The bonding in aluminium oxide

In summary, the conversation is about identifying and showing the bonding in a compound using a specific type of formula. The formula being discussed is most likely a structural formula, although it is primarily used for organic compounds. The example given is for aluminum oxide, but it is noted that salts cannot be written as individual molecules. The chemical formula for salts only shows the ratio between atoms and does not imply any shape. If one were to attempt to draw a structural formula for aluminum oxide, it would not follow the same rules as organic compounds due to its ionic nature. The actual shape of aluminum oxide is different than what would be expected based on the rules for drawing structural formulas.
tonto995566
Does anyone know firstly what this type of formula is called: H-H, i know that it describes the bonding but can't remember what it is called :O

Secondly, how would i show the bonding in aluminium oxide usingthis type of formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
My bet is structural formula, although they are mostly used for organic compounds.

tonto995566 said:
Secondly, how would i show the bonding in aluminium oxide usingthis type of formula?

You can't really write salts as individual molecules since that's not how salts work. There is no such thing as an aluminum oxide molecule just as there is no sodium chloride molecule. The chemical formula is only to show a ratio between atoms; there is no implied shape.

If you are trying to go ahead and do it anyway, draw the aluminum first. Metals cannot make covalent bonds, so that would restrict any Al-Al bonding. Oxygen to oxygen bonds are extremely unstable, so try avoid that as well. Al makes 3 bonds, oxygen makes 2. If I had to randomly guess the shape of this nonexistent molecule and I had to follow all of the rules I just said, I would think something like O=Al-O-Al=O. Each oxygen has 2 bonds, each aluminum has 3, there are no Al-Al and no O-O bonds. This looks right, but it's completely wrong. Don't draw salts like this.

Here is the actual shape. Notice how what I wrote is way off.

Related to The bonding in aluminium oxide

1. What is the chemical formula for aluminium oxide?

The chemical formula for aluminium oxide is Al2O3. This means that each molecule of aluminium oxide contains 2 atoms of aluminium and 3 atoms of oxygen.

2. What type of bonding is present in aluminium oxide?

Aluminium oxide has a combination of ionic and covalent bonding. The aluminium and oxygen atoms are held together by ionic bonds, while the oxygen atoms are also bonded to each other by covalent bonds.

3. How does the bonding in aluminium oxide contribute to its properties?

The strong ionic and covalent bonding in aluminium oxide gives it a high melting point and makes it a very hard and durable material. It also contributes to its resistance to corrosion and its ability to conduct electricity.

4. Can aluminium oxide conduct electricity?

Pure aluminium oxide is an insulator and cannot conduct electricity. However, it can conduct electricity when it is doped with impurities or when it is in a molten state.

5. How does the bonding in aluminium oxide compare to other compounds?

The bonding in aluminium oxide is similar to other ionic compounds, such as sodium chloride and magnesium oxide. However, it also has some covalent characteristics due to the sharing of electrons between oxygen atoms.