The Commutator in Group Theory vs QM

In summary, the commutator for group theory, [X,Y]=X^{-1}Y^{-1}XY, and the quantum commutator, [X,Y]=XY-YX, may seem unrelated at first, but they share many properties. In group theory, the commutators generate a subgroup called the commutator subgroup, while in quantum mechanics, the commutator ideal generates an abelian ring. They both measure how abelian a group or ring is, respectively. In a non-abelian group, the normal closure of all commutators is the smallest subgroup that can make the group abelian. Similarly, in a non-commutative ring, the ideal generated by commutators is the smallest ideal
chickenz
The commutator for group theory is
[tex] [X,Y]=X^{-1}Y^{-1}XY [/tex] whereas the quantum commutator is [tex] [X,Y]=XY-YX [/tex].

At first glance, the two commutators seem to be totally unrelated because the quantum commutator speaks of two binary operations whereas group theory has one binary operation. However, are they related?

Also the commutator in QM has a simple interpretation: in some weird sense, it's how far two observables are from being simultaneously measurable. Any simple interpretation to the anti-commutator [tex] [X,Y]_{+}=XY+YX [/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
The are related in a way: they share many of the same properties. So do all the commutators of a group G generate a subgroup of G, called the commutator subgroup (or derived subgroup). If you quotient G w.r.t. the commutator subgroup, then your quotient will be abelian. Moreover, G is the smallest subgroup with that property.

The quantum commutator (which I interpret as the commutator of a ring) has the same property. Quotienting w.r.t. the commutator ideal is an abelian ring, and it is the smallest such ideal.

So commutators in a way measure how abelian everything is. And this is the same for every commutator. That's the link between the two notions of commutators. Perhaps there is another one, but that's all I know...

let's put it this way:

suppose G is non-abelian, and you wanted a subgroup H of G, such that G/H is abelian.

so Hxy = Hyx, which means that H = Hyxx^-1y^-1 = Hxyx^-1y^-1 = H[x,y],

so [x,y] has to be in H for all x,y in G.

so the normal closure of the set of all commutators is the subgroup we want.

it turns out the subgroup generated by all the commutators is normal, so its normal closure is itself.

now let's look at rings.

we have a non-commutative ring, R, and we want to define an ideal A, so that R/A is commutative.

so (x + A)(y + A) = (y + A)(x + A) the fact that rings have two operations makes this equation:

xy + A = yx + A, so we must have all elements of the form xy - yx in A, so

the ideal generated by all [x,y] = xy - yx is the ideal we want.

Thanks!

So, now my question is more of a physics one:
Suppose we have a quantum mechanical Hilbert Space H. Is there an interpretation to the set H/[H,H]? (other than the fact that it's the smallest quotient of H that is Abelian - I'm looking for a physics interpretation here)

i'm not much of a physicist, but i think there may be.

one interpretation of AB is: first apply B, then apply A.

if AB - BA = 0, this means that it doesn't matter which order you apply the operators in, so we have "time invariance".

so H/[H,H] ought to be a space of "time-invariant operators". in general, you should be able to make a Hilbert space which is asymmetric with respect to "blank (fill in the appropriate thing here)", symmetric with respect to "blank", by taking a suitable commutator.

to use your example, if commutators measure how far events are from being simultaneously measurable, then mod the commutator, every event should be simultaneously measurable (we've "shrunk down the distance (time?) to 0").

Deveno said:
i'm not much of a physicist, but i think there may be.

one interpretation of AB is: first apply B, then apply A.

if AB - BA = 0, this means that it doesn't matter which order you apply the operators in, so we have "time invariance".

so H/[H,H] ought to be a space of "time-invariant operators". in general, you should be able to make a Hilbert space which is asymmetric with respect to "blank (fill in the appropriate thing here)", symmetric with respect to "blank", by taking a suitable commutator.

to use your example, if commutators measure how far events are from being simultaneously measurable, then mod the commutator, every event should be simultaneously measurable (we've "shrunk down the distance (time?) to 0").

Hmm... I'm not sure I buy that, but thanks for trying.

Maybe it's not worthwhile, from a physics standpoint, to think about what [H,H] means.

The QM definition of commutator is the definition for a Lie Algebra. That's the set of generators for many continuous groups.

I'll show how it works. Let

g1 = I + e*a1*L1
g2 = I + e*a2*L2

where e is a small parameter.

Their commutator:
g1.g2.inv(g1).inv(g2) = I + e2*a1*a2*(L1.L2 - L2.L1) + ...

Related to The Commutator in Group Theory vs QM

1. What is the commutator in group theory and how does it relate to quantum mechanics?

The commutator in group theory is a mathematical operation that measures the extent to which two elements in a group do not commute, or do not follow the same order of operations. In quantum mechanics, the commutator is used to define the uncertainty principle, which states that certain pairs of measurements cannot be known simultaneously with perfect accuracy.

2. How does the commutator affect the measurements and predictions in quantum mechanics?

The commutator plays a crucial role in determining the possible outcomes of measurements in quantum mechanics. It helps to define the uncertainty principle and determines the limits of precision in which certain properties of a quantum system can be known. Without the commutator, our understanding of quantum mechanics would be incomplete.

3. Can the commutator be applied to any group or is it specific to quantum mechanics?

The concept of the commutator is applicable to any group, not just in quantum mechanics. It is a fundamental operation in group theory and is used to study the properties and structures of different groups. However, in quantum mechanics, the commutator has a specific interpretation and is essential in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

4. How does the commutator relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a consequence of the commutator in quantum mechanics. It states that the more precisely one property of a particle is known, the less precisely another property can be known, and vice versa. This is because the commutator of two operators representing these properties does not equal zero, indicating that they do not commute.

5. Can the commutator be used to solve problems in quantum mechanics?

Yes, the commutator is a valuable tool in solving problems in quantum mechanics. It allows us to calculate the uncertainties in measurements, determine the allowed energy states of a system, and understand the fundamental properties of quantum systems. By using the commutator, we can make predictions and better understand the behavior of quantum particles.