The Big Lebowski: 25 Years of Cult Classic Hits

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
In summary, Jeff Bridges, star of the film "The Big Lebowski," was surprised that the movie did not receive much recognition. He shared personal behind-the-scenes photos from the set, some of which were featured in his book, Pictures. A person he recently met reminded him of John Goodman's character in the film. This type of individual, with a similar haircut, shape, and philosophy, was also previously encountered by the late novelist Larry McMurtry, who immortalized this character's uncanny verbal trait in his book "Duane's Depressed."
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 8.26.59 AM.png

from The Hollywood Reporter:
“I thought it was going to be a big hit,” star Jeff Bridges tells THR, along with sharing some of his personal behind-the-scenes photos from the film’s set, many of which appeared in his 2003 book, Pictures. “I was surprised when it didn’t get much recognition. People didn’t get it, or something.”

Likes Astronuc
Science news on Phys.org
I met a guy recently who was very similar to John Goodman's character in TBL! Similar in haircut, shape and personal philosophy.

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes Klystron and BillTre
PeroK said:
I met a guy recently who was very similar to John Goodman's character in TBL!
Was it me?

• Haha
Likes DaveE
PeroK said:
I met a guy recently who was very similar to John Goodman's character in TBL! Similar in haircut, shape and personal philosophy.
I knew a similar person years before I saw the Coen Brothers' movie. This enormous war veteran had the knack of stating the most egregious outlandish ideas but in a cool soft reasonable voice that nearly led you to agree before realizing the inherent absurdity.

The late great novelist Larry McMurtry, who may have known the same person when he lived in Northern California, immortalized this uncanny verbal trait in a character created as comic sidekick to dour Duane, the protagonist of McMurtry's "Last Picture Show" Thalia series of novels. In "Duane's Depressed" this character calls out the local police, armed volunteers, and the mayor who contacts the state police and national guard before Duane realizes his factotum describes, not Middle Eastern terrorists, but invisible space aliens.

• Wow
Likes PeroK and BillTre

1. What is "The Big Lebowski: 25 Years of Cult Classic Hits" about?

"The Big Lebowski: 25 Years of Cult Classic Hits" is a documentary film that celebrates the 25th anniversary of the cult classic film "The Big Lebowski." It explores the impact and legacy of the film, as well as its devoted fan base.

2. Who directed "The Big Lebowski: 25 Years of Cult Classic Hits"?

The documentary was directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, the same directors of the original film "The Big Lebowski."

3. What makes "The Big Lebowski" a cult classic?

"The Big Lebowski" has gained a cult following due to its unique blend of comedy, crime, and surrealism. The film also has memorable characters, quotable dialogue, and a strong sense of nostalgia for the 90s era.

4. What can viewers expect to see in "The Big Lebowski: 25 Years of Cult Classic Hits"?

The documentary features interviews with the cast and crew of "The Big Lebowski," behind-the-scenes footage, and fan interviews. It also delves into the film's themes and its impact on popular culture.

5. Is "The Big Lebowski: 25 Years of Cult Classic Hits" suitable for all audiences?

The film is rated R for language and drug content, similar to the original film. Therefore, it may not be suitable for younger audiences. It is recommended for fans of the original film and those interested in the cult classic phenomenon.