The biomechanics of elbow extension

thegoose
Homework Statement
I noticed that when I do a calculation of the form 85-90 it gives a result of -5, which affects my overall answer by giving a negative number. I think I didn't correctly determine the angle of my muscle strength. Would it be possible for this angle to be 0ยฐ? So, by doing the 85-0 calculation, we would get a positive number.
Relevant Equations
ฮฃ๐นโƒ— = 0

X=

ฮฃ๐น๐‘ฅ = 0

โˆ’๐น๐‘ƒ๐‘ฅ + ๐น๐‘€ sin (๐›ฝ โˆ’ 90ยฐ) + ๐น๐‘’๐‘™ sin (180 โˆ’ ๐›ฝ โˆ’ ๐œƒ) = 0

๐น๐‘ƒ๐‘ฅ = ๐น๐‘€ sin ( ๐›ฝ โˆ’ 90ยฐ) +๐น๐‘’๐‘™ sin(180 โˆ’ ๐›ฝ โˆ’ ๐œƒ)
๐น๐‘ƒ๐‘ฅ = 93.6650N sin (85 โˆ’ 90) + 28.11N sin(180 โˆ’ 85 โˆ’ 79)

Fpx= -8.16344N +7.74816N

๐น๐‘ƒ๐‘ฅ = -0.4154 Nโ†
IMG_0116.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Please define all your variables.
I assume FM means the force exerted by a muscle, but it seems to be exerted directly down at the shoulder pivot, which is not going to achieve anything. You need to analyse torques, not just forces, and consider the shoulder joint in more detail.

Last edited:

1. What is the biomechanics of elbow extension?

The biomechanics of elbow extension is the study of the movement and forces involved in extending the elbow joint. It involves understanding the anatomy of the elbow joint, the muscles and tendons involved in elbow extension, and the mechanical principles that govern the movement.

2. What muscles are involved in elbow extension?

The primary muscles involved in elbow extension are the triceps brachii, anconeus, and brachioradialis. These muscles work together to straighten the elbow joint, with the triceps being the main extensor of the elbow.

3. How does elbow extension occur?

Elbow extension occurs through a combination of concentric and eccentric contractions of the triceps brachii and other muscles involved. During concentric contraction, the muscles shorten to produce movement, while during eccentric contraction, the muscles lengthen to control the movement.

4. What are the common injuries associated with elbow extension?

The most common injuries associated with elbow extension are strains or tears of the triceps brachii muscle or tendon. These can occur due to overuse, sudden impact or force, or improper form during exercises such as weightlifting or throwing.

5. How can we improve elbow extension?

To improve elbow extension, it is important to strengthen and stretch the muscles involved, particularly the triceps brachii. This can be done through exercises such as tricep dips, overhead tricep extensions, and tricep pushdowns. It is also important to maintain proper form and avoid overloading the elbow joint during activities that involve elbow extension.