The balance reading when direction of mag. field changes

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a conducting wire loop connected to a battery and lamp, with a magnetic field acting on the wire. The aim is to calculate the force exerted on the wire by the magnetic field and the new balance reading if the direction of the field is reversed. The conversation also discusses the format of numbers and how to calculate the forces using a force diagram. The final solution is to use three forces - the upward magnetic force, the downward weight force, and the force between the setup and the scale - to determine the balance reading.
moenste

Homework Statement

The diagram shows a rigid conducting wire loop connected to a 6.0 V battery through a 6.0 V, 3.0 W lamp. The circuit is standing on a top-pan balance. A uniform horizontal magnetic field of strength 50 mT acts at right angles to the straight top part of the conducting wire in the direction indicated in the diagram, i. e. into the paper. This magnetic field extends over the shadowed area in the diagram. The balance reads 153.860 g. Calculate (a) the force exerted on the conducting wire by the magnetic field, and (b) the new balance reading if the direction of the magnetic field is reversed.

2223ebe7c663.jpg

Answers: (a) 1.3 * 10-3 N, (b) 1.54; 115 g.

2. The attempt at a solution
(a) F = B I L. First we find I = P / V = 3 / 6 = 0.5 A. Plug it into the F formula: F = (50 * 10-3) * 0.5 * (51 / 10 / 100) = 1.28 * 10-3 N. This part should be correct.

(b) This part I have large doubts. First of all, what does "The balance reads 153.860 g." mean? And second of all what does the answer "(b) 1.54; 115 g" mean?

There are two styles of representing numbers: (i) 1,000,000.00 -- one million and (ii) 1 000 000,00 -- also one million. The mass -- what does it mean? .860 is the faction? Or it is 153 860,00? Or 153,86?

I also don't understand the answer. If we need to find the mass, which is 115 g, then what is 1.54?

And finally, how do we find the new balance reading? As I understand, the direction of force was upwards (current is going from +, so current is going from left to right through the wire and field), the field was into the paper, so the force was directed upwards. And now when the field is out of paper, the force is directed downwards. But that's as far as I can go.

Maybe F = m g so m g = B I L? Why do we need the 20 mm though...

Physics news on Phys.org
153.860 g are a bit less than 154 gram.
moenste said:
(b) 1.54; 115 g.
That is a very odd format (scanning+OCR error?). Anyway, you can calculate it!

In which direction does the force point?

Scales measure forces and convert them to mass values using the known value of g. If you know the gram reading of the scale, you can calculate the force. This force will change if you reverse the magnetic polarity - you can calculate the new force and convert back to what the scale will show.

Likes moenste
mfb said:
That is a very odd format (scanning+OCR error?).
That's what is exactly written in the book, perhaps it's a typo.

mfb said:
In which direction does the force point?
The force points upwards. We have current from left to right and field directed into the paper. So the force is directed upwards.

mfb said:
Scales measure forces and convert them to mass values using the known value of g. If you know the gram reading of the scale, you can calculate the force. This force will change if you reverse the magnetic polarity - you can calculate the new force and convert back to what the scale will show.
F = m g = 0.15386 kg * 10 = 1.54 N the weight force.
FUp = 1.28 * 10-3 N, the force directed upwards.

How can they be equal if they are not?

The new force will be directed downwards. And the weight is directed downwards.

The magnetic force points upwards, correct.
moenste said:
F = m g = 0.15386 kg * 10 = 1.54 N the weight force.
It is the force on the scale. It is not the weight of anything.
moenste said:
How can they be equal if they are not?
Why do you expect them to be equal?

Did you draw force diagrams?
moenste said:
The new force will be directed downwards. And the weight is directed downwards.
Correct.

Likes moenste
mfb said:
The magnetic force points upwards, correct.It is the force on the scale. It is not the weight of anything.Why do you expect them to be equal?

Did you draw force diagrams?Correct.
We have two forces: FUp = 1.3 * 10-3 N and F? = 1.3 * 10-4 N. What is the relationship between these two forces if they are not F upwards and F downwards?

The new force is directed downwards and will not change and will be equal to 1.3 * 10-3 N. But I'm not sure what to do next.

moenste said:
What is the relationship between these two forces if they are not F upwards and F downwards?
Did you draw a force diagram?

There are three forces acting on the circuit. You know two, so you can determine the third.

Likes moenste
mfb said:
Did you draw a force diagram?

There are three forces acting on the circuit. You know two, so you can determine the third.
We have the force directed upwards from the field. There is the weight force directed downwards. I don't see any more forces.

The setup is on top of a scale. There is a force between setup and scale - and you calculated this force already.

Likes moenste
mfb said:
The setup is on top of a scale. There is a force between setup and scale - and you calculated this force already.
2e82a5b3ab81.jpg

Like this?

What does the down-arrow represent?

Likes moenste
mfb said:
What does the down-arrow represent?
Force on the scale (as you said).

So the scale is pulling the setup downwards? The force balance for the scale does not matter, this is all about forces on the setup on top of the scale.

And where did gravity go?

Likes moenste
mfb said:
So the scale is pulling the setup downwards? The force balance for the scale does not matter, this is all about forces on the setup on top of the scale.

And where did gravity go?
Gravity you mean fravity force? Maybe it's 1.54 N - 1.3 * 10-3 = 1.5387 N?

Don't guess, draw your force diagram and calculate it based on that.

You should use more significant digits for the larger force value, otherwise the effect you want to study disappears as rounding error.

Likes moenste
mfb said:
Don't guess, draw your force diagram and calculate it based on that.

You should use more significant digits for the larger force value, otherwise the effect you want to study disappears as rounding error.
c2b1c29522a8.jpg

Situation 1:
(i) Force directed upwards. F = 1.275 * 10-3 N.
(ii) Force on the scale: F = m g = 0.15386 * 10 = 1.5386 N.
(iii) The weight is the force directed downwards. If we have one force directed upwards and one force directed downwards then: 1.5386 + 1.275 * 10-3 = 1.539875 N.

Situation 2:
(i) Force directed downwards. F = 1.275 * 10-3 N.
(ii) Weight directed downwards: F = 1.539875 N.
(iii) Force on the scale is equal to total force, since both forces are directed downwards, therefore we sum the forces up: F = 1.275 * 10-3 + 1.539875 = 1.54115 N.

Now to find the new balance reading: m = F / g = 1.54115 / 10 = 0.154115 kg or 154.115 g. Is this the correct answer?

The book answer is similar, but still these symbols are confusing:
moenste said:
(b) 1.54; 115 g.

Also, how come we didn't use the 20 mm figure anywhere?

Last edited:
Correct.

I still think the book had some weird OCR (scan to text conversion) where a . got read as ; and some additional . got inserted due to dust or something like that.

The 20 mm are not necessary to solve the problem. So what?

Likes moenste

Related to The balance reading when direction of mag. field changes

What is meant by "balance reading" when referring to the direction of a magnetic field changing?

The "balance reading" refers to the measurement of the magnetic field strength when the direction of the magnetic field changes. It is the point at which the forces of the magnetic field in opposing directions cancel each other out, resulting in a net force of zero.

How is the balance reading affected when the direction of a magnetic field changes?

When the direction of a magnetic field changes, the balance reading will also change. This is because the forces in the magnetic field are now acting in different directions, resulting in a different net force and therefore a different balance reading.

Why is it important to measure the balance reading when the direction of a magnetic field changes?

Measuring the balance reading when the direction of a magnetic field changes allows us to understand the strength and direction of the magnetic field. It also helps us to study and predict the behavior of magnetic fields in different situations.

How is the balance reading typically measured?

The balance reading is typically measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device uses a magnetized needle or a suspended coil to detect the strength and direction of the magnetic field, and can be used to determine the balance reading when the direction of the field changes.

What factors can affect the balance reading when the direction of a magnetic field changes?

The balance reading can be affected by various factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the distance from the source of the field, and the orientation of the magnetic field. Other factors such as the presence of other magnetic fields or magnetic materials can also impact the balance reading.