Maximizing TNT Production from Toluene: A Chemical Problem Solved

• Thread starter ignorant1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of nitric acid in the production of trinitrotoluene (TNT) and how much TNT can be made from a given amount of toluene. The solution involves converting the mass of toluene into moles and then using the molar mass to calculate the amount of TNT that can be produced.
ignorant1
so easy, and yet so hard...

I have a really easy problem in my chemistry class, bot somehow, i can't seem to come out with the right answer... well, here it is...(by the way, i don't know how to write out the sub-scripts...)

Nitric acid is used in the production of trintrolune (tnt), an explosive.
C7 H8 +3 HNO3 ---->C7 H5 N3 06 + 3 H2O
tolune TNT
How much TNT can be made from 46 kegs of toluene?

:confused: =me

Physics news on Phys.org
Normally, only [tex]C_2H_5OH[/tex] comes measured in kegs (of course, it's normally diluted by some other indredients when it comes by the keg). Do you mean kilograms?

If so, you need to divide the mass by the molar mass of your substance to find out how many moles of [tex]C_7H_8[/tex] you have (since nitric acid is cheap, you can add however much you need).

I imagine your answer is supposed to be measured in kilograms, as well. Same as the first, but in the opposite direction. Multiply the number of moles of TNT by the molar mass.

thanks!

thanks, that really helps! :biggrin:

What does "So easy, and yet so hard" mean?

"So easy, and yet so hard" refers to the idea that something may seem simple or straightforward, but in reality, it is difficult to achieve or master.

Why is something considered "so easy, and yet so hard"?

Something may be considered "so easy, and yet so hard" because it requires a high level of skill, knowledge, or effort to accomplish, despite appearing simple on the surface.

Can you give an example of something that is "so easy, and yet so hard"?

An example of something that is "so easy, and yet so hard" could be learning a new language. On one hand, the concept of learning vocabulary and grammar rules may seem easy, but in reality, it takes a lot of time and practice to become fluent.

How can something be both easy and hard at the same time?

Something can be both easy and hard at the same time because different aspects or levels of it may be easy or difficult. For example, the basics of cooking may be easy to learn, but creating complex dishes can be challenging.

Is "so easy, and yet so hard" a common phrase?

Yes, "so easy, and yet so hard" is a common phrase used to describe tasks, skills, or concepts that have a deceptively simple appearance but are actually difficult to achieve or master.

Back