The 7 Most Badass Last Stands in the History of Battle

• History
  • Thread starter FizixFreak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
In summary: It was a common tactic in sieges back in the midieval times. Supposedly, at least one outbreak of Bubonic plague in Europe was started by a successful siege against Caffa in the Crimea where Europeans evacuated their city/fort and fled back to Europe when Mongol hordes began hurling dead bodies infected by the plague into the city. The infected evacuees then spread the plague through Italy. Whether that's really true or...
FizixFreak
I was browsing the internet one day when i stumbled upoun this article and i have to say i was completely blown away! so i thought why not post it here

http://www.cracked.com/article/197_the-7-most-badass-last-stands-in-history-battle/

Science news on Phys.org
What? No Alamo?

FizixFreak said:
I was browsing the internet one day when i stumbled upoun this article and i have to say i was completely blown away! so i thought why not post it here

http://www.cracked.com/article/197_the-7-most-badass-last-stands-in-history-battle/
Buwahaha! That's a comic spoof site! :smile:

In case anyone doesn't know.

It is a spoof/humour site, but I believe the events described are all legitimate, despite the colourful language.

I just watched "To Hell And Back" last night, the story of Audie Murphy, he kicked an inordinate amount of posterior. Great movie! <3

Evo said:
Buwahaha! That's a comic spoof site! :smile:

In case anyone doesn't know.

Some of the stories here seemed quite unbelievble to me as well..., but i searched all of these on the internet and all of them seem legitimate but if you think some or all of it is not accurate i would love to get your skeptical opinion

FizixFreak said:
Some of the stories here seemed quite unbelievble to me as well..., but i searched all of these on the internet and all of them seem legitimate but if you think some or all of it is not accurate i would love to get your skeptical opinion
I assumed you knew it was a comic site, but not everyone might know. While I'm sure they are writing about real events, their "twist" on things is too funny. I like reading cracked and The Onion.

I guessed the top one would be an example of the valour of the US. I wasn't disappointed. Turns out the top 2 are... thousands of years of military history and the top two happen to be the US...

nobahar said:
I guessed the top one would be an example of the valour of the US. I wasn't disappointed. Turns out the top 2 are... thousands of years of military history and the top two happen to be the US...

Don't get too worked up, its not some official list, just an amateur.

I did some studies on #4 and now i am a little skeptical about it can anybody confirm whether its true or not?

The authors on cracked just poke around the internet a little bit to make these top 5/10 lists. I would take it all with a grain of salt.

well wiki calls the viking on the bridge a folk tale, and they cite the anglo-saxon chronicle, which is unreliable or one-sided in parts. the page doesn't say anything about that viking though.

Good fun read. Boosted the mood a little :)

So Thermopylae is not in?

I don't think anything qualifies as a great last stand unless it's a siege and involves the attacking forces hurling diseased, bloated, dead animals into the city/fortress with a catapault. Having to worry about being splashed by the rotting remains of dead cows would just make for an incredibly depressing life.

Or in the attacking forces mercifully allowing the residents to bury their dead outside the city/fortress only to dig them back up and hurl them back into the city a few days later after they've ripened a little.

Last edited:
BobG said:
I don't think anything qualifies as a great last stand unless it's a siege and involves the attacking forces hurling diseased, bloated, dead animals into the city/fortress with a catapault. Having to worry about being splashed by the rotting remains of dead cows would just make for an incredibly depressing life.

Or in the attacking forces mercifully allowing the residents to bury their dead outside the city/fortress only to dig them back up and hurl them back into the city a few days later after they've ripened a little.

MAN! now that is a nasty way to force your enemy to surrender...:eek: by the way is that your own diabolical thinking or are you making a refrence to an event in history?

noobilly said:
So Thermopylae is not in?

This list pertains to individuals only thermopylae however involved 7000 greek men(not 300 like shown in the movie) any ways does anybody else have information about some historical events such as these?

FizixFreak said:
MAN! now that is a nasty way to force your enemy to surrender...:eek: by the way is that your own diabolical thinking or are you making a refrence to an event in history?

It was a common tactic in sieges back in the midieval times. Supposedly, at least one outbreak of Bubonic plague in Europe was started by a successful siege against Caffa in the Crimea where Europeans evacuated their city/fort and fled back to Europe when Mongol hordes began hurling dead bodies infected by the plague into the city. The infected evacuees then spread the plague through Italy. Whether that's really true or not is hard to verify (especially if that was really the source of the outbreak), but at least dates to back to the time in question.

Last edited:
BobG said:
It was a common tactic in sieges back in the midieval times. Supposedly, at least one outbreak of Bubonic plague in Europe was started by a successful siege against Caffa in the Crimea where Europeans evacuated their city/fort and fled back to Europe when Mongol hordes began hurling dead bodies infected by the plague into the city. The infected evacuees then spread the plague through Italy. Whether that's really true or not is hard to verify, but at least dates to back to the time in question.

Just as i thought even i have read about such tactics being used in medivel europe in medival britain particularly it seems that biological warfare has been a part of history sicne medival times.

If it is true that the siege was the source of the outbreak, then it would have to be the most successful siege in history. It not only enabled the Mongols to capture the city, but wiped out nearly half the population of Europe within 4 years.

But fleeing back home and spreading the disease to your homeland probably wouldn't qualify as badass. Badass would be to fling your hopelessly dying residents back out while still alive. That might freak the attackers out a little - and might even be a merciful end for those suffering in the last throes of a horrible illness.

BobG said:
It was a common tactic in sieges back in the midieval times. Supposedly, at least one outbreak of Bubonic plague in Europe was started by a successful siege against Caffa in the Crimea where Europeans evacuated their city/fort and fled back to Europe when Mongol hordes began hurling dead bodies infected by the plague into the city. The infected evacuees then spread the plague through Italy. Whether that's really true or not is hard to verify (especially if that was really the source of the outbreak), but at least dates to back to the time in question.

Here's where I read that. They say it's an oversimplification to say it was the only cause of the plague at that time:
http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/278/5/412.full.pdf+html

there's also a reference to this story, which isn't online though
http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/196/1/59.extract

& btw the alleged 300 spartans have got nothing on the 21 sikhs at saragarhi!

wiki links to this story about caffa
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/8/9/01-0536_article.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
fourier jr said:
Here's where I read that. They say it's an oversimplification to say it was the only cause of the plague at that time:
http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/278/5/412.full.pdf+html

there's also a reference to this story, which isn't online though
http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/196/1/59.extract

& btw the alleged 300 spartans have got nothing on the 21 sikhs at saragarhi!

wiki links to this story about caffa
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/8/9/01-0536_article.htm

Thermopylea and saragarhi cannot really be compared one event took place in 480B.C and the other in 1897A.D introduction of fire arms really changed the course of war apart from that sikhs are probebly the most underrated as* kickers in the history another memorble battle the sikhs ever engaged in was the battle of chamkuar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_chamkaur

Although there arent many realiable sources provided in this article(and probebly is written by a sikh) there is no denying the fact that sikhs use to be really badass in those times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to The 7 Most Badass Last Stands in the History of Battle

1. What are the criteria for a "badass" last stand in battle?

The criteria for a "badass" last stand in battle can vary, but generally it involves a small group of soldiers or individuals facing overwhelming odds and displaying incredible courage, determination, and skill in their final stand. The location and outcome of the battle also play a role in determining the "badass" factor.

2. Who were some notable figures in "The 7 Most Badass Last Stands in the History of Battle"?

Some notable figures in "The 7 Most Badass Last Stands in the History of Battle" include King Leonidas and his Spartan warriors at the Battle of Thermopylae, the defenders of the Alamo led by James Bowie and William Travis, and the 300 brave soldiers of the Sikh Empire who fought against thousands of enemy forces at the Battle of Saragarhi.

3. What made these last stands so significant in history?

These last stands were significant in history because they represented moments of great sacrifice, bravery, and determination in the face of overwhelming odds. They also became symbols of resistance and defiance against powerful enemies, inspiring future generations and shaping the course of history.

4. What are some common tactics or strategies used in a last stand?

Some common tactics and strategies used in a last stand include building defensive fortifications, utilizing terrain and natural obstacles to their advantage, and coordinating and communicating effectively within the small group of defenders. Sacrifice and selflessness are also often key factors in a successful last stand.

5. Are there any modern examples of last stands in battle?

Yes, there are modern examples of last stands in battle. In recent years, the Battle of Kamdesh in Afghanistan, where a small group of American soldiers fought against a much larger enemy force, has been described as a modern-day last stand. The defenders of the City of Homs in Syria during the Syrian Civil War also displayed incredible courage and resilience in their last stand against government forces.