1- Educational level
2- Job Roles
3- maximum Promotion can get

Thanks
That's a pretty broad set of questions. What reading have you been doing so far? Are you wanting to compare an ME to a drafting technician? There certainly is a lot of information available from Google...

And in a thread from a year ago, you said you were in your final year of ME. What happened?
SOUKRAT said:
Hi
Yesterday at 8:36 AM#2
Student100 I am a mechanical engineering student in my final year so, I am thinking of online degree because of two reasons , first, it is the only way to study something that I like and having a job (mechanical engineer) and part_time education does not exist in Egypt
second, I really like MOOCs more than campus because MOOCs have advantages that campus does not have
and about your question
I really like Math a lot and I am good about it
I enjoyed studying Math and I want to study Tensors-partial differential equations

Likes russ_watters
Hi berkman
Thanks for asking and for your interest
Now I have graduated with a good amount of MOOCs courses and I finished a 3-months internship as a technical office engineer, I have found that people with the different amount of educational level working together using the same software and doing maybe the same thing all of them can make a modeling and shop drawing...etc and this confused me since the answers that I have got from Google is not like what I am faced maybe the company was not large size
So, I think if I asked here people from different cultures with different perspectives will Help

Well, if you have an ME degree, you can do calculations that a drafting technician would not know how to do. That is why an ME would typically be paid quite a bit more money than a drafting technician. What is the most complex set of calculations you have done at your work so far?

Likes russ_watters
is the ability to do calculations the only difference between them so can I assume that the Draftsman can do modeling, Drawing ... etc? my Employer told me that Modeling is an Engineering Level but I do not think so

about your question, I do not think there complex calculations and easy one, as long as I can do the calculations by the way as an intern,
1- I was making calculations for Centrifugal Fans (sizing )
2- making calculations for Designing an Air Filter (Bag Filter ) like Air to cloth ratio and other parameters
3- making calculations for a screw conveyor Design and modeling it and also automating the Design for the Company See this
4- making some CFD simulation for Centrifugal Cyclones ( i am sure 100 % this is an Engineering Level ) but I did not do this often
this was my Humble Experience

SOUKRAT said:
Hi berkman
Thanks for asking and for your interest
Now I have graduated with a good amount of MOOCs courses and I finished a 3-months internship as a technical office engineer, I have found that people with the different amount of educational level working together using the same software and doing maybe the same thing all of them can make a modeling and shop drawing...etc and this confused me since the answers that I have got from Google is not like what I am faced maybe the company was not large size
So, I think if I asked here people from different cultures with different perspectives will Help
You didn't ask your colleagues at the internship? You should have; learning how "the industry" works is part of the purpose of the internship!

I'm an HVAC engineer in the USA. Historically, in my industry:
-Draftsmen make drawings from hand sketches someone gave them. No knowledge of what they are drawing is required.
-Designers are draftsmen who have some technical knowledge and can, for example, size and lay out ductwork themselves.
-Engineers do more complicated calculations and more importantly make the important decisions guiding the design and supervise the designers and draftsmen.

These jobs obviously overlap and one can start as a draftsman and become an engineer mostly through on the job experience (by work even if not by law).

This has been the historical arrangement, but the lines are blurred further by the fact that more and more people are getting degrees and computers have made the work more efficient. So my company doesn't employ any "draftsmen" and most of our junior engineers are by work, basically designers.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and CalcNerd

Related to The difference between Draftsman and Designer

What is the difference between a draftsman and a designer?

A draftsman is a professional who creates technical drawings and plans for construction or manufacturing, while a designer is a professional who creates visual concepts and designs for a variety of industries and purposes.

What skills do a draftsman and a designer have in common?

Both draftsman and designers have a strong understanding of technical drawing and CAD software, as well as the ability to read and interpret blueprints and diagrams. They also both possess strong attention to detail and the ability to problem solve.

How do the job responsibilities of a draftsman and a designer differ?

A draftsman is primarily responsible for creating technical drawings and plans based on specifications provided by engineers or architects. On the other hand, a designer is responsible for creating visual concepts and designs, often for marketing or artistic purposes.

What education or training is required to become a draftsman or a designer?

A draftsman typically needs a technical certificate or associate's degree in drafting, while a designer may have a degree in a specific design field such as graphic design or industrial design. Both may also have certifications in specific software or techniques.

What industries do draftsman and designers typically work in?

Draftsman can work in a variety of industries, including construction, engineering, and manufacturing. Designers, on the other hand, can work in industries such as advertising, fashion, interior design, and product design.