The Science of Exercise: Understanding People's Motivations and Habits

• Thread starter Pauly Man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, most people here on PF exercise 5 days a week. Some people exercise 3-5 times a week, while others do not exercise at all.

I am curious to kow how many times per week people exercise.

• Less than once a week

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Once a week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twice a week

• Three times a week

• More than three times a week

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
Pauly Man
I am interested in finding out how often most of us here on PF exercise per week. By exercise I mean deliberate physical activity undertaken to maintain and/or improve fitness.

I currently exercise 5 days a week.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I voted " less than once a week". I know it's not a healthy way of living for a 17 year old teenager but I really don't have much time to exercise. I used to be a team member of the athletic's team and volleyball team in school but I quitted in September last year. (I have had an extremely hectic schedule since Sept.) I do love sports and miss playing sports a lot.

I hope I can pick up sports again in the coming summer holiday and I'll train myself long distance running. Hope I'll have time to do so. :wink:

i voted twice a week, although if i had more time, it would be about 4 times a week...recently joined a gym and i play raquetball, indulge in yoga ( i highly recommend it ) and do some weight lifting...

I said twice a week. I play tennis after work on tuesdays with a friend and I try to get out and shoot some hoops a few times a week.

I exercise more than 3 times a week, i play a lot of soccer at college whenever i have free periods and also play 5-a-side soccer after college on tuesdays.

I'm exercising 3-5 times a week...cycling and weights mostly.

Originally posted by Zero
I'm exercising 3-5 times a week...cycling and weights mostly.

Does lifting the fork of mashed potatoes to my mouth count since I am working my biceps. I voted 3 times since being in todays military its considered social harmony. HEHEHE!
Dx :wink:

Running once every 2 days.

I do weight exercise 5 times/week. I also do some yoga, cycling, and running (I hate when people ask me where I'm headed , doesn't anyone just run for exercise anymore?).

Originally posted by Mentat
I do weight exercise 5 times/week. I also do some yoga, cycling, and running (I hate when people ask me where I'm headed , doesn't anyone just run for exercise anymore?).

I can not remember being asked that. Then again, the only time I wear a tracksuit is to go running, so it should be obvious to them.

I do weight exercise 5 times/week.

Wow! My muscles wouldn't like me very much if I did that. They need at least a days recovery in between to start rebuilding and replenishing energy.

5 times a week. cycling or running plus weights. You can do weights consecutively from day to day and still rest if you do different muscle groups on different days. That's what i do. I would get too pooped too if I did the same weight exercises everyday.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do weight exercise 5 times/week.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow! My muscles wouldn't like me very much if I did that. They need at least a days recovery in between to start rebuilding and replenishing energy.

I wasn't sure what to answer for this. I am notorious among my friends for not exercising because (this will probably be thought of as a terrible reason) at my school it is something people use to sculpt themselves into the so called body type so they can mate.

However, I just started karate classes (they are free at this place nearby) because I want to be a ninja! (To me, a sport/discipline is acceptable, but the pure meat market one so often finds in gyms is not.)

What are some of the reasons behind people's exercise schedules?

How often do you exercise?

I am a scientist and therefore, I prioritize my physical and mental well-being. I try to exercise at least 3-4 times a week for about 30 minutes to an hour.

Why is exercise important?

Exercise is important for several reasons. It helps to maintain a healthy weight, boosts energy levels, reduces the risk of chronic diseases, improves mood and mental health, and strengthens muscles and bones.

What types of exercises do you do?

I like to mix up my exercise routine to target different muscle groups and prevent boredom. I enjoy activities like running, weightlifting, yoga, and hiking.

How do you stay motivated to exercise regularly?

As a scientist, I understand the importance of consistency and discipline. I also set realistic goals for myself and find an exercise routine that I enjoy. Surrounding myself with like-minded individuals and tracking my progress also helps me stay motivated.

Can you exercise too much?

Yes, it is possible to exercise too much, leading to overtraining and injury. It is important to listen to your body's needs and take breaks when needed. It is also recommended to consult with a healthcare professional before starting a new exercise routine.