The Category Grp - Aluffi - Section 3.3 - basic question/clarification

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Section
In summary, Aluffi discusses the category Grp, where the objects are groups and the morphisms are group homomorphisms. In Section 3.3, he introduces the function i_G: G -> G, defined as i(g) = g^-1, causing confusion for the reader. The author clarifies that the notation i_G and i are interchangeable and that the function only deals with inverses. The function is important because it preserves the identity and inverses, highlighting the "group-ness" of homomorphisms.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paolo Aluffi's book, Algebra: Chapter 0.

I am studying Chapter II: Groups, first encounter. In Section 3 of this chapter, Aluffi deals with the category Grp in which the objects are groups and the morphisms are group homomorphisms.

Section 3,3, which is a pause for reflection, reads as follows:View attachment 2668

I am somewhat confused by the specific function described in that Aluffi writes:

\(\displaystyle i_G \: \ G \to G , \ \ i(g) := g^{-1} \).I have two rather simple questions:

1. Why do we have \(\displaystyle i_G \) in one place and \(\displaystyle i \) in the other - that is, shouldn't the above read \(\displaystyle i_G \: \ G \to G , \ \ i_G(g) := g^{-1} \)?

2. Aluffi mentions both the identity element and inverses, but the function he considers seems to only deal with inverses? What is going on?

I realize that these are pretty simple issues, but would appreciate someone clarifying the situation for me.

Peter

***EDIT*** I have been reflecting on the above and now feel, regarding question 2 above, that I misunderstood what Aluffi was saying - the function specified only referred to inverses.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes. But the map $i$ and $m$ as well are defined the same way for all groups $G$, so no confusion should occur.

2. The point is: any SEMI-GROUP homomorphism between groups is also a group homomorphism, since for any homomorphism:

$\varphi: G \to G'$

we have:

$\varphi(e_G) = e_{G'}$

$\varphi(g^{-1}) = [\varphi(g)]^{-1}$

which high-lights something about "group-ness", just preserving the map $m$ (in the sense that:

$\varphi \circ m_G = m_{G'} \circ (\varphi \times \varphi)$)

ensures that $\varphi$ preserves $i$ and $e$ (which we can think of as a "special" map $e:1 \to G$):

$\varphi \circ i_G = i_{G'} \circ \varphi$

$\varphi \circ e_G = e_{G'}$

To see why this is special, note that a similar assertion is NOT TRUE for monoids: a semi-group homomorphism between monoids does NOT necessarily preserve the identity, and this condition must be stipulated as an additional condition to have a monoid homomorphism.

Related to The Category Grp - Aluffi - Section 3.3 - basic question/clarification

1. What is the Category Group, Aluffi, and Section 3.3?

The Category Group refers to a specific mathematical concept that deals with the study of categories and their properties. Aluffi is the last name of the author of the book "Algebra: Chapter 0" which contains the topic of Category Group in Section 3.3.

2. What is the significance of Section 3.3 in Aluffi's book?

Section 3.3 in Aluffi's book serves as an introduction to the concept of Category Group and its importance in mathematics. It discusses the basic definitions and properties of categories, which are fundamental to understanding higher level mathematical concepts.

3. What is the purpose of studying the Category Group?

The Category Group is a fundamental concept in mathematics that has applications in various fields such as algebra, topology, and logic. By understanding the properties of categories, one can better understand the relationships between different mathematical structures and their properties.

4. Is prior knowledge in mathematics necessary to understand Section 3.3?

Yes, Section 3.3 assumes a basic understanding of mathematics, particularly in abstract algebra and set theory. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in these topics before attempting to study Category Group in Aluffi's book.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Category Group?

Yes, Category Group has various applications in computer science, physics, and other fields. It is used to model and analyze complex systems, such as networks and databases. It also has applications in quantum mechanics and computer programming.