The Coriolis Effect Explained: Rivers & Rails in the Hemispheres

• Thread starter jhonn96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary, the right bank of rivers and streams tends to erode on their left side in the northern hemisphere, while the opposite is observed in the southern hemisphere. This is due to the combined effects of the force of coriolis and the deviation of the water flow. Similarly, the asymmetrical wear on the rails, with more wear on the right in the northern hemisphere and on the left in the southern hemisphere, can also be explained by the coriolis effect. Additionally, tropical cyclones swirl in a clockwise direction in the Southern Hemisphere and counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere due to the coriolis force. However, the influence of the coriolis effect on river erosion is minimal and has not been extensively studied.
jhonn96

Homework Statement

1) the right bank of rivers and streams is usually eroded their left side in the northern hemisphere and the reverse is observed in the southern hemisphere, why
2) asymmetrical wear on the rails, right in the northern hemisphere and to the left in the southern hemisphere, explain why
3) tropical cyclone swirling in the direction of clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere and counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere, explain why

The Attempt at a Solution

when I searched for an explanation it includes the force of coriolis and deviation for the first two questions but I didn't get a good explanation yet

Physics news on Phys.org
jhonn96 said:
the right bank of rivers and streams is usually eroded their left side
I have no idea what that means. What is the left side of a right bank? Please check you have quoted this correctly.
Rivers wind about, they are rarely straight. Think about what will happen on different sections, where the river is flowing essentially N, S, E or W.

Likes berkeman
The left and right sides of a river valley are defined by standing in the valley with your back to source/facing the mouth. The right side of the valley is on your right side. I'm not sure that 1.1 is a valid observation. Erosion would be due to stream size, load and other properties of the water flow and also, the composition of the banks--rock and soil types, fractures, etc. The coriolis effect might have an influence, but it's pretty minimal at best. I think in the northern hemisphere, on a river flowing north to south, it's the right bank that might affected. To date, I don't think there have been any credible studies showing any measurable preference to bank erosion due to the coriolis effect.

I'm not sure how to go about measuring a coriolis effect in turbulent flow in a meandering stream, given all the variables. The only way it was shown that the coriolis effect affects the flow in a toilet was to construct a perfect container with a perfect drain and wait about half an hour for the coriolis effect to manifest itself on something that small. In a stream the erosion, (re)deposition of material is such that in a given segment of the valley erosion can be modified by something like a log or debris coming to rest and altering the system.

CapnGranite said:
I'm not sure how to go about measuring a coriolis effect in turbulent flow in a meandering stream, given all the variables. The only way it was shown that the coriolis effect affects the flow in a toilet was to construct a perfect container with a perfect drain and wait about half an hour for the coriolis effect to manifest itself on something that small. In a stream the erosion, (re)deposition of material is such that in a given segment of the valley erosion can be modified by something like a log or debris coming to rest and altering the system.
Scanning the net, I see about equal numbers of people who believe it to be an established fact and those who dismiss it as too insignificant.
The latter seems to be the correct view. The erosion pattern is mostly driven by existing meanders. On a left-hand bend, the water is trying to go straight. The water near the bottom is constrained by friction, while the surface water can migrate to the right more freely. That leads to a clockwise gyration, viewed from upstream, and therefore erodes the right-hand bank.
Over time, the bends get more pronounced. Eventually, consecutive bends the same way become such large loops that they meet and short-circuit. The intervening bend the other way then becomes redundant and may form an ox-bow lake (in Australia, a billabong).

I think it's true that meander patterns determine the overall erosion pattern for that portion of a river. I was trying to figure out how the coriolis effect could be measured given the more massive erosive powers of "normal" river dynamics. I scanned a few sites, American geophysical Union and Geological Society of America in particular to find any papers that actually measured a coriolis effect in rivers. I couldn't find any.

CapnGranite said:
I think it's true that meander patterns determine the overall erosion pattern for that portion of a river. I was trying to figure out how the coriolis effect could be measured given the more massive erosive powers of "normal" river dynamics. I scanned a few sites, American geophysical Union and Geological Society of America in particular to find any papers that actually measured a coriolis effect in rivers. I couldn't find any.
I found http://www.academia.edu/5124473/ESTIMATION_OF_THE_CORIOLIS-FORCE_SIZE_FOR_TISZA_RIVER, but have not read it.

I saw that, too, but I'm not sure about the conclusions.
Abstract: We tried to estimate the size of Coriolis force for Tisza River, which we consider responsible for the westward shifting of the river. We do not deny the tectonic footprints of the river courses, which have mostly locally, well encountered effect, but due to the regional course change we consider that Coriolis force can reach sizes, which long lasting effect change the course of the rivers especially in low land regions, like Great Hungarian Plane. Our estimations refer to the different segment of the Tisza River. In the Great Hungarian Plane where the capacity of work of a river is close to minimum, this can increase in case of rainy periods where foods used to appear. These estimations proves that in such rainy and flood periods, due to the increased density and flow speed, the Coriolis force riches a size, which force work and power depends on the flowing speed following square low. This power is responsible for the bank erosions.

Related to The Coriolis Effect Explained: Rivers & Rails in the Hemispheres

What is the Coriolis Effect?

The Coriolis Effect is a phenomenon that describes the apparent deflection of objects moving along a curved path on the Earth's surface. This deflection is caused by the Earth's rotation on its axis.

How does the Coriolis Effect affect rivers?

The Coriolis Effect can impact the direction of rivers in the Northern and Southern hemispheres. In the Northern Hemisphere, rivers tend to curve to the right, while in the Southern Hemisphere, they tend to curve to the left. This is due to the rotation of the Earth and the influence of the Coriolis Effect.

Does the Coriolis Effect have an impact on railways?

Yes, the Coriolis Effect can also affect the direction of railways. In the Northern Hemisphere, trains may tend to drift to the right, while in the Southern Hemisphere, they may drift to the left. This is because trains are also subject to the Earth's rotation and the Coriolis Effect.

Is the Coriolis Effect visible to the naked eye?

The Coriolis Effect is not directly visible to the naked eye. It is a subtle force that is only noticeable when observing large-scale phenomena, such as the direction of rivers and winds. However, its effects can be seen through careful scientific measurements and observations.

Does the Coriolis Effect impact all objects on Earth?

Yes, the Coriolis Effect influences the movement of all objects on Earth, including the atmosphere, oceans, and even our own bodies. However, its impact is most noticeable on large-scale systems and is not as significant on smaller objects or in our day-to-day lives.