Thank you letter for receiving fellowship from department

• Thread starter tresty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thank you
In summary, the question is whether a hard-copy thank you letter is necessary after receiving a small admission fellowship from a department. Some suggest including personal information in the letter, while others advise keeping it short and business-like. It is recommended to follow the department's preferred method of communication and to tailor the thank you to the level of study (undergraduate or graduate). Ultimately, it is important to express gratitude and keep the letter concise.
tresty
Hi everyone,

I have a quick question, and it may be a "no duh" question so please bare.
If the department (not a specific person but the department as a whole) awards you with a small admission fellowship based on your application package, is it necessary to write a hard-copy thank you letter? or is email enough?

I've googled through and some sites say I should be sending hard-copy letters with description of my family background etc but this seems like too much information in my opinion. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just send the thank you when you let them know that you've accepted the fellowship in the same format.

Customs may vary from one country to another.

twofish-quant said:
Just send the thank you when you let them know that you've accepted the fellowship in the same format.

US mindset here...
Assuming this is for the graduate-level, I'd concur... the department has definitely seen your application, and you'll be responding to them to accept the fellowship monies. Keep it short and sweet... a sentence in your acceptance response (email or written, whichever they said they'd accept/prefer) is enough. Be all business.

Assuming this is at the undergraduate level, I'd probably try to write a more personal written note to the department. They may or may not have seen your full application (which also may or may not have included a personal statement). At the undergraduate level, I think many departments (and smaller universities) like to think of themselves as (or feel obligated to be) in loco parentis and would then like to know more about you. Additionally, a written letter shows your writing ability (a plus since at the undergrad level there are usually writing-skill-dependent gen-ed courses -- and why not make the department have a high opinion of and confidence in you before your arrival, even inculding non-math/science skills, like writing?).

Thanks to all who replied!

I actually decided to a send a written letter, because I thought being more formal than necessary wouldn't hurt me, whereas the opposite might. I just kept it short and simple thanking them for being so generous and for lightning my financial burden.

Related to Thank you letter for receiving fellowship from department

What is a thank you letter for receiving fellowship from department?

A thank you letter for receiving fellowship from department is a formal letter expressing gratitude to the department for awarding a fellowship to the recipient. It is a way to show appreciation for the opportunity and to maintain a positive relationship with the department.

Why is it important to send a thank you letter for receiving fellowship from department?

Sending a thank you letter for receiving fellowship from department is important because it shows gratitude and professionalism. It also helps to maintain a positive relationship with the department, which can be beneficial for future opportunities or collaborations.

What should be included in a thank you letter for receiving fellowship from department?

A thank you letter for receiving fellowship from department should include a sincere expression of gratitude, specific details about the fellowship and its impact, and any future plans or goals related to the fellowship. It should also be personalized and well-written.

When should a thank you letter for receiving fellowship from department be sent?

A thank you letter for receiving fellowship from department should be sent as soon as possible, preferably within a week of receiving the fellowship. This shows promptness and sincerity in expressing gratitude. However, it is never too late to send a thank you letter, so if you have not done so, it is better to send it late than never.

Should a thank you letter for receiving fellowship from department be sent via email or mail?

This depends on the preference of the department and the recipient. Generally, sending a thank you letter via email is more convenient and faster, but sending a physical letter through mail can be more personal and thoughtful. If you are unsure, it is best to ask the department for their preferred method of communication.