Textronix 2205-40 scope rebuild question

• Thread starter Planobilly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scope
In summary, Billy's 2205-40 scope has a wide horizontal line, indicating that the CRT itself is working. He has never tried to rebuild a scope and doesn't know how difficult it is, but he is interested in doing so because the scope could be useful. Dave, a fellow forum user, told Billy about a restoration trick for large PSU caps that can be used on old Tektronix scopes. Billy is looking forward to trying it out and giving his scope back to someone in need.
Planobilly
Hi Guys,

I have a Textronix 2205-40 that was given to me. It turns on and there is a wide horizontal line so the CRT it self is working and no amplification.
I have never tried to rebuild a scope. I looked at the service manual and it looks pretty complex. I have a new 100mhz digital scope and a Hameg 20mhz analog scope so I am not hurting for a scope.
Have any idea how hard these type scopes are to rebuild in general? Is this model scope worth rebuilding??

Thanks,

Billy

Engineering news on Phys.org
hey Billy

like all old electronic things, electro replacement is top of the list

dunno if you are aware of the old restoration trick that many of us use...
in line with keeping the piece of gear looking original, and for large PSU caps, it is common to hollow out the guts of
the old caps and install the new ( and always physically smaller) replacement caps inside the old cansDave

ohhh I forgot to mention
there's a very active Tektronix scope yahoo group I have been part of for many years

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TekScopes/ohhh and note it should be a k not a x ... Tektronix, not Textronix :wink:D

Hi Dave,

I have not poked around yet but the cap issue was first on the list.

Thanks,

Billy

LOL...I can not spell Billie...lol

Likes davenn
Planobilly said:
LOL...I can not spell Billie...lol

well spelt either way, depending on gender, I think :wink:

Plus I am from Texas...lol

Planobilly said:
Plus I am from Texas...lol

ohh well that explains everything haha :rolleyes::wink: ... sorry just having fun :wink:

haven't been to TX since 2006, on one of my storm chasing trips to the USA
Sorry for sidetracking your thread

Dave

I live in Miami, Homestead actually. When everyone finds out I am from Texas I will most likely get banned from the site..lol

I will ask the question on the link you gave me also...plus spell it right!

A wide horizontal line as in out of focus? Does it sweep? If so that sounds like any easy fix unless there is an oscillation in the vertical circuit. An oscillation could cause something like this depending on where it is occurring. The scope may not be able to trigger on an internal oscillation.

davenn said:
dunno if you are aware of the old restoration trick that many of us use...
in line with keeping the piece of gear looking original, and for large PSU caps, it is common to hollow out the guts of
the old caps and install the new ( and always physically smaller) replacement caps inside the old cans
I wasn't aware or even thought of that. Thanks Dave. :bow:

Likes davenn
Averagesupernova said:
A wide horizontal line as in out of focus? Does it sweep? If so that sounds like any easy fix unless there is an oscillation in the vertical circuit. An oscillation could cause something like this depending on where it is occurring. The scope may not be able to trigger on an internal oscillation.

Hi,

After messing with the scope a bit, most everything seems to be working except the focus control. I have a function generator hooked up and the scope changes both with frequency and amplitude as I change the frequency generator. I can see the wave form...several types. I had the case off a few days ago and there is a long shaft that goes to the focus pot and I think it is turning the pot but I need to check. I will see tomorrow if I can dig up the value of the pot and what it controls...getting late here.

Cheers, and thanks for the help.

Billy

Tektronix also made conversion kits to replace Nuvistors with Transistors.
The Nuvistors couldn't stand the vibration and shocks of a portable instrument and had a very short life. Customers didn't like that.

Thanks for the yahoo Tektronix group link

i have a 2211 in the "fix me" pile...

looking forward to your adventures...

Likes davenn
I dislike seeing any piece of electronics gear that has a usefulness be placed in the junk pile. There are plenty of young people just starting out in electronics who would love to have a working scope like this. I will most likely repair this scope and give it to someone in need. I am also sure I will most likely need some guidance in making that happen. I also think it is the responsibility of those who have skills in certain fields to share what they know and promote learning and education. I assumed from the start that this forum does just that and my assumptions have been proven to be correct. So...thanks to all of you who have helped me to learn new things.

As time goes by, I hope that I can be helpful to others who log on here looking to learn new things. I don't know much but I am always willing to help.

Cheers,

Billy

Planobilly said:
I also think it is the responsibility of those who have skills in certain fields to share what they know and promote learning and education.
Hear Hear !

We're all ignorant, just on different subjects.

Well Jim, my ignorance spans quite a large number of subjects...lol

Here is a short video of the scope in question.

My understand of oscilloscopes and how to use them is pretty limited to begin with so repairing one will require learning a bunch of new stuff I am sure.

Billy

Doesn't look like the trigger is working or maybe no set correctly?

Averagesupernova said:
Doesn't look like the trigger is working or maybe no set correctly?

Well...the fact that the display is showing the same line that is very wide with or without a signal and no change happens when I move the focus controls assuming that the focus control can even address this condition would indicate that the focus control is not working.

The trigger has to be working because I see the wave form and it changes in a normal way when I change the controls on the function generator. The scope is displaying the wave...just not as a fine line as one would expect. I assume several other repair issues will be required to have the information displayed in a correct and calibrated manner. Lots I don't know about how scopes work in general so I guess anythings is possible.

Billy

EDIT: As I have looked at another analog scope I have I am starting to think the focus control is not the cause of the issue

Likes davenn
I always start with power supply voltages - check for <10% ripple unregulated, <1% regulated , if not figure out why.

Look at a signal that's sync'd to line voltage - if you have power supply troubles something should appear still.
Got an AC output wall wart laying around?

Hi Jim,
I still need to find a real schematic to work from if it exist. The service manual I saw was more about "follow these instructions". Truth is, I have not looked at it much yet. There are some really high voltages (around 1900V i think) around the CRT I want to know where they are before I start to poke around too much.
I have AC regulated power supply 0V to 140V and a DC regulated power 0V to 60V to work with.

I also have another small "learning" project going on at the moment. I am trying to understand just how to set up my digital scope to measure the value of a unknown capacitor or inductor using my function generator. Plus I think a nap is on the list...lol

Cheers,

Billy

If the trigger were working you would not see the waveform move through on the scope the way it does in your video. If this were my scope I would suspect that the trigger is set to auto and the trigger level is set all the way one way. Or, the trigger is just plain not working.

Related to Textronix 2205-40 scope rebuild question

1. What is a Textronix 2205-40 scope?

The Textronix 2205-40 scope is an oscilloscope, a type of electronic test instrument used to graphically display and analyze electronic signals. It is manufactured by Textronix, a leading company in the field of test and measurement equipment.

2. What does the "rebuild" in the question refer to?

The "rebuild" in the question is referring to the process of repairing or restoring a piece of equipment to its original working condition. In the context of a Textronix 2205-40 scope, it may involve replacing damaged parts or performing maintenance to ensure accurate and reliable performance.

3. Why would someone need to rebuild a Textronix 2205-40 scope?

There are several reasons why someone may need to rebuild a Textronix 2205-40 scope. It could be due to wear and tear from regular use, damage from mishandling or accidents, or simply to ensure the scope is functioning properly and providing accurate measurements.

4. Can the rebuild process be done by someone without technical expertise?

The rebuild process for a Textronix 2205-40 scope requires technical knowledge and experience. It is not recommended for someone without the necessary skills to attempt a rebuild, as it could potentially cause further damage to the scope or result in incorrect measurements.

5. How long does a typical rebuild for a Textronix 2205-40 scope take?

The length of time for a rebuild can vary depending on the extent of the repairs needed and the availability of parts. It is best to consult a professional technician for an accurate estimate. In general, a rebuild can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.