The Bolzano Weirstrass Proof by Construction

In summary: The \ if \ is \ "for \ all \ \epsilon > 0".In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that every bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence. The proof involves choosing intervals with specific properties and using a supremum to show that the sequence converges. There is also discussion about the use of LaTeX and potential bugs with its display on the forum.
Bachelier
Is this good? thanks

Proof:

let [tex]S[/tex] be an infinite bounded set in [tex]\Re[/tex]

then [tex]\exists[/tex] real numbers a, b such that
[tex]S[/tex] is in [a, b]

One of the intervals, [a, (a+b)/2] or [(a+b)/2, b] contains an infinite set of members of S. Let's choose one with this property and call it [tex][a_1, b_1][/tex]

Continuing in this fashion we obtain for each positive integer n the closed interval [tex][a_n, b_n][/tex] with the following properties:

1. [tex]d(a_n, b_n) \leq |a-b|/2^n [/tex]

2. [tex][a_n, b_n][/tex] contains infinitely many points

3. and [tex][a_n, b_n] \subset [a, b][/tex]​

so [tex][a_n, b_n][/tex] is bounded. let [tex] P= \{a_n|n \in\mathbb{N} \} [/tex]

So P is bounded. let x= sup P

Surely the sequence [tex] a_n [/tex] is increasing.

Claim: [tex] a_n [/tex] converges to x

now [tex]\forall \epsilon > 0 \ \exists N \in \mathbb{N} [/tex] with [tex]N > |a-b|/2^n \ \forall \ n>N[/tex]

then [tex] |a_n - x| \leq |a-b|/2^n < |a-b|/2^N< |a-b|/N = \epsilon [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are proving that each bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence, you must also deal with the case that the bounded sequence takes on only a finite number of values.

Stephen Tashi said:
If you are proving that each bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence, you must also deal with the case that the bounded sequence takes on only a finite number of values.

Isn't it that in that case just select one of those finite values and thenceforth you have a convergent subsequence?

Isn't it that in that case just select one of those finite values and thenceforth you have a convergent subsequence?

Yes

Surely the sequence [tex] a_n [/tex] is increasing.

The sequence is nondecreasing if that's how you define "increasing".

let [tex] P= \{a_n \ | \ n \in {N} \} [/tex]

What is [tex]{N}[/tex]?

You conclude by claiming that an arbitrary epsilon is equal to |a-b| divided by an integer, which can't be right.

Stephen Tashi said:
What is [tex]{N}[/tex]?

Sorry that was [tex]\mathbb{N}[/tex]

My browser was playing tricks with my code.

Stephen Tashi said:
You conclude by claiming that an arbitrary epsilon is equal to |a-b| divided by an integer, which can't be right.

Actually I found a large enough natural number N such that the distance from an to sup(P) is less than [tex] \epsilon \ (\forall \epsilon > 0) [/tex]

The question is, do I have to include the bns as well?

Bachelier said:
now [tex]\forall \epsilon > 0 \ \exists N \in \mathbb{N} [/tex] with [tex]N > |a-b|/2^n \ \forall \ n>N[/tex]

then [tex] |a_n - x| \leq |a-b|/2^n < |a-b|/2^N< |a-b|/N = \epsilon [/tex]

That makes no sense to me. What statement is the "if" that goes before the "then"?

Are you saying that the last relation should be [tex] \leq \epsilon [/tex] instead of = [tex]\epsilon [/tex] ?

(And do you find the way LaTex shows up on the forum to be buggy? I admit that I'm out of practice with LaTex, but I can cut and paste things other people have written and it doesn't show up correctly. Sometimes what shows up are symbols from parts of posts that I haven't even pasted. I've tried both the Opera and Firefox browsers.
Edit: The problem is discussed in this post: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=482096 )

Last edited:
OK, take a look at this:

[tex] \forall \epsilon > 0 \ , \ (\exists N \in \mathbb{N}) \ with \ [N > |a-b|/\epsilon] \ such \ that \ \forall \ n>N \ \mbox{implies that} [/tex]

[tex] |a_n - x| \leq |a-b|/2^n < |a-b|/2^N \ \mbox{(because N is strictly less than n so 1/2^n < 1/2^N) \ (note: \ 2^N > N)}[/tex]

[tex] Hence |a_n - x| < |a-b|/N = \epsilon \ \mbox{after replacing N}
[/tex]

Last edited:
[tex]should \ have \ divided \ by \ \epsilon \ in \ my \ original \ post. \ [/tex]

Related to The Bolzano Weirstrass Proof by Construction

1. What is the Bolzano-Weierstrass Proof by Construction?

The Bolzano-Weierstrass Proof by Construction is a mathematical proof that states that every bounded sequence of real numbers has a convergent subsequence. This proof was originally constructed by mathematicians Bernard Bolzano and Karl Weierstrass in the 19th century.

2. Why is the Bolzano-Weierstrass Proof by Construction important?

This proof is important because it provides a fundamental theorem in real analysis that is used in many other areas of mathematics. It is also used in the construction of other important mathematical concepts, such as the Cauchy sequence and the completeness of the real numbers.

3. How does the proof work?

The proof uses a method called the "nested interval" method, where the sequence of real numbers is divided into smaller and smaller intervals. By repeatedly choosing the midpoint of these intervals, a convergent subsequence can be found. This subsequence will converge to a single point, which is the limit of the original sequence.

4. Is the Bolzano-Weierstrass Proof by Construction applicable to all bounded sequences?

Yes, the proof applies to all bounded sequences of real numbers. This means that it can be used to prove the convergence of any sequence that has an upper and lower bound. However, the proof does not work for unbounded sequences.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the Bolzano-Weierstrass Proof by Construction?

While this proof may not have direct applications in real-world situations, it is used in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, analysis, and topology. It is also important in understanding the behavior of continuous functions and the convergence of infinite series.