The Big Bang: String or Brane?

In summary, the conversation discusses the M theory and its potential explanations for the big bang. The possibility of a string morphing into a brane with enough energy and causing the expansion of the universe is discussed, but it is noted that this is still a theoretical concept and not yet testable. The conversation ends with the suggestion to ask an expert in a Q&A chat for more information.
KaneOris
Now i really don't know much about the M theory so if i say anything stupid give me a break, now I've heard heard the theory that the big bang was the collision of 2 branes, 1 into the other. Now i can see this happening and being the cause of it and would imply it will keep happening, but I've also heard that a string can "morph" into a brane with enough energy, with even more energy these branes will expand. Now with the idea our universe is just a brane so to speak. Couldnt the big bang be the result of a string morphing into a brane, and with enough energy to keep expanding?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's possible, at least in string theory. Then again, just about anything is possible in string theory. I am reluctant to entertain a stringy explanation of everything before it makes a testable explanation of anything.

Last edited:

Related to The Big Bang: String or Brane?

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as an extremely hot and dense singularity, and has been expanding and cooling over the past 13.8 billion years.

2. What evidence supports the Big Bang theory?

Several lines of evidence support the Big Bang theory, including the observation of cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the expansion of the universe.

3. What is the role of string theory in the Big Bang?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to unify the four fundamental forces of nature. It is often used to explain the early moments of the Big Bang, as it provides a way to understand the behavior of matter and energy at extremely high temperatures and densities.

4. What is the difference between string theory and brane theory?

String theory proposes that particles are made up of tiny, vibrating strings, while brane theory suggests that the universe is made up of multidimensional objects called branes. Both theories are closely related and are often used together to explain the behavior of the universe.

5. Can the Big Bang be proven?

The Big Bang theory is supported by a vast amount of scientific evidence, but it cannot be proven with 100% certainty. As with all scientific theories, it is subject to change and refinement as new evidence is discovered. However, the overwhelming majority of scientists accept the Big Bang as the best explanation for the origin of the universe.