The angular speed of the turntable with a woman on it? Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the angular speed of a turntable with a woman on it, and how to calculate it using conservation of angular momentum. The woman's position and speed are also considered, and the conversation concludes with a solution using the moment of inertia for the woman and the table.
riseofphoenix
The angular speed of the turntable with a woman on it? Help!

Number18.png

Ok so I understand part a (why it's counterclockwise. τ = Fr = (mg)(2) = (70)(9.8)(2) = +1372)

Part b is where I'm stuck...
This is what I did...

PEinitial + [STRIKE]KEinitial rotational[/STRIKE] = [STRIKE]PEfinal[/STRIKE] + KEfinal rotational
PEinitial = KEfinal rotational
mgh = (1/2)Iω2
(70)(9.8)(2) = (1/2)(5402
1372 = 270ω2
1372/270 = ω2
5.08 = ω2
2.25 rev/s = ω

Convert to rad/s

2.25/2π rad/s = 0.358 rad/s, but the answer is 0.389.
Help! :( Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Did the woman change her position in the VERTICAL direction?

Brb in 2 hours!
In the meantime can someone answer my question?

grzz said:
Did the woman change her position in the VERTICAL direction?

No/yes?

Hold on! I have to go to class real quick!
brb!

Is angular momentum conserved here?

If the OP is to learn anything then the OP must try to answer the question posted above, i.e. whether the woman changed her position in the vertical direction.

voko said:
Is angular momentum conserved here?

Yes! She maintains a constant speed of 1.50 m/s, so the round table keeps turning (conservation of angular momentum)

L = Iω

Last edited:

grzz said:
If the OP is to learn anything then the OP must try to answer the question posted above, i.e. whether the woman changed her position in the vertical direction.

Wait what?

The woman is walking on a surface that stays horizontal. You've misunderstood the question.

aralbrec said:
The woman is walking on a surface that stays horizontal. You've misunderstood the question.

Wait are you talking to me?

riseofphoenix said:
Yes! She maintains a constant speed of 1.50 m/s, so the round table keeps turning (conservation of angular momentum)

L = Iω

The total angular momentum of the entire system is conserved regardless of constancy of her speed. This is because there are no external forces acting on the system. How could you use this fact?

voko said:
The total angular momentum of the entire system is conserved regardless of constancy of her speed. This is because there are no external forces acting on the system. How could you use this fact?

1) Conservation of angular momentum (NO EXTERNAL FORCES acting on the system)

Linitial = Lfinal
[STRIKE](Ltable + Lwoman)initial[/STRIKE] = (Ltable + Lwoman)final
0 = (Ltable + Lwoman)final
0 = I1ω1 + I2ω2
-I1ω1 = I2ω2
ω1 = -(I2ω2)/I1

2) Moment of Inertia for the woman (I2)

I2 = mr2
I2 = (70)(22)
I2 = 280

3) Angular Speed of the woman (ω2)

ω = v/r
ω = (1.50)/(2)
ω = 0.75 rad/s

4) Moment of Inertia for the table (I1) - this is given

I1 = 540

5) Plug and chug

ω1 = -(I2ω2)/I1
ω1 = -[(-280)(0.75)]/540
ω1 = 0.389 rad/s

Merci!

Related to The angular speed of the turntable with a woman on it? Help

What is the angular speed of the turntable with a woman on it?

The angular speed of the turntable with a woman on it depends on the rotational speed of the turntable and the position of the woman on the turntable. It can be calculated using the formula ω = v/r, where ω is the angular speed, v is the linear speed, and r is the radius of the turntable.

What factors affect the angular speed of the turntable with a woman on it?

The factors that affect the angular speed of the turntable with a woman on it include the rotational speed of the turntable, the position and weight of the woman on the turntable, and any external forces acting on the turntable.

How does the angular speed of the turntable change when the woman moves towards the edge?

When the woman moves towards the edge of the turntable, the radius of the turntable decreases, resulting in an increase in the angular speed according to the formula ω = v/r. Therefore, the angular speed will increase as the woman moves towards the edge of the turntable.

What is the relationship between the linear speed and the angular speed of the turntable with a woman on it?

The linear speed and the angular speed of the turntable with a woman on it are directly proportional. This means that as the linear speed increases, the angular speed also increases, and vice versa.

How can the angular speed of the turntable be measured?

The angular speed of the turntable can be measured using a tachometer, which is a device that measures the rotational speed of an object. It can also be calculated by measuring the linear speed and the radius of the turntable and using the formula ω = v/r.