The Curious Case of White Holes: Unraveling the Mysteries of Spacetime Curvature

In summary, a white hole is a theoretical concept with conflicting propositions about its properties. It is said to have mass, but also to have no mass or negative mass. Like a black hole, it has attractive gravity and objects would be pulled towards it, but they would actually end up inside the associated black hole. The image provided is not a reliable source for understanding white holes.
DaniV
How does white holes curving the space-time manifold?
(I prefer see picture of white hole influence in addition to the explanation).

Physics news on Phys.org
DaniV said:
How does white holes curving the space-time manifold?
(I prefer see picture of white hole influence in addition to the explanation).

It's unlikely that white holes exist, but if you google for "Kruskal diagram" the singularity in region IV is a white hole.

I found this purporting to show a white hole. http://www.universetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/White-Hole.jpg

I have read conflicting propositions on the properties of a white hole. I have read that a white hole: has mass, has no mass and has negative mass.

Additionally, I am not clear about what gravitational effect a white hole would have. I have read that objects would be attracted to a white hole (i.e. it has mass) but that it could never reach the white hole. The image that I presented above seems to represent the idea that a white hole has a negative gravitational impact, (i.e. things would fall away from the white hole.

If this latter interpretation is correct, would it be accurate to say that time would run faster in the center of the white hole?

BobDruzisky said:
I have read conflicting propositions on the properties of a white hole. I have read that a white hole: has mass, has no mass and has negative mass.

You have evidently not been reading reliable sources. A white hole has mass just like a black hole does.

BobDruzisky said:
I have read that objects would be attracted to a white hole (i.e. it has mass) but that it could never reach the white hole.

That is correct. The white hole has mass just like a black hole, so it has attractive gravity. But any white hole must also have a black hole associated with it (at least, in the idealized solution you will find when you follow Nugatory's advice to Google "Kruskal diagram"), and any object that thinks it is falling towards the white hole will actually end up inside the black hole.

BobDruzisky said:
The image that I presented above

Is not a good thing to rely on.

BobDruzisky said:
If this latter interpretation is correct

It isn't. The white hole has attractive gravity. See above.

Likes stoomart

Related to The Curious Case of White Holes: Unraveling the Mysteries of Spacetime Curvature

1. What are white holes?

White holes are hypothetical objects in space that are the opposite of black holes. While black holes have such strong gravitational forces that nothing, including light, can escape from them, white holes are thought to have such strong repulsive forces that nothing can enter them.

2. Do white holes really exist?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that white holes actually exist in our universe. They are a purely theoretical concept based on mathematical models and are not supported by observational data. However, some scientists believe that white holes may have existed in the early universe and could potentially exist in other regions of the universe that we have not yet explored.

3. How are white holes different from black holes?

White holes and black holes have opposite properties. While black holes have an event horizon, a point of no return, white holes have an event horizon that nothing can enter. Black holes have a strong gravitational pull, while white holes have a strong repulsive force. Additionally, black holes are thought to shrink over time, while white holes are thought to grow.

4. What is the relationship between white holes and wormholes?

Some theories suggest that white holes and wormholes are connected. A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel through space-time that could potentially connect two distant points in the universe. It is thought that a white hole could be one end of a wormhole, with the other end being a black hole in a different location in space-time.

5. How do white holes and black holes affect spacetime?

White holes and black holes both have a significant impact on the fabric of space-time. They create distortions in the fabric of space-time, known as gravitational waves, which can be detected by advanced instruments. Additionally, the study of white holes and black holes has led to advancements in our understanding of general relativity and the nature of space-time itself.