The average of the three Pauli Matrices

In summary: So, in summary, the problem asks you to find the ensemble average of an observable, and to do this you need to use the trace property of the Pauli matrices. Once you have the trace of the density matrix, you can calculate the average of the three matrices.
eviegirl

Homework Statement

By using the general density matrix rho find the average of the three Pauli matrices. You can then tell how many independent experiments you must make in order to determine rho.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the Pauli matrices and their basic properties, but I don't know how to start finding the average of these three matrices.

Physics news on Phys.org
Surely you know how to take an average? :wink:

But anyway: the problem asks you to use a general density matrix. What do you know about that concept?

Yeah ;) but I have the feeling I'm blanking out. The most general density matrix I can think of is:

rho = 1/2*(I + a*sigma)

Where I is the identity matrix, sigma the three Pauli matrices and a a three-dimensional vector. The trace of Pauli matrices are zero, and the trace of an identity matrix is 2 (in this case where I look at 2x2 matrices, so by taking the half of that - the trace of the density matrix is 1. Which I think is a property of the density matrix? Hermitian matrices which have a trace equal to 1. When the length of that vector is equal to or less than 1, we have a pure state. I think.

It's been quite a while since I did anything with density matrices, but I think what you're saying is correct. Unfortunately it doesn't really clarify what the question is asking for me, so I'm not sure what to tell you. Perhaps someone else who has better knowledge of the subject can come along and explain it.

Thank you for your thoughts ;) I just started taking a Quantum Optics course, and these first exercises are supposed to refresh whatever QM knowledge we had. Very interesting subject with difficult (or new) exercises.

I think the vector 'a' should always have a length shorter than or equal to 1, to have only non-negative eigenvalues. When the length is equal to 1, it will correspond to a pure state (having eigenvalues 0 and 1).

So, it seems that what you want to do is to calculate the trace of rho*sigma_i, where i=x,y,z ?

I guess it should be straightforward once you notice the multiplication properties of Pauli matrices, such as sigma_x *sigma_y = i*sigma_z.

eviegirl said:

Homework Statement

By using the general density matrix rho find the average of the three Pauli matrices. You can then tell how many independent experiments you must make in order to determine rho.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the Pauli matrices and their basic properties, but I don't know how to start finding the average of these three matrices.
In terms of the density matrix ρ, the ensemble average [A] of an observable A is given by [A]=tr(ρA). I think the problem is asking you to find the averages for Sx, Sy, and Sz and show you can determine ρ completely from these three numbers.

Related to The average of the three Pauli Matrices

What are the three Pauli Matrices?

The three Pauli Matrices, also known as the Pauli spin matrices, are a set of three matrices that represent the three fundamental spin states of a spin-1/2 particle. They are denoted by σx, σy, and σz and are important in quantum mechanics and particle physics.

What is the average of the three Pauli Matrices?

The average of the three Pauli Matrices, denoted by 〈σ〉, is a measure of the expectation value of the spin operator for a given system. It is calculated by taking the sum of the three matrices and dividing by 3.

What is the physical significance of the average of the three Pauli Matrices?

The average of the three Pauli Matrices is used to describe the orientation and behavior of spin-1/2 particles in a magnetic field. It is also an important tool in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and can be used to calculate other physical quantities.

How is the average of the three Pauli Matrices related to the spin of a particle?

The average of the three Pauli Matrices is directly related to the spin of a particle. It represents the expectation value of the spin operator, which measures the spin of a particle along a certain direction. The three Pauli Matrices are used to describe the spin states of a particle, and their average is a measure of the overall spin of the particle.

What are some real-world applications of the average of the three Pauli Matrices?

The average of the three Pauli Matrices has many applications in quantum mechanics and particle physics. It is used to understand the behavior of spin-1/2 particles in magnetic fields and is also used in calculations of nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR). It is also used in quantum computing and quantum information theory.