The average distance between two particles in a 1d box

In summary, the problem involves finding the wave function and energy levels for two distinguishable particles in a 1D box with equal masses. The expression for the wave function is 2sin(n1x1pi)sin(n2x2pi), and the energy levels are ((n1)^2 +(n2)^2))* h^2/4m. The goal is to find the average distance between the particles, which is the expectation value of the distance operator d = |x2-x1|. There are no restrictions on the distance between the particles as long as they remain in the box.
pahtakus

Homework Statement

(i) Write an expression for the wave function of 2 particles in a 1D box. Assume that
their masses are the same, m, and that the box size is a = 1. What are the energy
states? (Comment: The particles are distinguishable)
(ii) Write an expression for the average distance between the particles hdi, quantum
mechanically.

Homework Equations

Wave function = 2sin(n1x1pi)sin(n2x2pi) for part 1 and energy levels are ((n1)^2 +(n2)^2))* h^2/4m

The Attempt at a Solution

I use <d> as an operator, and i try to operate it on the function but i don't know how to operate <d>, it wasnt taught in class and i can't find it in the textbook. is d =x2-x1. How can i find the average distance between two non interacting particles? there are no restrictions to the distance at all. They can be on top of each other? how to do it, i can't show anymore work because i don't know what to do lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, pahtakus. Welcome to PF!

Unless I'm overlooking something, I think your expression for the energy levels is off by a factor of 2.

My interpretation of distance between the particles would be the absolute value of x2 - x1. So, your distance operator would be d = |x2-x1|. The average distance between the particles would then be the expectation value of d using your wavefunction. It's not clear from the statement of the problem if you just need to write the integral representing the expectation value or if you must go further and evaluate the integral.

The only restriction on the locations of the particles is that they must remain in the box. Yes, the particles can be on top of each other!

Related to The average distance between two particles in a 1d box

1. What is the concept of "average distance" between two particles in a 1d box?

The average distance between two particles in a 1d box refers to the average distance between any two randomly chosen particles in a one-dimensional box. It is a measure of the separation between particles in a confined space.

2. How is the average distance between particles in a 1d box calculated?

The average distance between particles in a 1d box can be calculated using the formula d = L/(N-1), where d is the average distance, L is the length of the 1d box, and N is the number of particles in the box.

3. What is the significance of the average distance between particles in a 1d box?

The average distance between particles in a 1d box is an important measure in understanding the behavior of particles in confined spaces. It can provide insights into the density and distribution of particles and their interactions.

4. How does the average distance between particles in a 1d box change with different box lengths and number of particles?

As the length of the 1d box increases, the average distance between particles also increases. Similarly, as the number of particles increases, the average distance decreases. This is because in a larger box, particles have more space to spread out, while in a smaller box, they are more closely packed together.

5. Can the concept of average distance between particles in a 1d box be applied to higher dimensions?

Yes, the concept of average distance between particles can be extended to higher dimensions. In a 2d or 3d box, the formula for calculating the average distance becomes more complex, but the concept remains the same.