The conditions and assumptions for the Antoine equation?

In summary: Rayburn, an engineer, is trying to solve a problem. He has been given an equation, the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, and he is trying to solve for the vapor pressure of a liquid. He starts by deriving the Antoine equation, which is an empirical equation that assumes a particular functional form for the effect of temperature on the heat of vaporization. The Antoine equation assumes a particular functional form for the effect of temperature on the heat of vaporization. You can see what that functional form is by taking the derivative of lnPsat with respect to T, and then setting that equal to the derivative of lnPsat with respect to T from the Clausius-Clapeyron equation. This will
Ortanul

Homework Statement

Derive the basic relationship that the Antoine equation represents. Most importantly, explain the underlying condition when the Antoine equation applies and the underlying assumptions for the Antoine equation to be valid.

Homework Equations

Clausius-Clapeyron Equation: dPsat/dT=ΔH/TΔV
Antoine Equation: lnPsat=A-B/(T+C)

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume ΔV=Vgas-Vliq≈Vgas
From the Clausius-Clapeyron Equation, dPsat/dT=ΔH/(T*nRT/P)=ΔH/R * P/T2
Rearrange: dPsat/P=ΔH/R * dT/T2
Perform the integration, lnPsat=A-ΔH/RT=A-B/T, A, B are the constant

I think this should be the basic relationship of the Antoine Equation, even though C is not involved in the equation, as Antoine Equation is an empirical relationship.
However, I don't know what kind of conditions and assumptions I should make before using the Antoine Equation, and they are not explicitly stated in my textbook. Should I consider ΔV=Vgas-Vliq≈Vgas as one of the assumptions?
Any help will be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt it is valid to replace ΔV with V, as you have. That may explain the non-appearance of C.

You need to work backwards. Start with the Antoine equation, and take the derivative with respect to T. Then compare you result with what you get from the Clausius-Clapeyron equation. Then you will see how ΔH is related to the constants in the Antoine equation.

haruspex said:
I doubt it is valid to replace ΔV with V, as you have. That may explain the non-appearance of C.
A key approximation in the derivation of the Clausius-Clapeyron equation is to neglect the specific volume of the saturated liquid in comparison to the specific volume of the saturated vapor. So ΔV is taken as the specific volume of the saturated vapor V.

Chestermiller said:
A key approximation in the derivation of the Clausius-Clapeyron equation is to neglect the specific volume of the saturated liquid in comparison to the specific volume of the saturated vapor. So ΔV is taken as the specific volume of the saturated vapor V.
Chestermiller said:
You need to work backwards. Start with the Antoine equation, and take the derivative with respect to T. Then compare you result with what you get from the Clausius-Clapeyron equation. Then you will see how ΔH is related to the constants in the Antoine equation.
I'll try to derive the equation again later. Thank you for your help!
Apart from that, if Antoine Equation can be fully derived from Clausius-Clapeyron Equation, I wonder why it is a empirical equation as stated on my book. Besides, could you please tell me if there is any other necessary assumption for the Antoine Equation itself apart from the negligible volume of liquid?

Ortanul said:
I'll try to derive the equation again later. Thank you for your help!
Apart from that, if Antoine Equation can be fully derived from Clausius-Clapeyron Equation, I wonder why it is a empirical equation as stated on my book. Besides, could you please tell me if there is any other necessary assumption for the Antoine Equation itself apart from the negligible volume of liquid?
The Antoine equation assumes a particular functional form for the effect of temperature T on the heat of vaporization ΔH. You can see what that functional form is by taking the derivative of lnPsat with respect to T, and then setting that equal to the derivative of lnPsat with respect to T from the Clausius-Clapeyron equation. This will give you the functional form they assume for ΔH vs T in the Antoine equation.

Chet

Likes Ortanul

Related to The conditions and assumptions for the Antoine equation?

1. What is the Antoine equation?

The Antoine equation is a mathematical formula used to predict the vapor pressure of a pure substance as a function of temperature. It is commonly used in thermodynamics and chemical engineering.

2. What are the conditions for using the Antoine equation?

The Antoine equation is only applicable to pure substances, meaning it cannot be used for mixtures. Additionally, it is most accurate at atmospheric pressure and within a certain temperature range for each substance.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Antoine equation?

The Antoine equation assumes that the substance is in equilibrium between its liquid and vapor phases, and that the vapor is ideal. It also assumes that the substance follows the ideal gas law and that the heat of vaporization is constant over the temperature range of interest.

4. How is the Antoine equation derived?

The Antoine equation is derived by fitting experimental data of vapor pressure and temperature for a specific substance to a three-parameter equation. This equation is then used to calculate the vapor pressure at any given temperature within the range of data used to fit the equation.

5. What are the limitations of the Antoine equation?

The Antoine equation is based on experimental data and may not accurately predict vapor pressure at temperatures outside of the range used in its derivation. It also does not account for pressure effects, which can be significant at high pressures. Additionally, it may not be suitable for substances with complex molecular structures or those that deviate from ideal behavior.