The big bang was a fluctuation of what?

In summary, there are theories that suggest the total energy of the universe is zero and that the big bang may have originated from a quantum fluctuation. There is also the possibility of another big bang occurring in the quantum vacuum energy fluctuations, although this is highly unlikely. The vacuum energy, also known as dark energy, was created during the big bang and remains constant as the universe expands. However, the strength of gravity decreases, causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate. The initial fluctuation that is mentioned is not fully understood.
w0_0dy
I have read that the total energy of the universe is zero and that the big bang might have emerged from a quantum fluctuation. Also that there is a chance (extremely low) of another big bang occurring in the quantum vacuum energy fluctuations. As far as I understand the vacuum energy / dark energy was created during the big bang and continues to increase evenly as the universe expands? If this is the case what did the initial fluctuation that they speak of occur in?

Likes DuckAmuck
Space news on Phys.org
w0_0dy said:
I have read that the total energy of the universe is zero and that the big bang might have emerged from a quantum fluctuation.

Well, that begs the question, "Emerged from a quantum fluctuation in what?

w0_0dy said:
Also that there is a chance (extremely low) of another big bang occurring in the quantum vacuum energy fluctuations.

I've not heard about this.

w0_0dy said:
As far as I understand the vacuum energy / dark energy was created during the big bang and continues to increase evenly as the universe expands? If this is the case what did the initial fluctuation that they speak of occur in?

I believe it's more like the amount of dark energy remains constant as the universe expands, but the strength of gravity falls off, leading to an increasing rate of expansion. Anyways, I'm not sure what this fluctuation was to be honest.

Likes w0_0dy and Fervent Freyja
Drakkith said:
I believe it's more like the amount of dark energy remains constant as the universe expands ...
Just to clarify, this part of what Drakkith said is not correct. The DENSITY of dark energy remains constant, meaning of course that the amount increases as the size of the universe increases.

Likes w0_0dy and Fervent Freyja

Related to The big bang was a fluctuation of what?

What is the big bang?

The big bang is a scientific theory that describes the early development of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a singularity, an infinitely small and dense point, and has been expanding and cooling over time.

What caused the big bang?

The cause of the big bang is still unknown and is a topic of ongoing research and debate among scientists. Some theories propose that the big bang could have been triggered by a random quantum fluctuation or by the collision of two branes in a higher dimensional space.

What is a fluctuation?

A fluctuation is a temporary and random change in a physical quantity, such as energy or temperature. In the context of the big bang, it refers to a sudden and unpredictable change in the state of the singularity that led to the expansion of the universe.

What did the big bang fluctuate from?

The big bang was a fluctuation of a singularity, an infinitely small and dense point that contained all the matter and energy that would eventually form the universe. It is not known what existed before the singularity or what triggered the fluctuation.

What evidence supports the idea of the big bang?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports the big bang theory. This includes the expansion of the universe, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the abundance of light elements. Additionally, the theory successfully predicts and explains many observed phenomena, such as the distribution of galaxies and the large-scale structure of the universe.