"The Chase" Quiz Show -- probability of being caught by the Chaser

In summary: This could help people to understand and assist you.In summary, the conversation discusses a quiz show called "The Chase" and a round called "head-to-head" or "individual chase". The goal is for the contestant to reach "home" before the "Chaser" catches up. The probability of being caught depends on the intelligence level of the contestant and the Chaser, represented by the probabilities of answering a question correctly. A table is provided to help calculate the values for P_{8,4}, P_{8,5}, and P_{8,6} in terms of these probabilities. The poster is looking for a simpler or more direct method to solve the equation for P_{m,n}.
skiller
Hello everybody. :)

If any of you have seen the quiz show "The Chase", then you will understand the background to what I am about to describe. If not, here are wiki links for the original UK version and the similar US version.

My question is inspired by the "head-to-head" or "individual chase" round. In brief, your goal, as the contestant, is to reach "home" (or the "bank") before the "Chaser" catches up with you. The Chaser starts at step 8 and you can choose to start at step 4, 5 or 6. You are both simultaneously asked a question and if you answer correctly, you move down one step closer to home (step 0), otherwise you stay where you are.

For example, should you choose to start at step 6, and you get the first question wrong but the Chaser gets it right, then you will stay at step 6, but the Chaser will move down from step 8 to step 7, only one step behind you now. If the same thing were to happen on the second question then again you will stay at step 6 and the Chaser will move down from step 7 to step 6 and thus will have caught you and the game is over.

My question is what is the probability of being caught by the Chaser if you choose to start at step 4. Similarly for step 5, and for step 6?

Obviously we need more information. We need to know the respective probabilities of you and the Chaser answering a question correctly. For simplicity's sake, let's rate the intelligence of both you and the Chaser by giving you each a number from 0 to 1, which equates to your probability of answering any given question correctly.

My attempt

Notation:

Let [itex]P_{m,n}[/itex] be the probability of at some point being caught if you are currently at step [itex]n[/itex] and the Chaser is at step [itex]m[/itex], [itex]m>n>0[/itex].

Let [itex]p[/itex] be the probability of you answering any given question correctly.

Let [itex]q[/itex] be the probability of the Chaser answering any given question correctly.

So my question, in more explicit terminology, is what are the values of [itex]P_{8,4}[/itex], [itex]P_{8,5}[/itex] and [itex]P_{8,6}[/itex], in terms of [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]q[/itex]?

If, in addition to the definition of [itex]P_{m,n}[/itex] above, we also define the following:
[tex]P_{r,r}=1\text{, for }r>0[/tex][tex]P_{r,0}=0\text{, for }r=0[/tex]then, without being rigorous (although I could be if you want me to), I think it's pretty obvious to see that:
[tex]P_{m,n}=aP_{m,n}+bP_{m-1,n}+cP_{m,n-1}+dP_{m-1,n-1}\text{ for }m>n>0[/tex]where:
\begin{cases}
a=(1-p)(1-q) &\text{(both you and the Chaser answer the next question incorrectly)}\\
b=(1-p)q &\text{(you are incorrect and the Chaser is correct)}\\
c=p(1-q) &\text{(you are correct and the Chaser is incorrect)}\\
d=pq &\text{(both you and the Chaser are correct)}
\end{cases}or
[tex]P_{m,n}=
\begin{cases}
\frac{bP_{m-1,n}+cP_{m,n-1}+dP_{m-1,n-1}}{1-a} &\text{ for }a\neq 1\\
1 &\text{ for }a=1
\end{cases}[/tex]If [itex]a=0[/itex], then [itex]p=q=0[/itex] and both you and the Chaser would ALWAYS give incorrect answers and the game would continue forever with no outcome - so let's discard this scenario!

m\n

0​

1​

-​

-​

-​

-​

-​

0​

[itex]P_{2,1}[/itex]​

1​

-​

-​

-​

-​

0​

[itex]P_{3,1}[/itex]​

[itex]P_{3,2}[/itex]​

1​

-​

-​

-​

0​

[itex]P_{4,1}[/itex]​

[itex]P_{4,2}[/itex]​

[itex]P_{4,3}[/itex]​

1​

-​

-​

0​

[itex]P_{5,1}[/itex]​

[itex]P_{5,2}[/itex]​

[itex]P_{5,3}[/itex]​

[itex]P_{5,4}[/itex]​

1​

-​

0​

[itex]P_{6,1}[/itex]​

[itex]P_{6,2}[/itex]​

[itex]P_{6,3}[/itex]​

[itex]P_{6,4}[/itex]​

[itex]P_{6,5}[/itex]​

1​

0​

[itex]P_{7,1}[/itex]​

[itex]P_{7,2}[/itex]​

[itex]P_{7,3}[/itex]​

[itex]P_{7,4}[/itex]​

[itex]P_{7,5}[/itex]​

[itex]P_{7,6}[/itex]​

0​

[itex]P_{8,1}[/itex]​

[itex]P_{8,2}[/itex]​

[itex]P_{8,3}[/itex]​

[itex]P_{8,4}[/itex]​

[itex]P_{8,5}[/itex]​

[itex]P_{8,6}[/itex]​

In order to find the values of [itex]P_{8,4}[/itex], [itex]P_{8,5}[/itex] and [itex]P_{8,5}[/itex], I find the table above quite useful to visualize what is needed. The equation for [itex]P_{m,n}[/itex] I wrote above shows that you can calculate the value for any cell in this table, provided you already have the values for 3 particular cells around it, eg [itex]P_{6,3}[/itex] can be calculated from the values [itex]P_{5,3}[/itex], [itex]P_{6,2}[/itex] and [itex]P_{5,2}[/itex].

So, if I start at the top-left, I can populate the table until I eventually reach the 3 values I need. The values in column 1 are easy:
[tex]P_{m,1}=\frac{bP_{m-1,1}+cP_{m,0}+dP_{m-1,0}}{1 - a}=\frac{b}{1-a}P_{m-1,1}[/tex]
We know [itex]P_{1,1}=1[/itex]

so [itex]P_{m,1}=\left( \frac{b}{1-a} \right) ^{m-1}[/itex]

However, the rest of the grid I'm finding a lot harder to fill in. For example:

[tex]P_{m,2}=\frac{bP_{m-1,2}+c\left( \frac{b}{1-a}\right) ^{m-1}+d\left( \frac{b}{1-a}\right) ^{m-2}}{1-a}[/tex]and I can't see a simple way of calculating these values other than plugging away. The rest of the columns get more and more convoluted as [itex]m[/itex] increases.

Sorry for the long post, but I can't help feeling that there must be a simpler way of doing this. Can anyone simplify my method, or even provide a more direct method of solving the equation:

[tex]P_{m,n}=aP_{m,n}+bP_{m-1,n}+cP_{m,n-1}+dP_{m-1,n-1}[/tex]?

Thanks for reading! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to "The Chase" Quiz Show -- probability of being caught by the Chaser

1. What is the probability of being caught by the Chaser on "The Chase" Quiz Show?

The probability of being caught by the Chaser on "The Chase" Quiz Show depends on various factors such as the skill level of the contestants, the difficulty of the questions, and the strategies used by the Chaser. Generally, the probability can range from 50% to 90%.

2. How does the Chaser determine which contestants to catch?

The Chaser uses a combination of their extensive knowledge, quick thinking, and strategic gameplay to determine which contestants to catch. They often target weaker players or those who have already lost a significant amount of money.

3. Is the probability of being caught by the Chaser the same for all contestants?

No, the probability of being caught by the Chaser may vary for each contestant depending on their individual performance. The Chaser may have a higher chance of catching a contestant who has performed poorly in the game compared to someone who has answered most questions correctly.

4. Can the contestants increase their chances of avoiding being caught by the Chaser?

Yes, the contestants can increase their chances of avoiding being caught by the Chaser by answering more questions correctly and strategically choosing which questions to answer. They can also work together as a team to increase their chances of winning.

5. What happens if all contestants are caught by the Chaser?

If all contestants are caught by the Chaser, they lose the game and go home empty-handed. However, if at least one contestant manages to outrun the Chaser and make it to the Final Chase round, they have a chance to win the accumulated prize money for their team.