The construction of half silvered mirrors

In summary, half silvered mirrors are created using aluminum vapor and the thickness of the aluminum coating can affect its reflectance and transmittance properties. The mirror can split a beam of light if it's coming from a certain direction and pass the beam if it's coming from a different direction. The transmitted intensity of the "passed" beam can be quantified in terms of coating thickness and transmittance, with detailed results available in various sources such as Born and Wolf and other published articles.
warfreak131
Hello guys,

I have a question about the construction of half silvered mirrors. I read that they are created using aluminum vapor (so some sort of vapor deposition process?). And I read that the thickness of the aluminum coating can affect the reflectance and transmittance properties (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Image-Metal-reflectance.png).

Now it's been a long time since I've done optics, but if I recall correctly a half silvered mirror will split the beam of light if its coming from a certain direction, but pass the beam if it's coming from a different direction. I could be wrong on this, please let me know.

But my question is, how do you quantify the transmitted intensity of the "passed" beam? Such as coating thickness vs transmittance, etc?

Science news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to The construction of half silvered mirrors

1. What is a half silvered mirror?

A half silvered mirror, also known as a semi-transparent mirror, is a type of mirror that reflects about half of the light that hits its surface and transmits the other half. This creates a partially reflective and partially transparent surface.

2. How are half silvered mirrors made?

Half silvered mirrors are typically made by coating a glass or plastic substrate with a thin layer of metal, such as silver or aluminum, on one side. This creates a reflective surface while still allowing light to pass through the other side.

3. What are the uses of half silvered mirrors?

Half silvered mirrors have a variety of uses, including in optical experiments, laser technology, and photography. They are also commonly used in one-way mirrors, where one side appears as a mirror while the other side allows for viewing through the glass.

4. How do half silvered mirrors work?

Half silvered mirrors work by reflecting part of the incoming light and transmitting the rest. This is achieved through the thin metal coating, which allows for some light to pass through while still reflecting a portion of it.

5. Can half silvered mirrors be adjusted to reflect different amounts of light?

Yes, the amount of light reflected by a half silvered mirror can be adjusted by changing the thickness of the metal coating. Thicker coatings will reflect more light, while thinner coatings will transmit more light. This allows for flexibility in the use of half silvered mirrors for different applications.