The cauchy problem and the equations

• Thread starter shadi_s10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cauchy
In summary, the author tried to use the riemannian tensor: R_abcd, tried to contract indices a and c, but there are some gamma terms which he does not know how to do with. He thinks there is something wrong with his solution as first it had derived the rimannian tensors and then the metric and the derivatives. He eventually got the Ricci tensor from the following definition: R_{ab}=g^{dc}R_{cabd}, where R_{cabd}=g_{ck}R^{k}_{abd} is the covariant Riemann tensor. Doing 10 minutes of work on the expansion of terms after taking into consideration geodesic
shadi_s10
Hi everyone!
again d'inverno!
to tell the truth I don't really understand what is going on in the cauchy problem!

1)
in section 13.5 "the cauchy problem", it is said that the field equations can be written as the forms in 13.12 to 13.14
can anyone tell me how?

actually I tried to use the riemannian tensor : R_abcd
then I tried to contract indices a and c
but there are some gamma terms which I don not know what to do with.

2)
moreover it is said that if you use the equation that transforms g_ab to g_ab prime (at the end of page 175) , you can get to 13.18

I do not understand how is this one possible:

1L8kOS.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
please somebody help me with it!

shadi_s10 said:
Hi everyone!
again d'inverno!
to tell the truth I don't really understand what is going on in the cauchy problem!

1)
in section 13.5 "the cauchy problem", it is said that the field equations can be written as the forms in 13.12 to 13.14
can anyone tell me how?

actually I tried to use the riemannian tensor : R_abcd
then I tried to contract indices a and c
but there are some gamma terms which I don not know what to do with.

These equations can be simply verified. Show us what you've done so far so we could be able to help you out! Please use Latex to typeset equations and if you don't know how to do it, use this picture stuff for a quick understanding.

Your approach is good.

2)
moreover it is said that if you use the equation that transforms g_ab to g_ab prime (at the end of page 175) , you can get to 13.18

I do not understand how is this one possible:

1L8kOS.jpg

Catching the glimpse of metric indices carefully, plug (13.17) into the transformation formula to get those equations.

AB
AB

Hi again!
you are right. the second one was so easy. I derived it correctly.
but about the first one,I mean equations (13.12)-(13.14) here is what I've done:

1ObIM0.jpg

I know that one can do the rest by using gamma definition which is based on the metric.
but isn't it too long?!
I feel there is something wrong with my solution as first it had derived the rimannian tensors and then the metric and the derivatives. (13.18)
so maybe I should do something else...

shadi_s10 said:
Hi again!
you are right. the second one was so easy. I derived it correctly.
but about the first one,I mean equations (13.12)-(13.14) here is what I've done:

1ObIM0.jpg

I know that one can do the rest by using gamma definition which is based on the metric.
but isn't it too long?!
I feel there is something wrong with my solution as first it had derived the rimannian tensors and then the metric and the derivatives. (13.18)
so maybe I should do something else...

I think you have serious problems with the understanding of tensor calculus!

First off, the Ricci tensor [tex]R_{ab}[/tex] is given by

[tex]R_{ab}=R^{c}_{abc}=\Gamma_{ab}^{c}_{,c}-\Gamma_{ac}^{c}_{,b}+\Gamma_{ab}^{c}\Gamma_{cd}^{d}-\Gamma_{ad}^{c}\Gamma_{bc}^{d}[/tex].

Secondly, you can get the Ricci tensor from the following definition:

[tex]R_{ab}=g^{dc}R_{cabd}[/tex], (1)

where [tex]R_{cabd}=g_{ck}R^{k}_{abd}[/tex] is the covariant Riemann tensor. Do you know anything about the geodesic coordinates? If yes, split [tex]R_{cabd}[/tex] into two categories of terms, one containg all terms of second order and the other including in all terms of first order. So spending 10 minutes of your time on the expansion of terms after bringing into consideration the geodesic coordinates (for the sake of convenience, as this is not necessary) you'll end up getting a straightforward expression for [tex]R_{cabd}[/tex], only consisting of second derivatives of metric tensor. Then turn to computing the Ricci tensor using (1) which will give you all those equations that you are after by a componential analysis.

AB

Last edited:

Related to The cauchy problem and the equations

1. What is the Cauchy problem and why is it important in mathematics?

The Cauchy problem is a type of initial value problem in which the solution to a differential equation is determined by specifying its initial conditions. It is important in mathematics because it allows us to find unique solutions to equations and provides a foundation for many mathematical theories and applications.

2. What are the key concepts and techniques used to solve Cauchy problems?

The key concepts and techniques used to solve Cauchy problems include differential equations, boundary conditions, initial conditions, and various analytical and numerical methods such as separation of variables, Laplace transforms, and finite difference methods.

3. What are some real-world applications of the Cauchy problem?

The Cauchy problem has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems such as fluid flow, heat transfer, population dynamics, and financial markets.

4. What is the difference between a well-posed and ill-posed Cauchy problem?

A well-posed Cauchy problem is one that has a unique solution that depends continuously on the initial conditions. An ill-posed Cauchy problem, on the other hand, has either no solution or multiple solutions that are sensitive to small changes in the initial conditions.

5. Can the Cauchy problem be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Cauchy problem can be extended to higher dimensions by considering partial differential equations instead of ordinary differential equations. This allows for the study of systems that vary in both space and time, such as wave equations, heat equations, and fluid dynamics equations.