The Curvature of Space-Time and the Big Bang Theory

In summary, the main arguments for space not existing outside our universe were that it would be in our universe if it did, and that we have no evidence to support the existence of anything else.
exponent137
Hi
We know that our universe is closed and that outside of our universeis no space, neither empty space. So, space is only where matter is. There are also other arguments that space is always connected with matter.
What are the main arguments that space does not exist outside our universe as connected with bing-bang and general relativity?

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't know that the universe is closed at all. The data ar consistent with the universe being either open, flat, or closed.

The universe is all of spacetime. The phrase "outside of the universe" does not refer to any place or event in spacetime, and so your question is a nonsense question. I could ask you to tell me what color the grass is north of the north pole, and it would make just as much sense.

Let us assume that space is closed.
I believe you about grass on north poll. I believe in this theory.
But I think that these theories have some deeper arguments than this one. So I ask for these arguments?

Additional conclusion is also, where is no matter is no space. So this is an interesting question for me.

exponent137 said:
So, space is only where matter is.

Have you ever heard of a vacuum? I understand what you're trying to characterize with a statement like this, but it's simply not true. ZikZak's statement that "The universe is all of spacetime" is much better, and you should think of the universe as being defined to be all that is. Of course, this precludes multiverse theories, but it's certainly a good enough starting point for a discussion.

In this framework, the main argument for no spacetime outside our universe were if there existed such spacetime, it would [by definition] be in our universe. That's not very satisfying but if you think about it for a while it might start to make a little bit more sense to you. Another argument which applies much more generally is that we have no evidence to support the fact that there is anything else [other than the space we know]. Why assume the existence of something when we don't have to? Here's an interesting quote which is somewhat related but jumps into my head, from Hawking's book "A Brief History of Time":
A well-known scientist (some say it was Bertrand Russell) once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the center of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy. At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: "What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise." The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, "What is the tortoise standing on?" "You're very clever, young man, very clever", said the old lady. "But it's turtles all the way down!"

I will ask a little differently. Is it possible to put curved 4D space-time in 4D flat space -time?

For instance, let us assume that light travel at infinite speed (or much larger speed). This means that its path is not curved, when it travels close to the sun. Of course, so the definition of time becomes elusive (but let us ignore this). So, is it possible in this case to prolong space out of our universe?

Is it possible to put a black hole in a flat space time, but to say that observer inside or close to the black hole feel different times dilatations and different distances than before, and those are connected with labels in space time before black hole originated in this space-time.

Othewise, this question about general relativity is unclear to me. This is only a question for imagination of general relativity, not for changing it.

exponent137 said:
I will ask a little differently. Is it possible to put curved 4D space-time in 4D flat space -time?

For instance, let us assume that light travel at infinite speed (or much larger speed). This means that its path is not curved, when it travels close to the sun. Of course, so the definition of time becomes elusive (but let us ignore this). So, is it possible in this case to prolong space out of our universe?

Is it possible to put a black hole in a flat space time, but to say that observer inside or close to the black hole feel different times dilatation's and different distances than before, and those are connected with labels in space time before black hole originated in this space-time.

Otherwise, this question about general relativity is unclear to me. This is only a question for imagination of general relativity, not for changing it.
If you are after facts, this thread won't get you anywhere...

If you don't have access to a subscribed encyclopedia try wikipedia, as its almost as good..

Cheers,

Pete..

exponent137 said:
This makes no sense.

exponent137 said:
For instance, let us assume that light travel at infinite speed (or much larger speed). This means that its path is not curved, when it travels close to the sun.
Infinite is silly. Even if much larger, the fact that it curves verfy little doesn't mean space-time is less curved.

Related to The Curvature of Space-Time and the Big Bang Theory

What is the theory behind the Big Bang?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing cosmological model that describes the early development of the Universe. According to this theory, the Universe originated in an extremely hot and dense state about 13.8 billion years ago. Over time, the Universe expanded and cooled, allowing for the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets.

What is the evidence for the Big Bang?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports the Big Bang theory. One of the key pieces of evidence is the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the hot and dense early Universe. Other evidence includes the observed expansion of the Universe, the abundance of light elements, and the distribution of galaxies and clusters.

What happened in the first few moments after the Big Bang?

Immediately after the Big Bang, the Universe was in a state of rapid expansion known as inflation. This period lasted for a fraction of a second and is responsible for the large-scale homogeneity and flatness of the Universe. After inflation, the Universe continued to expand and cool, eventually allowing for the formation of subatomic particles.

What caused the Big Bang?

The exact cause of the Big Bang is still a subject of debate and research among scientists. Some theories propose that the Big Bang was triggered by a quantum fluctuation in a pre-existing state, while others suggest that it was the result of a collision between two universes. Ultimately, the answer to this question is still unknown.

What will happen to the Universe in the future?

Based on current observations and theoretical models, the Universe is expected to continue expanding forever. As the expansion continues, galaxies will become more and more spread apart, and the Universe will become colder and darker. This eventual fate of the Universe is known as the "heat death" or the "Big Freeze."