Texts on Quantum Fields without Maxwell's Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Maxwell's equations in books about quantum electromagnetism. One author chooses not to use them due to a belief that they were based on outdated experiments. However, others argue for the importance of Maxwell's equations, including S. Weinberg's "The quantum theory of fields" which uses them minimally and Eugene Carver A Mead's approach which combines them with quantum theory. The use of superconducting inductors is also mentioned as a helpful tool for understanding the concepts.
Vectronix
Hi

I would like to know what your thoughts are on books that make an attempt to discuss quantum electromagnetism without using any of Maxwell's equations. I came across a text written by an author who decided not to use Maxwell's equations because Maxwell and others "didn't have access" to modern experiments. Personally, I think it's probably a bad idea, but I want as many people to post in here what they think. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Carver A Mead uses a four-vector potential approach combined with quantum theory in the same way.

I particularly like his use of superconducting inductors to illustrate points that become obvious in retrospect.

Related to Texts on Quantum Fields without Maxwell's Equations

1. What are quantum fields?

Quantum fields are theoretical constructs in physics that describe the behavior of particles at a quantum level. They are based on the principles of quantum mechanics and are used to explain the interactions and properties of subatomic particles.

2. Why are Maxwell's equations not included in texts on quantum fields?

Maxwell's equations describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields and are based on classical physics. In the context of quantum mechanics, these equations are not applicable and are replaced by quantum field theory, which provides a more comprehensive understanding of the interactions between particles.

3. What is the significance of studying quantum fields without Maxwell's equations?

Studying quantum fields without Maxwell's equations allows for a deeper understanding of the fundamental nature of particles and their interactions. It also helps bridge the gap between classical and quantum physics and provides a more unified theory of nature.

4. How are quantum fields without Maxwell's equations applied in real-world situations?

Quantum field theory, including the study of fields without Maxwell's equations, has a wide range of practical applications. It is used in fields such as particle physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum computing, and has led to advancements in technology such as transistors and lasers.

5. Are there any other theories or equations that are used in place of Maxwell's equations in quantum field theory?

Yes, in addition to the quantum field theory, there are other theories and equations that are used to describe the behavior of particles at a quantum level. These include the Standard Model, which is a comprehensive theory of particle physics, and the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of fermions such as electrons and quarks.