The allowed energies of a 3D harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of allowed energies for a 3D harmonic oscillator, which can be determined by considering the different possibilities for Nx, Ny, and Nz and calculating the corresponding energies. The conversation also mentions a helpful resource that provides more information on the topic.
kkabi_seo
Hi!

I'm trying to calculate the allowed energies of each state for 3D harmonic oscillator.
En = (Nx+1/2)hwx + (Ny+1/2)hwy+ (Nz+1/2)hwz, Nx,Ny,Nz = 0,1,2,...

Unfortunately I didn't find this topic in my textbook.
Can somebody help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
You simply need to consider the different possibilities for Nx, Ny, and Nz and calculate the corresponding energies.

DrClaude said:
You simply need to consider the different possibilities for Nx, Ny, and Nz and calculate the corresponding energies.
frankly, It is hard for me to understand.. Please explain more detaily.

Hello kkabi_seo, :welcome:

I found a https://ecee.colorado.edu/~bart/book/book/chapter2/ch2_4.htm in another thread

$$E_{(n_x, n_y, n_z)} = (n_x+1/2)\hbar\omega_x + (n_y+1/2)\hbar\omega_y+ (n_z+1/2)\hbar\omega_z ,\ \ \ \text {nx,ny,nz = 0,1,2,...}$$So you fill in ##\ (n_x, n_y, n_z) = (1,0,0)\ ## to get ##\ \ E_{(1,0,0)} \ \ ## etc

Related to The allowed energies of a 3D harmonic oscillator

1. What is a 3D harmonic oscillator?

A 3D harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits oscillatory motion in three dimensions. It can be described by a potential energy function that is quadratic in all three directions.

2. What are the allowed energies of a 3D harmonic oscillator?

The allowed energies of a 3D harmonic oscillator are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. These energies are given by the formula E = (nx + 1/2)ℏωx + (ny + 1/2)ℏωy + (nz + 1/2)ℏωz, where nx, ny, and nz are positive integers and ωx, ωy, and ωz are the frequencies in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

3. How are the allowed energies of a 3D harmonic oscillator related to its potential energy?

The allowed energies of a 3D harmonic oscillator are directly related to its potential energy function. The potential energy function is proportional to the square of the displacement from the equilibrium position, and the allowed energies correspond to the different possible levels of displacement. As the displacement increases, the potential energy also increases, resulting in higher allowed energies.

4. How do the allowed energies of a 3D harmonic oscillator change with increasing frequency?

As the frequency of a 3D harmonic oscillator increases, the allowed energies also increase. This is because the higher frequency results in a steeper potential energy function, allowing for larger displacements and thus higher energy levels.

5. Can the allowed energies of a 3D harmonic oscillator be observed in real-life systems?

Yes, the allowed energies of a 3D harmonic oscillator can be observed in various real-life systems, such as atoms, molecules, and solid materials. In these systems, the oscillations occur on a microscopic scale and are responsible for phenomena such as molecular vibrations and the behavior of crystals.