The delightful music of Robin Trower

• Music
  • Thread starter CFDFEAGURU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, I have found that Robin Trower is a great artist to listen to while working with ANSYS. Anyone else like him? He's a genius.
CFDFEAGURU
I have found that Robin Trower is a great artist to listen to while working with ANSYS. Anyone else like him?

Science news on Phys.org
He's a genius. If you like Trower, please try out Eric Johnson, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
CFDFEAGURU said:
I have found that Robin Trower is a great artist to listen to while working with ANSYS. Anyone else like him?
I have most of Trower's ablums on vinyl as well as CD.

Astronuc said:
I have most of Trower's ablums on vinyl as well as CD.
I'm at a bit of a crossroads with vinyl. I have hundreds of albums and they take up a lot of room. Also, I'd like to down-size the home-entertainment furniture to leave more room in this little place, so there might not be room to keep the turntable active anyway. I'm struggling with "letting go" because I have a lot of rare vinyl. Early Fleetwood Mac, Hendrix, odd stuff like Captain Beyond, the first Pure Prairie League album (never released on CD) and something I found in the cutout-bin...Buckingham and Nicks' only album before they joined the last iteration of Fleetwood Mac. Stuff that never sold well, like Johnny Winter's "Birds Can't Row Boats", and other odd stuff, too. I have a friend who buys and sells vinyl in his shop, and he'd treat me fairly, but I'm still hesitant about letting go.

No, I haven't heard Eric Johnson before. (I am only 32 :(

I have a good friend that is in his 50's and he turned me on to all kinds of great music. Anything from Robin Trower to Allison Kraus.

I really like this Eric Johnson, thanks a lot.

Matt

CFDFEAGURU said:
No, I haven't heard Eric Johnson before. (I am only 32 :(

I have a good friend that is in his 50's and he turned me on to all kinds of great music. Anything from Robin Trower to Allison Kraus.

I really like this Eric Johnson, thanks a lot.

Matt
You're welcome, Matt. Eric Johnson is a perfectionist, and he rarely releases a studio album, so there's not much to choose from. BTW, Allison Kraus and Union Station's live double CD is a masterpiece! You won't be disappointed.

turbo-1 said:
I'm at a bit of a crossroads with vinyl. I have hundreds of albums and they take up a lot of room. Also, I'd like to down-size the home-entertainment furniture to leave more room in this little place, so there might not be room to keep the turntable active anyway. I'm struggling with "letting go" because I have a lot of rare vinyl. Early Fleetwood Mac, Hendrix, odd stuff like Captain Beyond, the first Pure Prairie League album (never released on CD) and something I found in the cutout-bin...Buckingham and Nicks' only album before they joined the last iteration of Fleetwood Mac. Stuff that never sold well, like Johnny Winter's "Birds Can't Row Boats", and other odd stuff, too. I have a friend who buys and sells vinyl in his shop, and he'd treat me fairly, but I'm still hesitant about letting go.

Never let go! <3

I've have crates of vinyl, and I still relish the odd new purchase, although they are few and far between these days (and I generally buy online, most of the record stores have closed down /weep). Playing records is a far greater experience than merely pressing play in iTunes!

They do take up an awful lot of room though.

I really like these two.

This one was part of my high school soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBoq8aoWB4E

Not a Union Station song, but it's so easy to fall for Alison when she sings this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbgfQ48hWuY

Adyssa said:
Never let go! <3

I've have crates of vinyl, and I still relish the odd new purchase, although they are few and far between these days (and I generally buy online, most of the record stores have closed down /weep). Playing records is a far greater experience than merely pressing play in iTunes!

They do take up an awful lot of room though.
I can't invest the time to sell this collection on-line, and the Ebay crowd is generally skeptical about quality, anyway.

I have always used manual turntables, and always cleaned every single album-side before playing it with a high-quality electrostatic cleaner. The albums are unfailingly clean and free of pops (apart from pressing defects) so my friend will give me a fair price for them. I just don't know if I want to let them go. Once you have to start calculating storage space in cubic yards instead of lineal feet, though, it seems that this small log house might benefit from getting the albums elsewhere.

Two of my favorite Trower tunes are Bridge of Sighs and About to Begin. The soulful vocals of James Dewar (base player) with Trower on guitar make those songs.

There is a live version someone posted of Dewar singing Bridge of Sighs (first minute of the video is black).

Here is Dewar singing I Can't Wait Much Longer

About To Begin (Really mellow)

For Earth Below is another good tune.

If you like Trower - try programming with these -

:biggrin:

Crank 'em up.

I will give them a try, Astronuc.

Bridge of Sighs is one of my favorites. Also, Twice Removed from Yesterday is very good.

Thanks
Matt

Matt, if you have done much searching on Trower, you will have found that he was a member of Procol Harum in the '60's. You can search YouTube for free, but don't waste any money on their music until you try them first. Trower's guitar talents were buried under lush symphonic arrangements. I never bothered to buy any Procol Harum stuff back then, and stuck with rockers and country-rock hybrids like the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Poco, etc. Those bands had some very good guitarists, though most of their songs were around 3 minutes or less to fit radio formats.

Last edited:
Ahhh, this thread is just what the doctor ordered. I needed this today.

And how did I forget Eric Johnson? He is amazing.

Ms Music said:
Ahhh, this thread is just what the doctor ordered. I needed this today.

And how did I forget Eric Johnson? He is amazing.
Eric Johnson is a monster. Ah Via Musicom is a masterpiece. Hard to keep in mind that it was released over 20 years ago. Plus, he's got such a baby-face that it's hard to believe he's just 2 years younger than myself.

Rocking to some Journey, this music is so good.

Procol Harum stuff ...
All I know is "Whiter Shade of Pale". Did they have any more good tracks?

Matt

CFDFEAGURU said:
All I know is "Whiter Shade of Pale". Did they have any more good tracks?

Matt
Try YouTube, so you can see if you like their other stuff. I can't predict what you might like. I wasn't really keen on the lush arrangements, strings, etc. At the time, I was playing in bands, and tended to listen to the kinds of music that I liked playing: rock, blues, and country-rock, mostly.

I will check them out on youtube.

Thanks
Matt

Rick Wakeman. Ya like him at all?

(How do you embed youtube videos?)

Wakeman's style has been "interesting" at times, playing runs with a paint-roller, for instance. Still, he has been in some hot bands, like the Strawbs and Yes. Pretty progressive stuff!

CFDFEAGURU said:
Rick Wakeman. Ya like him at all?

(How do you embed youtube videos?)

Find the video on youtube and copy the part of the URL after the "=". Paste it between youtube tags, [ YOUTUBE][ /YOUTUBE], which are conveniently found on the tool bar (it's the TV with antenna...antenna, lol!).

Good to see you again, Matt :smile:!

Thanks, Lisab. Its good to be back. :) Been real busy with buying a house last fall and then doing a lot of engineering. Boilers, nuclear storage tanks ... very busy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEyvX2hroME&feature

Matt

I hate to do this to you, Matt, but you should start checking out Chet Atkins stuff. He did so many projects with people like Les Paul, Jerry Reed, Mark Knopfler, etc, that he was more prolific in his older years than at the prime of his career. Put these on an iPad and loop them. You'll be in guitar heaven.

I gave Chet Atkins a try. Not bad, very good guitar music. Thanks for the recommendation.

Matt

CFDFEAGURU said:
I gave Chet Atkins a try. Not bad, very good guitar music. Thanks for the recommendation.

Matt
For the last couple of decades before his death, Atkins developed the habit of pairing with other hot guitarists and recording an entire album with each of them. I think I own them all on CD, as well as his "Certified Guitar Player" CD. He was a treasure. Some former associates of his, like Steve Wariner, are carrying on the tradition of the Nashville Sound.

BTW, if you want to hear some of the hottest country guitarists around, look no further than the New Nashville Cats. Mark O'Connor is one hot guitarist himself, but he's really made a name with his fiddle-playing.

Live version with LOTS of famous guests on TNN.

I would like to thank Astronuc for introducing me to a form of the band, Journey, the I find very easy to listen to. Man, Steve really killed that band, in my opinion.

Thanks
Matt

CFDFEAGURU said:
I would like to thank Astronuc for introducing me to a form of the band, Journey, the I find very easy to listen to. Man, Steve really killed that band, in my opinion.

Thanks
Matt
Journey's first album (1975) was excellent. They went commercial after that. They had a lot of really talented and creative artists, and I think that contributed to internal conflicts. There are many folks that think Steve Perry ruined the band.

The same happened with Blue Öyster Cult in '75. There first four albums ('72-'75) were great, then they went commercial (Top 40 / Pop Rock). :rolleyes:

Chicks love Journey.

Is Bridge of Sighs really "delightful"? Admittedly, it is cool, for the first few plays.

Related to The delightful music of Robin Trower

1. What genre of music does Robin Trower typically play?

Robin Trower is known for playing blues rock and psychedelic rock.

2. How long has Robin Trower been making music?

Robin Trower began his music career in the late 1960s and is still actively making music today.

3. What are some of Robin Trower's most popular songs?

Some of Robin Trower's most popular songs include "Bridge of Sighs," "Too Rolling Stoned," and "Day of the Eagle."

4. Has Robin Trower won any awards for his music?

Robin Trower has not won any major awards, but he has been nominated for a Grammy and has received various honors and accolades from music publications and organizations.

5. Is Robin Trower still performing live?

Yes, Robin Trower continues to tour and perform live shows around the world.