The Development of Coulomb's Law

In summary: Coulomb developed the formula that is used today (Coulomb's Law) to calculate the force between two objects. He used a torsion balance to measure the force between two charges.
BelaLuna
Hello, I am new here. I have a question that I cannot seem to find an answer to and is beginning to bother me in the worst way.
I was researching to find out how Coulomb developed the formula that is used today (since I do not have the programme, I shall not even attempt to write it) and found that not one source could give me a straight-forward answer. It simply said that he thought the relationship was caused by two different fluids and that the unit coulomb and Coulomb's Law is named after him. This is leading me to believe that someone else had continued upon the theory, fully explained the relationship, and developed the formula. And if this is so, who? Who developed it?
This may seem silly, but it is frustrating after reading at least eleven different articles of the subject and not being able to find an answer to a relatively simple question. Does anyone have an idea as to who this person may be? Or am I gravely mistaken in thinking that there is another person?

(if this is a double post, i offer my sincerest of apologies, but my internet is acting rather strange tonight and am not sure if this came through)

Physics news on Phys.org
torsion balance

From what i know Coloumb just noted the simple fact that the magnitude of the force one charged object exerts on another (like conducting spheres) is proportional to the amount of charge on both objects and inversly proportional to the distance between them squared.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bcoulomb.png

above is a link to a drawing of the torsion balance he used to make his measurements.

Did some more research and had that question answered, but I still cannot find how Coulomb found the constant "k." It is a queer number and must have been found somehow, but I can't find how he did it. The torsian balance was used, of this I am sure, but how?

The electrostatic can be found by:

[tex]k_c = \frac{1} {4 \pi \epsilon_0}[/tex]

where [itex]\epsilon_0[/itex] is the permittivity of free space and is found by:

[tex]\epsilon_0 = \frac {1} {c^2 \mu_0}[/tex]

Last edited:
BelaLuna said:
Did some more research and had that question answered, but I still cannot find how Coulomb found the constant "k." It is a queer number and must have been found somehow, but I can't find how he did it. The torsian balance was used, of this I am sure, but how?

He simply measured the force for a known pair of charges and a known separation.

To Ranger: I'm not sure Couloumb had the luxury of using those equations, since Couloumbs work preceded that of Gauss and Maxwell! :smile:

Claude.

Related to The Development of Coulomb's Law

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. Who discovered Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law was discovered by French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb in 1785. He conducted experiments to determine the relationship between the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged objects and their distance apart.

3. How did Coulomb's Law contribute to the development of electromagnetism?

Coulomb's Law was a crucial step in the development of electromagnetism. It was one of the first quantitative laws in physics and provided a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of electric charges. It also paved the way for the development of Maxwell's equations, which unified the concepts of electricity and magnetism and led to the understanding of electromagnetic waves.

4. How is Coulomb's Law used in practical applications?

Coulomb's Law has many practical applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits, the behavior of lightning, and the operation of electric motors. It is also used in the field of electrostatics, which studies the behavior of electric charges at rest, and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules.

5. Is Coulomb's Law still relevant today?

Yes, Coulomb's Law is still relevant and widely used in many fields of science and engineering. It is a fundamental law of electromagnetism and is essential in understanding the behavior of electric charges, which is relevant in various technologies, such as electronics, telecommunications, and renewable energy systems.