Testing Self-Awareness: How Do We Know?

• Medical
  • Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Testing
In summary, the point of talking about making computers that are self-aware is to try and prove that they DO exist, even if you can never prove it.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
How do you know that other people are self-aware and not just very sophisticated computers? In other words, let's say you had a box with something inside that gave answers to your questions, how could you ever tell if the thing in the box was self-aware? If it's impossible then what's the point of talking about making computers that are self-aware if it's you can never prove that they are or are not?

Biology news on Phys.org
"How do you know that other people are self-aware and not just very sophisticated computers?"
Until the day I meet a life-like android (or read that someone invented a life-like android), I will assume that all beings who appear to be self-aware, ARE actually self-aware human beings.

"lets say you had a box with something inside that gave answers to your questions, how could you ever tell if the thing in the box was self-aware?"
This sounds like a good definition of a Forum.
I type-out a question.
I send it to the Physics Forum.
Later, my computer screen comes back with an answer.
Certainly the answer could be self-generated by a computer program.
If the answer was clear and on-point, I wouldn't care if it came from a human (or not).

"If it's impossible [to tell the difference] then what's the point of talking about making computers that are self-aware if you can never prove that they are or are not?"
If I had a computer that was self-aware, it would be a simple matter to prove that it existed:
Input a question, and it outputs an answer.
Prove to a bystander that there is no external connection to a modem.
This will convince most people that the computer, itself, has output the answer.
If some scientist was still skeptical, I might show him the schematic of my design, and explain how my computer works. Then he would methodically go through the computer, attempting to hunt-down the secret modem. At some point, he would be convinced. Soon thereafter, I will win the Nobel Prize, and this will help convince the rest of the world that I have (indeed) created a self-aware computer.

It is impossible for a human to live in a Vacuum.
There is a Vacuum between the Earth and moon.
Therefore, what's the point of a Space program.

There is impossible ... and then there is IMPOSSIBLE.

Last edited:
put it infront of a mirror for a while.

Related to Testing Self-Awareness: How Do We Know?

What is self-awareness and why is it important to test?

Self-awareness is the ability to recognize and understand one's own thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. It is important to test because it allows us to better understand ourselves and make improvements in our lives.

How do we measure self-awareness?

There are various methods for measuring self-awareness, including self-report questionnaires, behavioral observations, and neuroimaging techniques. Each method has its own strengths and limitations.

Can self-awareness be improved?

Yes, self-awareness can be improved through self-reflection, feedback from others, and mindfulness practices. It requires effort and practice, but it is a skill that can be developed over time.

Is self-awareness the same as self-consciousness?

No, self-awareness and self-consciousness are two different concepts. While self-awareness involves understanding oneself, self-consciousness is a preoccupation with how others perceive us.

How does self-awareness relate to emotional intelligence?

Self-awareness is a key component of emotional intelligence, which also includes the ability to regulate emotions, empathize with others, and handle social interactions effectively. Self-awareness allows us to better understand our emotions and how they influence our behaviors and relationships.