The British word "boffin" is polarizing the boffins

• Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
Physics news on Phys.org
Swamp Thing said:
polarizing the boffins
Vertically? Horizontally? Circularly? Elliptically?

Likes Hornbein and Swamp Thing
Vanadium 50 said:
Vertically? Horizontally? Circularly? Elliptically?
Conical - egg shaped.
wikipedia said:
Chamberlain himself claimed that 'A Puffin, a bird with a mournful cry, got crossed with a Baffin, a mercifully obsolete Fleet Air Arm aircraft. Their offspring was a Boffin, a bird of astonishingly queer appearance, bursting with weird and sometimes inopportune ideas, but possessed of staggering inventiveness, analytical powers and persistence. Its ideas, like its eggs, were conical and unbreakable. You push the unwanted ones away, and they just roll back.'"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boffin#Military

Perhaps the definition of "Boffin" needs refinement, e.g.,

Boffin: a highly intelligent scientist or other expert who works to make discoveries that ultimately benefit trolls and other knuckle-draggers.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and Tom.G
strangerep said:
Perhaps the definition of "Boffin" needs refinement, e.g.,

Boffin: a highly intelligent scientist or other expert who works to make discoveries that ultimately benefit trolls and other knuckle-draggers.
An EX introduced me to the word when she got me a birthday card with a guy with wild hair, a magnifying glass or something and in a white coat.

I had never heard of it and it sounded (and looked) silly to me.

She was a music student at the time and I worked in a lab, so anyone who had studied A level sciences or above was probably a scientist in her eyes.

I sympathize but don't see how they are going to get the tabloids to stop using a word. Or anybody for that matter but especially the tabloids. That's not how language works.

I think Dr. Chapman has the right idea. Don't fight it, own it. Boffin has a nice to ring to it. Maybe this website should be renamed to BoffinForums.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
JT Smith said:
Maybe this website should be renamed to BoffinForums.
Maybe for a certain April 1st event... :wink:

Related to The British word "boffin" is polarizing the boffins

1. What does the British word "boffin" mean?

The term "boffin" is a British slang used to refer to a scientist, engineer, or other person engaged in technical or scientific research. The word is often used to describe someone who is considered highly knowledgeable, skilled, and somewhat eccentric in their field of expertise.

2. Why is the word "boffin" considered polarizing?

The word "boffin" can be seen as polarizing because, while it is used affectionately to denote admiration for someone's intellectual capabilities, it can also carry a connotation of social awkwardness or peculiarity. This dual perception can lead to differing opinions on whether the term is complimentary or derogatory.

3. How do scientists and researchers typically react to being called a "boffin"?

Reactions among scientists and researchers to being called a "boffin" can vary widely. Some may embrace the term as a badge of honor that acknowledges their expertise and dedication to their field. Others, however, may find it dismissive or stereotyping, as it can overshadow other aspects of their personality or professional contributions.

4. Are there any notable public discussions or debates about the use of the word "boffin"?

Yes, there have been public discussions and debates about the use of the word "boffin," particularly in media and academic circles. These discussions often focus on the implications of the term for public perception of scientists and the impact it may have on young people's interest in science careers. The debates also examine the broader cultural stereotypes associated with scientists and how language influences societal attitudes.

5. Has the usage of the term "boffin" evolved over time?

Yes, the usage of the term "boffin" has evolved over time. Originally coined during World War II to describe scientists and engineers who worked on technological innovations, the term has since broadened in scope and connotation. While it retains a primarily affectionate or humorous quality, its implications can vary depending on the context in which it is used and the attitudes of both the speaker and the listener.