Tetrad Formalism: Finding e^{a \mu}?

• Thread starter ngkamsengpeter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tetrad
In summary: Thanks.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of tetrad formalism in general relativity and the meaning of e^{a \mu}. It is explained that e^{a}_{\mu} is a component of the tetrad basis and that e^{a \mu} is a diagonal matrix. It is suggested to raise the index using the metric tensor g^{\nu \mu} to find e^{a \mu}. The conversation also touches on finding a frame cobasis for a 4-velocity and provides a basic method for doing so.
ngkamsengpeter
I am new to tetrad formalism in general relativity. I understand that [itex]e^{a}_{\mu}[/itex] is the component of a tetrad basis but what is meaning of [itex]e^{a \mu}[/itex] and how do i find it? For example, [itex]e^{a}_{\mu}[/itex] is a diagonal matrix (a,b,c,d), how do I find [itex]e^{a \mu}[/itex]? Just raise the index using metric tensor [itex]g^{\nu \mu}[/itex]?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a good explanation in section 5.8 of the attached notes.

Attachments

• grtetrad.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 1,062
Mentz114 said:
There is a good explanation in section 5.8 of the attached notes.
Thanks. Let see if I understand it correctly.

Let say my metric tensor [itex]g_{\mu \nu}[/itex] is a diagonal matrix (a^2,b^2,c^2,d^2) and we choose the tetrad [itex]e^{m}_{\mu}[/itex] as (a,b,c,d), then the [itex]\gamma_{mn}[/itex] is equal to (1,1,1,1) right? And we use this [itex]\gamma_{mn}[/itex] to raise and lower the tetrad indices m and n right?

Besides, if my metric tensor is not a diagonal matrix, is there a simple way to find the corresponding tetrad?

Thanks.

ngkamsengpeter said:
Thanks. Let see if I understand it correctly.

Let say my metric tensor [itex]g_{\mu \nu}[/itex] is a diagonal matrix (a^2,b^2,c^2,d^2) and we choose the tetrad [itex]e^{m}_{\mu}[/itex] as (a,b,c,d), then the [itex]\gamma_{mn}[/itex] is equal to (1,1,1,1) right? And we use this [itex]\gamma_{mn}[/itex] to raise and lower the tetrad indices m and n right?
According to equ(3), for an orthonormal tetrad, ##\gamma_m \cdot\gamma_n = \eta_{mn}##, but in general ##\gamma_m \cdot\gamma_n = \gamma_{mn}##. I assume the dot is the tensor product.

Besides, if my metric tensor is not a diagonal matrix, is there a simple way to find the corresponding tetrad?
If you can write the line element as a sum of squares, it's possible to read off the static frame field. But for the frame field of a general worldline, I don't know a method that works every time.
I have had success finding a frame cobasis for a 4-velocity ##u^\mu## by setting the components of the cobasis vectors so ##{\vec{e}}_0=u_\mu##, which points the time-like cobasis vector in the right direction. One has to guess the structure of the other ##{\vec{e}}_i##, while keeping the vectors independent, and put in unknowns for the components. Then calculate ##g_{\mu\nu} = -{\vec{e}}_0 \otimes {\vec{e}}_0 + \sum_i {\vec{e}}_i \otimes {\vec{e}}_i## and iteratively eliminate the unknowns. There could be better ways to do this, but I don't know them.

( The tensor product above corresponds to equ(12) in the notes, with ##\gamma=\eta##, if the rows of the tetrad ##{e^m}_\mu## are the cobasis vectors)).

If that isn't clear I can show you an example.

Last edited:
Mentz114 said:
According to equ(3), for an orthonormal tetrad, ##\gamma_m \cdot\gamma_n = \eta_{mn}##, but in general ##\gamma_m \cdot\gamma_n = \gamma_{mn}##. I assume the dot is the tensor product.

If you can write the line element as a sum of squares, it's possible to read off the static frame field. But for the frame field of a general worldline, I don't know a method that works every time.
I have had success finding a frame cobasis for a 4-velocity ##u^\mu## by setting the components of the cobasis vectors so ##{\vec{e}}_0=u_\mu##, which points the time-like cobasis vector in the right direction. One has to guess the structure of the other ##{\vec{e}}_i##, while keeping the vectors independent, and put in unknowns for the components. Then calculate ##g_{\mu\nu} = -{\vec{e}}_0 \otimes {\vec{e}}_0 + \sum_i {\vec{e}}_i \otimes {\vec{e}}_i## and iteratively eliminate the unknowns. There could be better ways to do this, but I don't know them.

( The tensor product above corresponds to equ(12) in the notes, with ##\gamma=\eta##, if the rows of the tetrad ##{e^m}_\mu## are the cobasis vectors)).

If that isn't clear I can show you an example.

Can you show me an example so that it is much clearer?

Thanks.

ngkamsengpeter said:
Can you show me an example so that it is much clearer?
I'm going to use matrices to show this because it will be quicker. Given this metric
## \left[ \begin{array}{cccc}
g00 & g01 & 0 & 0\\\
g01 & g11 & 0 & 0\\\
0 & 0 & g22 & 0\\\
0 & 0 & 0 & g33\end{array}
\right]
##
and making a guess at the cobasis vectors,
##\mathbf{e_0}=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} a & b & 0 & 0\end{array} \right],\ \mathbf{e_1}=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} c & d & 0 & 0\end{array} \right],\ \mathbf{e_2}=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 0 & 0 & \sqrt{g22} & 0\end{array} \right],\ \mathbf{e_3}=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 0 & 0 & 0 & \sqrt{g33}\end{array} \right]
##
where a,b,c,d are unknown. Now we calculate the tensor product of the covector ( see my previous) and get
{c}^{2}-{a}^{2} & c\,d-a\,b & 0 & 0\\\
c\,d-a\,b & d^2-b^2 & 0 & 0\\\
0 & 0 & g22 & 0\\\
\right]
##
Now we can start eliminating a,b,c and d. For instance, we have the equation
##c\,d-a\,b=g01## or ##c=\frac{g01+a\,b}{d}##. Now substitute this value into the cobasis vectors and recalculate the tensor product and repeat.

To give some physical meaning to this choose ##{\mathbf{e}}_0## to be the 4-velocity covector of some worldline. For a static observer b will be zero.

This is a basic, brute-force method ( I have software to do this ) and maybe someone will come up with something elegant.

Over to you, have fun :wink:

[edit]
I get ##b=0##, ##a=\sqrt{\frac{{g01}^{2}}{g11}-g00}##, ##c=\frac{g01}{\sqrt{g11}}## and ##d=\sqrt{g11}##

Last edited:
ngkamsengpeter said:
I am new to tetrad formalism in general relativity. I understand that [itex]e^{a}_{\mu}[/itex] is the component of a tetrad basis but what is meaning of [itex]e^{a \mu}[/itex] and how do i find it? For example, [itex]e^{a}_{\mu}[/itex] is a diagonal matrix (a,b,c,d), how do I find [itex]e^{a \mu}[/itex]? Just raise the index using metric tensor [itex]g^{\nu \mu}[/itex]?

Thanks.

Are you familiar the coordinate basis [itex]\left\{ \partial / \partial x^\mu \right\}[/itex] associated with the coordinate system [itex]\left\{ x^\mu \right\}[/itex]?

Mentz114 said:
I'm going to use matrices to show this because it will be quicker. Given this metric
g00 & g01 & 0 & 0\\\
g01 & g11 & 0 & 0\\\
0 & 0 & g22 & 0\\\
\right]
##
and making a guess at the cobasis vectors,
##\mathbf{e_0}=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} a & b & 0 & 0\end{array} \right],\ \mathbf{e_1}=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} c & d & 0 & 0\end{array} \right],\ \mathbf{e_2}=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 0 & 0 & \sqrt{g22} & 0\end{array} \right],\ \mathbf{e_3}=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 0 & 0 & 0 & \sqrt{g33}\end{array} \right]
##
where a,b,c,d are unknown. Now we calculate the tensor product of the covector ( see my previous) and get
{c}^{2}-{a}^{2} & c\,d-a\,b & 0 & 0\\\
c\,d-a\,b & d^2-b^2 & 0 & 0\\\
0 & 0 & g22 & 0\\\
\right]
##
Now we can start eliminating a,b,c and d. For instance, we have the equation
##c\,d-a\,b=g01## or ##c=\frac{g01+a\,b}{d}##. Now substitute this value into the cobasis vectors and recalculate the tensor product and repeat.

To give some physical meaning to this choose ##{\mathbf{e}}_0## to be the 4-velocity covector of some worldline. For a static observer b will be zero.

This is a basic, brute-force method ( I have software to do this ) and maybe someone will come up with something elegant.

Over to you, have fun :wink:

[edit]
I get ##b=0##, ##a=\sqrt{\frac{{g01}^{2}}{g11}-g00}##, ##c=\frac{g01}{\sqrt{g11}}## and ##d=\sqrt{g11}##

Thanks for the example.

Actually I am trying to study the dirac equation in curved spacetime. Do you have example how to calculate the spin connection?

Thanks.

Related to Tetrad Formalism: Finding e^{a \mu}?

1. What is Tetrad Formalism?

Tetrad Formalism is a mathematical framework used to study the behavior of particles in curved spacetime. It involves the use of tetrads, which are four vectors that describe the local geometry of spacetime at a given point.

2. How is Tetrad Formalism used to find e^{a \mu}?

Tetrad Formalism can be used to find e^{a \mu} by solving the Einstein field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy. By using tetrads, the equations can be simplified and solved for e^{a \mu}.

3. What is the significance of e^{a \mu} in Tetrad Formalism?

e^{a \mu} is a mathematical expression that represents the local curvature of spacetime at a given point. It is an important quantity in Tetrad Formalism as it allows us to understand the behavior of particles in curved spacetime.

4. How does Tetrad Formalism differ from other mathematical approaches to studying curved spacetime?

Tetrad Formalism differs from other approaches, such as tensor formalism, by using tetrads as a mathematical tool instead of tensors. Tetrads provide a simpler and more intuitive way to describe the local geometry of spacetime, making it easier to solve the Einstein field equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of Tetrad Formalism?

Tetrad Formalism has many applications in physics, particularly in the fields of general relativity and cosmology. It has been used to study the behavior of particles near black holes, the evolution of the universe, and the formation of gravitational waves. It also has applications in engineering, such as in the design of space-time sensors and navigation systems.