Testing the Properties of a Relation on Nonnegative Real Triples

In summary, the relation a is defined as follows: a triple (x, y, z) is special if and only if x + y + z = 1. There is a set S of 3 special triples (|S|=3) such that for any given special triple (x, y, z) which is not in S, we can find at least one triple (a, b, c) in S such that (x, y, z) α (a, b, c).
flashback
Let us define a relation a on the set of nonnegative real triples as follows:

(a1, a2, a3) α (b1, b2, b3) if two out of the three following inequalities a1 > b1, a2 > b2, a3 > b3 are satisfied.

a) (3) Test a for Transitivity and Antisymmetry

We call a triple (x, y, z) special if x, y, z are nonnegative and x + y + z = 1.

b) (3) Show that there is a set S of 3 special triples (|S|=3) such that for any given special triple (x, y, z) which is not in S, we can find at least one triple (a, b, c) in S such that (x, y, z) α (a, b, c)

c) (4) Show that there not exists a set S of 3 special triples (|S|=3) such that for any given special triple (x, y, z) (including that in S), we can find at least one triple (a, b, c) in S such that (x, y, z) α (a, b, c)

If anyone could give me some help with this :)
Ty in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
flashback said:
Let us define a relation a on the set of nonnegative real triples as follows:

(a1, a2, a3) α (b1, b2, b3) if two out of the three following inequalities a1 > b1, a2 > b2, a3 > b3 are satisfied.
I assume it means exactly two inequalities hold and not at least two.

flashback said:
a) (3) Test a for Transitivity and Antisymmetry
For transitivity, consider $(2,3,1)$, $(1,2,3)$ and $(3,1,2)$. For antisymmetry, having both $(x_1,x_2,x_3)\alpha(y_1,y_2,y_3)$ and $(y_1,y_2,y_3)\alpha(x_1,x_2,x_3)$ is impossible since for some pair $i,j$ of indices we must have $x_i>y_i$ and $x_j>y_j$, but for another pair $i',j'$ we must have $y_{i'}>x_{i'}$ and $y_{j'}>x_{j'}$. The sets $\{i,j\}$ and $\{i',j'\}$ have a common element, say, $k$, and then $x_k>y_k$ and $y_k>x_k$.

flashback said:
We call a triple (x, y, z) special if x, y, z are nonnegative and x + y + z = 1.

b) (3) Show that there is a set S of 3 special triples (|S|=3) such that for any given special triple (x, y, z) which is not in S, we can find at least one triple (a, b, c) in S such that (x, y, z) α (a, b, c)
Consider triples containing two zeros.

flashback said:
c) (4) Show that there not exists a set S of 3 special triples (|S|=3) such that for any given special triple (x, y, z) (including that in S), we can find at least one triple (a, b, c) in S such that (x, y, z) α (a, b, c)
You can't have $(0,0,1)\alpha(a,b,c)$ if $(a,b,c)$ is special.

For the future, please read http://mathhelpboards.com/rules/, especially rule #11.

Oh i am really sorry i did not know there were rules. Be sure that next time i will be more carefull when writing a post, although this was the original text that my Discrete Mathematics teacher gave me as an assignment. Thanks a lot.
Best regards.

Related to Testing the Properties of a Relation on Nonnegative Real Triples

1. What is the purpose of testing the properties of a relation on nonnegative real triples?

The purpose of testing the properties of a relation on nonnegative real triples is to understand the behavior and characteristics of the relation when the input values are limited to nonnegative real numbers. This can help in analyzing the relation's performance and identifying any patterns or trends.

2. How do you determine if a relation on nonnegative real triples is reflexive?

A relation on nonnegative real triples is reflexive if the element x is related to itself for all nonnegative real numbers. In other words, if (x,x) is an element of the relation, then the relation is reflexive.

3. What does it mean for a relation on nonnegative real triples to be symmetric?

A relation on nonnegative real triples is symmetric if the elements x and y are related in both directions. This means that if (x,y) is an element of the relation, then (y,x) is also an element of the relation.

4. How do you test if a relation on nonnegative real triples is transitive?

A relation on nonnegative real triples is transitive if whenever (x,y) and (y,z) are elements of the relation, then (x,z) is also an element of the relation. To test for transitivity, you can check if the relation follows the "chain rule", where if a relation holds for two elements, it must also hold for the third element in the chain.

5. What are some common examples of relations on nonnegative real triples?

Some common examples of relations on nonnegative real triples include "is greater than" (>) and "is less than" (<). Other examples include "is equal to" (=) and "is not equal to" (≠). These relations can be tested for properties such as reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity to better understand their behavior on nonnegative real numbers.