Testing symmetry properties of nonlinear governing equations

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, we discussed the validity of an argument regarding the partial differential equation \frac{\partial u(x,t)}{\partial t} + N[u(x,t)] = 0, where N is a nonlinear operator, being asymmetric about x=0. We examined the behavior of the system under a reflection transformation and found that the transformed equation does not equal the original equation, indicating lack of symmetry. However, this does not necessarily prove that the solution is asymmetric. We also addressed the terminology of "symmetry breaking" terms in N and suggested using "asymmetry-inducing" terms instead. Additionally, we recommended seeking references on nonlinear PDEs and symmetry breaking in physical systems and seeking advice from colleagues or mentors
nickthequick
Hi,

I'm a bit uncertain about the validity of my argument/approach to the following:

I'm trying to prove that the solution to a partial differential equation

[itex] \frac{\partial u(x,t)}{\partial t} + N[u(x,t)] = 0[/itex], where N is some nonlinear operator, CAN BE (not necessarily is) asymmetric about x=0. I do not know [itex] u(x,t) [/itex].

To that end, I've been examining the behavior of the system under the transformation [itex] x\to -x [/itex] (i.e. a reflection or inversion transformation) and can show that

[itex] \frac{\partial u(x,t)}{\partial t} + N[u(x,t)] \neq\frac{\partial u(-x,t)}{\partial t} + N[u(-x,t)], [/itex]

so that we do not expect u(x,t) = u(-x,t).

I am wondering if this is the best way to test this reflection symmetry. Also, if I can find the terms in the operator N that violate this symmetry, is it coherent to call these 'symmetry breaking' terms?

Any references to relevant resources would be appreciated,

Thanks!

Nick

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Nick,

Your approach to testing the reflection symmetry in your partial differential equation seems sound. By showing that the transformed equation is not equal to the original equation, you are demonstrating that the system is not symmetric. However, this does not necessarily prove that the solution is asymmetric about x=0. It is possible that the solution could still be symmetric, but the equation itself is not.

As for your question about calling the terms in N that violate symmetry "symmetry breaking," it may be more accurate to call them "asymmetry-inducing" terms. This is because the terms themselves are not necessarily breaking symmetry, but rather contributing to the overall asymmetric behavior of the equation.

In terms of references, you may find useful information in books or articles on nonlinear partial differential equations or symmetry breaking in physical systems. Additionally, consulting with colleagues or seeking guidance from a mentor in your field may provide valuable insights and resources.

Best of luck with your research!

Related to Testing symmetry properties of nonlinear governing equations

1. What is the purpose of testing symmetry properties of nonlinear governing equations?

The purpose of testing symmetry properties of nonlinear governing equations is to determine if the equations possess certain symmetries, such as rotational, translational, or scaling symmetries. These symmetries can provide important insight into the behavior and solutions of the equations, and can also aid in the development of more efficient numerical methods for solving them.

2. How is symmetry testing different for nonlinear governing equations compared to linear equations?

Symmetry testing for nonlinear governing equations is more complex compared to linear equations because the equations are not as easily separable and may contain terms that are not explicitly dependent on one variable. This requires more sophisticated mathematical techniques, such as Lie symmetry analysis, to identify and verify symmetries.

3. Can symmetries be used to simplify the solution process of nonlinear governing equations?

Yes, symmetries can be used to simplify the solution process of nonlinear governing equations. By identifying and exploiting symmetries, the equations can be reduced to a simpler form, making it easier to find a solution. This can also help to reduce the computational cost of solving the equations.

4. What are the limitations of symmetry testing for nonlinear governing equations?

One limitation of symmetry testing for nonlinear governing equations is that it may not always be possible to find symmetries for all types of nonlinear equations. Additionally, the presence of numerical errors and uncertainties in the equations may affect the accuracy of the symmetry testing results.

5. How are the results of symmetry testing applied in practical applications?

The results of symmetry testing for nonlinear governing equations can be used to improve the accuracy and efficiency of numerical methods for solving the equations. They can also aid in the development of new analytical and numerical techniques for solving nonlinear equations, which can have practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.