The brightness of a variable star

In summary: For example, if you increase the intensity of a sound by 10 dB, most people will notice a small increase in volume, but if you increase the intensity by 20 dB most people will notice a larger increase in volume. Similarly, most people will not notice a change in brightness of a star by a factor of 4.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

A variable star changes in brightness by a factor of 4. What is the change in magnitude?

Homework Equations

m and n represent two stars of magnitude
m-n=2.5 log(f(n)/f(m))
log (f(n)/f(m))=.4*(m-n)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think m-n is suppose to represent a change in magnitude.perhaps a factor of 4 = log(f(n)/f(m) . Therefore , m-n=2.5*4=10 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Benzoate said:

Homework Statement

A variable star changes in brightness by a factor of 4. What is the change in magnitude?

Homework Equations

m and n represent two stars of magnitude
m-n=2.5 log(f(n)/f(m))
log (f(n)/f(m))=.4*(m-n)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think m-n is suppose to represent a change in magnitude.perhaps a factor of 4 = log(f(n)/f(m) . Therefore , m-n=2.5*4=10 ?
Magnitude is a logarithmic scale, whereas brightness is measured on a geometric scale. So a star that is 4 x brighter represents a smaller change in magnitude. I get a 1.5 change in magnitude.

Let x = the variation in magnitude and let b = brightness. According to the rather arcane method of determining stellar magnitudes (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparent_magnitude ) this is the relationship between x and b:

[tex]\log_{10}(100^{.2})^x = 2.512^x = b[/tex]

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Magnitude is a logarithmic scale, whereas brightness is measured on a geometric scale. So a star that is 4 x brighter represents a smaller change in magnitude. I get a 1.5 change in magnitude.

Let x = the variation in magnitude and let b = brightness. According to the rather arcane method of determining stellar magnitudes (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparent_magnitude ) this is the relationship between x and b:

[tex]\log_{10}(100^{.2})^x = 2.512^x = b[/tex]
AM
I don't understand. so factor 4 can also represent the brightness of the star? Also when you say let x be a variation in magnitude, do you mean let x be the change in magnitude?

Last edited:
Using the original equation you had you know the ratio between the two extremes of brightness is 4. Therefore f(n)/f(m)=4. The method Andrew has used is the inverse. For a difference of 1 in the apparent magnitude the ratio of the apparent brightness is 2.512. for a difference of 2 in the apparent magnitude the difference in apparent brightness is (2.512)2 ~ 6.31. etc.

For the sake of clarifying the basis of this system (for which Hipparchus gets the initial blame), a difference of five magnitudes corresponds to a ratio of 100 in brightness, intensity or power. (The decibel scale for sound works similarly, a difference of 10 decibels corresponds to a ratio of 10 in intensity.) So the relation between magnitudes and intensity is

( I1/I2 ) = (100)^[(m2 - m1)/5] ,

which is the basis of the equation Andrew Mason gives: [tex]\log_{10}(100^{.2})^x = 2.512^x = b[/tex] . [Revision: I forgot to reverse the magnitudes; the brighter the star, the lower the magnitude -- fixed now. Thanksalot, Hipparchus...]

You can also take the common logarithm of both sides and rearrange it to get

log10 ( I1/I2 ) = (2/5)·(m2 - m1) or

(m1 - m2) = -2.5 · log10( I1/I2 ) , the form you have in your first post.

In your question, it would be I1/I2 = 4.

Systems such as the magnitude scale or the decibel (dB) scale exist because physiological sensory systems (like eyes and ears) and many artificial detection devices have such a logarithmic "response" over a large range of intensity levels.

Last edited:

Related to The brightness of a variable star

1. What causes a star to vary in brightness?

There are several factors that can cause a star to vary in brightness, including changes in its internal structure and activity, eclipses from a nearby companion star, and changes in the amount of material surrounding the star.

2. How do scientists measure the brightness of a variable star?

Scientists use instruments called photometers to measure the amount of light emitted by a star. They then compare these measurements over time to determine changes in brightness.

3. What is the difference between intrinsic and extrinsic variable stars?

Intrinsic variable stars vary in brightness due to changes within the star itself, such as pulsations or eruptions. Extrinsic variable stars, on the other hand, vary in brightness due to external influences, such as eclipses from a companion star.

4. Can variable stars help us understand the universe?

Yes, studying variable stars can provide valuable insights into the life cycle of stars, the formation of galaxies, and the expansion of the universe. They can also be used as distance indicators to measure the size and age of our universe.

5. Are there any famous variable stars?

Yes, there are many famous variable stars, including Betelgeuse, the red supergiant in the constellation Orion, and Algol, the "Demon Star" in the constellation Perseus. These stars have been studied for centuries and have provided invaluable data for astronomers.