The difference between Auger Electron Spectroscopy and XPS.

In summary, the conversation discussed distinguishing between Auger and core-level loss peaks in the secondary electron spectrum. The "Encyclopedia of Materials Characterization" provides information on artifacts in the spectrum, but there is uncertainty about the meaning of "core-level loss peaks." The secondary electron distribution typically shows a broad peak at lower energies, small Auger peaks, and an elastic scattering peak at higher energies. The topic of exo electron spectroscopy was also brought up, with a request for more information on its principles and role in spectroscopy.
Red
How can we distinguish between Auger and core-level loss peaks (such as in XPS) in the secondary electron spectrum?

Physics news on Phys.org
I looked into the "Encyclopedia of Materials Characterization" under Auger spectroscopy. It lists artifacts in the spectrum, but I am unsure when you say "core-level loss peaks" what is meant and would need to understand it.

The secondary electron (energy) distribution typically shows a broad peak at lower energies, known as "true secondaries" - e.g. a result of scattering and interactions while escaping the sample; then are the small Auger peaks, and to the right (high energies) is the elastic scattering peak of the incident electron beam.

Does this make sense?

Yes it does, thank you!

Hi everyone,

Anyone with a clear view on exo electron spectroscopy?
I couldn’t find a well detailed article or a book in this topic anyone who could help me out with this?

As far I understood its a phenomena which happens when the sample is simultaneously heated and illuminated, emission of exo electron happens!
But what is the principle and how exactky it works and what is the role of this phenomenon on spectroscopy ?
Please help me out with this.

Thank you.

Related to The difference between Auger Electron Spectroscopy and XPS.

1. What is the main difference between Auger Electron Spectroscopy and XPS?

The main difference between Auger Electron Spectroscopy (AES) and X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS) is the type of information they provide. AES measures the kinetic energy of secondary electrons emitted from a sample, while XPS measures the binding energy of core electrons.

2. What types of samples are typically analyzed using AES and XPS?

AES is commonly used to analyze surfaces of inorganic materials, while XPS is used for a wider range of materials including organic compounds and biomaterials.

3. How is the data obtained from AES and XPS interpreted?

In AES, the kinetic energy distribution is used to identify the elements present in a sample and their relative concentrations. In XPS, the binding energy spectrum is used to determine the chemical bonding and electronic states of elements in a sample.

4. What are the advantages of using AES over XPS?

AES has a higher sensitivity and can detect elements with lower atomic numbers. It also has a higher spatial resolution, making it better for studying surface layers. Additionally, AES does not require the use of a vacuum, allowing for in situ analysis of samples.

5. When would it be more appropriate to use XPS instead of AES?

XPS is better suited for analyzing thicker layers and more complex compounds, as it can provide more detailed information about the chemical composition and electronic structure of a sample. It is also more widely available and user-friendly, making it a more popular choice for routine analysis.