Mars Rovers: Opportunity at Endurance Crater

• Thread starter pelastration
  • Start date
In summary: The rover has completed its primary 90-day mission and achieved all of its original goals. Now, along with its twin Spirit, which did the same on 5 April, the pair are rapidly closing in on what could be their most interesting and significant targets. Opportunity passed the 90-day mark on Monday and is now just a few days from the rim of the 130-metre wide crater dubbed Endurance. Recent high-resolution imagery taken from orbit indicates that the rover should see much deeper exposures of bedrock than it has found so far. Spirit, on the other side of Mars, has traversed about 1.2 kilometres since its landing and is still 1.8 km from the stratified Columbia Hills.
pelastration
I am still amazed - everyday - about the Rovers on Mars. It's a fantastic achievement of US scientists and manufacturers, and NASA. The whole is done very professional and I like also the coverage through Internet. We can see everyday what's happening with Spirit and Opportunity. http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html

Now the Marsrover Opportunity is almost at the rim of a large crater called Endurance (diameter: 200 meter). The crater is also deep so we will be able to see not just some surface geology.
The images will be beautiful, I am sure.
Some distance photo's show already several thick geologic layers. I think you should take a look.
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gall...30a/1NN094EFF19CYL00P1829L000M1-B095R1_br.jpg.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
More info here:
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994941

The World's No.1 Science & Technology News Service

Mars rovers heading for new horizons

14:42 29 April 04

NewScientist.com news service

"NASA's Mars rover Opportunity has completed its primary 90-day mission and achieved all of its original goals. Now, along with its twin Spirit, which did the same on 5 April, the pair are rapidly closing in on what could be their most interesting and significant targets.

Opportunity passed the 90-day mark on Monday and is now just a few days from the rim of the 130-metre wide crater dubbed Endurance. Recent high-resolution imagery taken from orbit indicates that the rover should see much deeper exposures of bedrock than it has found so far.

Spirit, on the other side of Mars, has traversed about 1.2 kilometres since its landing and is still 1.8 km from the stratified Columbia Hills."

I'm crossing the fingers expecting that these two little adventurers can find life in Mars. This surely will be a revolution in the thought of many people, I'm sure that the world would change completely

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of the Mars Rover Opportunity at Endurance Crater?

The purpose of the Mars Rover Opportunity at Endurance Crater is to gather data and images of the Martian surface and environment in order to better understand the geological history and potential for past or present life on Mars.

2. How long has the Mars Rover Opportunity been exploring Endurance Crater?

The Mars Rover Opportunity has been exploring Endurance Crater since it arrived on Mars in January of 2004. It has been exploring the crater for over 16 years, far surpassing its initial mission duration of 90 days.

3. What discoveries have been made by the Mars Rover Opportunity at Endurance Crater?

The Mars Rover Opportunity has made several important discoveries at Endurance Crater, including evidence of past water flow, sedimentary layers, and minerals that suggest a wet and habitable environment in the past. It also found evidence of ancient impact craters and volcanic activity.

4. How has the Mars Rover Opportunity survived for so long on Mars?

The Mars Rover Opportunity was designed and built to withstand the harsh conditions on Mars, including extreme temperatures and dust storms. It is powered by solar panels and has a durable structure that has allowed it to continue operating for over 16 years.

5. What is the future of the Mars Rover Opportunity at Endurance Crater?

Currently, the Mars Rover Opportunity has been declared officially dead by NASA after a major dust storm in 2018 caused it to lose communication with Earth. However, its legacy lives on through the valuable data and discoveries it made during its 16 years of exploration at Endurance Crater.