The commutator of position and momentum - interpretation?

In summary, the commutation relation between the position and momentum operators in Quantum Mechanics is a postulate and can be interpreted as the difference between a translation in position space and a translation in momentum space. This can also be seen mathematically by considering the action of the translation operator and the gradient of the semiclassical wave function.
Kontilera
Hello friends!
Im trying to get an geometric interpretation of QM and am now confused about the commutation relation between operators.
Lets take momentum and position... sure, the fact that they don't commute show that we can not diagonalize them simultanesly.
But what is the interpretation of the matrix that we get we we take the commutator? (i hbar I.)

Is it the difference we get when we change the order of a translation in position space and a translation i momentumspace?
(I cannot help to try to relate this commutator relation to the fact that P is used when defining the unitary operator for position translation etc.)

All the best!
/ Kontilera

Physics news on Phys.org
Sakurai refers to classical mechanics to explain why we should expect momentum to be the generator of translation in position space, is there any nice mathematical way to see this? Or is it a physical postulate that I should accept to work?

The semi-classical form of the wave function of a particle is:
[tex]
\Psi(\mathbf{x}, t) \equiv \langle \mathbf{x} \vert \Psi, t \rangle \sim \exp \left( \frac{i}{\hbar} S(\mathbf{x}, t) \right)
[/tex]
This should be accepted as a kind of a postulate of Quantum Mechanics, which is the mathematical formulation of Bohr's Correspondence Principle, and a starting point in deriving the WKB approximation to the Schroedinger equation.

Now, as you said, the action of an infinitesimal translation operator is:
[tex]
\hat{T}(\delta \mathbf{a}) \, \left\vert \mathbf{x} \right\rangle \equiv \left\vert \mathbf{x} + \delta\mathbf{a} \right\rangle \approx \left[ \hat{1} - \frac{i}{\hbar} \, \delta \mathbf{a} \cdot \hat{\mathbf{P}} \right] \, \left\vert \mathbf{x} \right\rangle
[/tex]
Multiplying from the left by a state bra [itex]\langle \psi \vert[/itex], we get:
[tex]
\langle \psi \vert \mathbf{x} + \delta\mathbf{a} \rangle \approx \langle \psi \vert \mathbf{x} \rangle - \frac{i}{\hbar} \delta\mathbf{a} \cdot \langle \psi \vert \hat{\mathbf{P}} \vert \mathbf{x} \rangle
[/tex]
Taking the hermitian adjoint of the above equality and using Taylor's formula:
[tex]
\langle \mathbf{x} + \delta\mathbf{a} \vert \psi \rangle \approx \langle \mathbf{x} \vert \psi \rangle + \delta\mathbf{a} \cdot \nabla \langle \mathbf{x} \vert \psi \rangle
[/tex]
we get the following expression for the action of the generator of translations in x-representation:
[tex]
\left\langle \mathbf{x} \right\vert \hat{\mathbf{P}} \left\vert \psi \right\rangle = \frac{\hbar}{i} \, \nabla \, \left\langle \mathbf{x} \right\vert \psi \left. \right\rangle
[/tex]
On the other hand, the gradient of the semiclassical wave function is:
[tex]
\nabla \Psi(\mathbf{x}, t) \sim \frac{i}{\hbar} \nabla S(\mathbf{x}, t) \, \Psi(\mathbf{x}, t)
[/tex]
Thus, we have:
[tex]
\left\langle \mathbf{x} \right\vert \hat{\mathbf{P}} \left\vert \Psi, t\right\rangle \sim \nabla S(\mathbf{x}, t) \, \left\langle \mathbf{x} \right\vert \Psi, t \left. \right\rangle
[/tex]

But, in classical mechanics, we know that the gradient of the action w.r.t. to the endpoint of the trajectory [itex]\nabla S(\mathbf{x}, t)[/itex] is the momentum [itex]\mathbf{p}[/itex] of the particle. Therefore [itex]\hat{\mathbf{P}}[/itex] is indeed the linear momentum operator in Quantum Mechanics.

Related to The commutator of position and momentum - interpretation?

1. What is the commutator of position and momentum?

The commutator of position and momentum is a mathematical expression that represents the order in which two operators, corresponding to the position and momentum of a particle, are applied to a wave function. It is written as [x,p] and is equal to iħ, where x is the position operator, p is the momentum operator, i is the imaginary unit, and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

2. Why is the commutator of position and momentum important?

The commutator of position and momentum is important because it is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It helps determine the uncertainty in measuring the position and momentum of a particle, and is a key component in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. It also plays a crucial role in the derivation of the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system.

3. What is the physical interpretation of the commutator of position and momentum?

The physical interpretation of the commutator of position and momentum is that it quantifies the non-commutativity of these two observables in quantum mechanics. This means that the order in which these operators are applied affects the outcome of the measurement, and there is a fundamental limit to how accurately both position and momentum can be simultaneously measured.

4. How does the commutator of position and momentum relate to uncertainty in quantum mechanics?

The commutator of position and momentum is directly related to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics. The uncertainty principle states that the product of the uncertainties in measuring the position and momentum of a particle cannot be smaller than the reduced Planck's constant. This is mathematically represented by the commutator [x,p] = iħ.

5. Can the commutator of position and momentum be measured experimentally?

No, the commutator of position and momentum cannot be directly measured in experiments. It is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two operators and cannot be directly observed. However, its effects can be seen in the uncertainty principle and other phenomena in quantum mechanics.