The derivation of the volume form in Ricci tensor

In summary: The reason why the second derivative of the volume is equal to the normal-type ordinary derivative in scalar function only is because the scalar s is just the component of the vector s which is the "part of the story". However, in the "second covariant derivative" of a vector they are not equal. The scalar s is just the component of the vector s which is the "part of the story" and is not actually equal to the "component of the second derivative of the [whole vector]"(which is the double-Nabla derivative)
bres gres
TL;DR Summary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQZTYt_Pxcc&list=PLJHszsWbB6hpk5h8lSfBkVrpjsqvUGTCx&index=28

i found there is one problem in the derivation of this volume form in 18:10.
In this derivation,i am not sure why the second derivative of the vector ## S_j '' ## is equal to ## R^{u_j}{}_{xyz} s^y_j v^z y^x##
could anyone explain this bit to me
thank you

it seems ## S_j '' ## is just the "ordinary derivative" part but it is not actually equal to ## R^{u_j}{}_{xyz} s^y_j v^z y^x##

for example: ## d^2(y^i e_i )/dx^2## is not equal to ##d^2(y^i)/dx^2 e^i##
here ## S_j '' ## is just "d(S_j)^2/ dx^2 "" (which is the change of the vector component)without considering the change of the basis vector /connection tensor.
the ##S_j'' ## here is only part of ## R^{u_j}{}_{xyz} s^y_j v^z y^x## ??

The convariant derivative of an input is equal to the normal-type ordinary derivative in scalar function only ,however in the "second covariant derivative" of a vector they are not equal
the scalar s is just the component of the vector s which is the "part of the story"
i can't see why the left side is equal to the right side since they ignore the basis vector
could anyone explain to me
thank you
24955466_10155957833769438_8475860285100326055_o.jpg

Attachments

• 24955466_10155957833769438_8475860285100326055_o.jpg
    24955466_10155957833769438_8475860285100326055_o.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the problem is : in general,"the second derivative of the [component of vector]" itself(which is the double-dot one) is not equal to the "component of the second derivative of the [whole vector]"(which is the double-Nabla derivative)
therefore i am not sure why they are equal

Last edited:
Due to my unclear expression in the first post,i might post my question again here.Hope everyone can read it clear
sorry about that
In this video,the presenter tried to relate the ordinary derivative of the Volume to the Ricci tensor but i get stuck when i try to understand it.

My problem is i don't understand why ##\ddot{s^{u_j} _j} ##
is equal to ## -R^{\mu_j}{}_{xyz} s^y_j v^z y^x##
in 18:10

The reason is
##\ddot{s^{u_j} _j} ##
should not be equal to
## -R^{\mu_j}{}_{xyz} s^y_j v^z y^x##
where ##[\nabla_v\nabla_vS]^{u^j}= -R^{\mu_j}{}_{xyz} s^y_j v^z y^x ##since they are different things.
The former one is just second ordinary derivative and the latter one is the full-form second covariant derivative.

i cannot see why it is not second ordinary derivative since volume itself a scalar.
if you take derivative of the volume with ordinary derivative,then the logic should follow in a similar manner and the second derivative of the vector component
(part of the decomposition because of product rule) should be the ordinary type derivative

I would now give an example why they are not equal.

Given a 2D-Volume(area) which is spanned by vector ##\vec{A} ## and ##\vec{B}##, we can take the derivative:

the volume is ##V=\epsilon_{ijk} A^kB^j##
if you take the ordinary derivative of the volume ##\dfrac {dV} {d\lambda} ##

and this implies you will take the ordinary derivative of ##A^i##(as a result of product rule) which is ##\dfrac{dA^k}{d\lambda} ##
however this is just part of the ##\nabla_vA##:

##[∇vA]^k=\dfrac{dA^k}{d\lambda}[1.]+v^j\gamma^{k}_{ij}[2]=v^j\dfrac{dA^k}{dx^j} + v^j\gamma^{k}_{ij}##where##\gamma^{k}_{ij} ##is the connection factor that is missed out and ##v^j \dfrac{d}{dx^j}##is equal to ##\frac{d}{d\lambda}##.It is shown that the ordinary derivative of ##A^i## is just[1.]and[2] is neglected.
[1.] is just the ordinary derivative part of the volume derivation
[2] is the whole derivative which includes connection factor
it is clear that [1.] is not equal to [2]
Therefore##[∇vA]^k##is not equal to ##\dfrac{dA^k}{d\lambda}##
Follow the similar line of reasoning,i think ##\ddot{S^{\mu_j} _j} ##=##\dfrac{d^2(s^{u_j})}{d\lambda^2}## should not be equal to##[\nabla_v\nabla_vS]^{u^j}## ,i am not sure why they are equal##\ddot{S^{u_j} _j}= \dfrac{d^2(s^{u_j})}{d\lambda^2}= ? ? [∇v∇vS]^{uj}= R^{u_j}{}_{xyz} s^y_j v^z y^x##could anyone help me please

Last edited:
bres gres said:
The former one is just second ordinary derivative

No, it isn't. It is the derivative along a curve: whatever curve you are parallel transporting vectors and angles along using the Levi-Civita connection. The double dot above ##s## means the second derivative with respect to the curve parameter.

PeterDonis said:
No, it isn't. It is the derivative along a curve: whatever curve you are parallel transporting vectors and angles along using the Levi-Civita connection. The double dot above ##s## means the second derivative with respect to the curve parameter.
i see. However the problem is not solved yet.
it seems the presenter is not correct to set ##\ddot{S^{u_j} _j}= [∇v∇vS]^{uj}## as they are different object.(i am not sure??may be he is correct)
the former one is just part of the product: ##\dfrac{dV}{d\lambda} =\epsilon_{ijk} deg(\sqrt(g))[\dfrac{dS^{u_i} _i}{d\lambda}]S^{u_j} _j##

and this $$[\dfrac{dS^{u_i} _i}{d\lambda}]$$ is not equal to$$ [∇vS]^{ui}$$

if this is not the same,then i think the second order derivative one would not be the same as well :(

Last edited:
PeterDonis said:
thank for correcting my mistake.
i should said it is not "ordinary" but "normal-type derivative along the curve"(i mean they don't involve the derivative of basis vector ,therefore there is no connection coefficient involved.

bres gres said:
it seems the presenter is not correct

I don't see anything wrong with the overall logic in the presentation. Some of the notation is confusing to me.

bres gres said:
they are different object

He's not setting them equal because they are the same object. He's setting them equal because the fact that the volume is preserved by parallel transport along a geodesic imposes a relationship between them.

bres gres said:
"normal-type derivative along the curve"(i mean they don't involve the derivative of basis vector ,therefore there is no connection coefficient involved.

This is not correct. There are connection coefficients involved when you write the derivative along the curve in terms of coordinate derivatives. They are not independent of each other.

Related to The derivation of the volume form in Ricci tensor

1. What is the volume form in Ricci tensor?

The volume form in Ricci tensor is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to measure the volume of a curved space. It is represented by a differential form, which is a multilinear function that assigns a number to each tangent space of a manifold. In simpler terms, it is a way to measure the volume of a curved space using a mathematical formula.

2. How is the volume form derived in Ricci tensor?

The volume form in Ricci tensor is derived using the metric tensor, which is a mathematical object that encodes the distance and angle measurements on a manifold. By using the metric tensor, we can calculate the determinant of the metric, which is then used to construct the volume form. This process involves taking the square root of the determinant and multiplying it by the differential form representing the volume element.

3. What is the significance of the volume form in Ricci tensor?

The volume form in Ricci tensor is significant because it allows us to measure the volume of a curved space, which is essential in understanding the geometry and physics of the universe. It is also used in various mathematical and physical equations, such as the Einstein field equations, which describe the curvature of spacetime in general relativity.

4. How does the volume form relate to the Ricci tensor?

The volume form and the Ricci tensor are related through the Ricci scalar, which is a mathematical quantity that represents the curvature of a manifold. The volume form is used to calculate the determinant of the metric, which is then used to calculate the Ricci scalar. The Ricci tensor is then derived from the Ricci scalar, making the volume form an essential component in understanding the curvature of a manifold.

5. Are there any applications of the volume form in Ricci tensor?

Yes, there are various applications of the volume form in Ricci tensor. As mentioned earlier, it is used in the Einstein field equations to describe the curvature of spacetime in general relativity. It is also used in mathematical fields such as differential geometry, where it is used to calculate integrals and solve equations. Additionally, the volume form has applications in physics, such as in the study of black holes and cosmology.