The beginning for time for beginners

In summary, the person is interested in learning about the beginning of time and is looking for literature recommendations. They have a Master's degree in Astrophysics and are unsure if there is any literature on the very beginning of time. They also mention a theory that time did not exist until there were electrons and photons, but are unsure of the validity of this theory. They suggest "The First Three Minutes" by Weinberg as a recommendation for early developments in the universe. They also mention the BICEP polarization studies on the cosmic background radiation as a topic of interest.
taylrl3
Hi,

Basically I would like to learn about the beginning of time and I am wondering what literature I should read surrounding this.

**For the record; I have a Master's degree from a top university in Astrophysics**

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure just what you are looking for. If you are interested in the very earliest developments in the universe, I suggest "The First Three Minutes" by Weinberg.

Do we know anything about the beginning of time? Shouldn't that title be "The First Three Minutes Except For The First Fraction of a Nanosecond"? GR suggest that time begins with the Big Bang, but GR breaks down at very small scales, i.e., during that first fraction of a Nanosecond. So there actually isn't *any* sensible literature about the beginning.

mal4mac said:
Do we know anything about the beginning of time?

no

Shouldn't that title be "The First Three Minutes Except For The First Fraction of a Nanosecond"?

yes

There is a theory that time itself did not exist until there were electrons and photons, but I'm not so sure about needing the electrons any more (because pairs of virtual photons can be produced without electrons) nor for that matter, , whether time actually exists for energy at all (because according to STR, time does not exist at the speed of light).

Pairs of photons (or else an electron and a photon) are essential to having photons with energy that is defined, and also to the formulation of the theories of relativity (because it's the part that makes an observer necessary in the first analysis).

Sorry, I don't have a good reference for your questions about time. As an astrophysicist, I would be paying more attention to things like the BICEP polarization studies on the cosmic background radiation. It sure is interesting.

danshawen said:
There is a theory that time itself did not exist until there were electrons and photons

Please provide a reference.

Related to The beginning for time for beginners

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the beginning of the universe. It suggests that about 13.8 billion years ago, all matter and energy in the universe was compressed into a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature. This singularity then expanded rapidly, creating the universe as we know it today.

2. How was the Big Bang theory developed?

The Big Bang theory was first proposed by Belgian astronomer Georges Lemaître in the 1920s. It was further developed by American astronomer Edwin Hubble in the 1920s and 1930s, who observed that galaxies were moving away from each other at increasing speeds. In the 1960s, the discovery of the cosmic microwave background radiation, a remnant of the Big Bang, provided further evidence for the theory.

3. What evidence supports the Big Bang theory?

Aside from the cosmic microwave background radiation, there are several other pieces of evidence that support the Big Bang theory. These include the observed expansion of the universe, the abundance of light elements such as hydrogen and helium, and the large-scale structure of the universe.

4. What was the universe like immediately after the Big Bang?

The universe was too hot and dense for any atoms to form immediately after the Big Bang. Instead, it was a hot and dense soup of subatomic particles and radiation. As the universe expanded and cooled, protons and neutrons eventually combined to form the first atoms.

5. What is the future of the universe according to the Big Bang theory?

Based on current observations and theoretical models, scientists believe that the universe will continue to expand indefinitely. As it does so, it will become increasingly cold and dark as stars run out of fuel and galaxies drift apart. However, the ultimate fate of the universe is still a topic of ongoing research and debate.