Test of Bell's Theorem: Experiments Beyond Polarization

In summary: I didn't know about all the other experiments. Are any of these tests of quantum entanglement?Yes and no. The properties being tested are a quantum observable of some type. Besides the usual position, momentum, spin, etc there are some that are composite in some manner. And the test assumes the observable exists independent of the act of observation. I.e. that it is non-contextual, which is to say realistic in this usage of the term.Great stuff, thank you DrChinese.
Dadface
As I understand it most, if not all, experiments carried out to test Bells theorem test the local hidden variables assumption that photons have definite polarisations. What I would like to know is whether experiments on properties other than polarisation have been carried out. If not are there any properties that in principle can be tested? Thank you for reading this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dadface said:
As I understand it most, if not all, experiments carried out to test Bells theorem test the local hidden variables assumption that photons have definite polarisations. What I would like to know is whether experiments on properties other than polarisation have been carried out. If not are there any properties that in principle can be tested?

As DrClaude has said, there are others. In fact, probably at least a hundred other tests of local realism (local hidden variables) that have been made on photons, as well as all manner of other systems. Virtually any kind of entanglement leads to an inequality, and I see new ones all the time. It's really just a question of how many and/or how different/unique/interesting you want to see. Here's a few more:

Massive entangled particles (9Be+ ions)
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v409/n6822/full/409791a0.html

Two ultracold neutral atoms
https://arxiv.org/abs/1507.05586

Light-matter micro-macro entangled state
https://arxiv.org/abs/1510.02665

Likes Dadface
Thank you very much DrClaude and DrChinese. Am I correct in assuming that all of these experiments test the local realism assumption that light or macro particles or whatever it is being investigated have definite properties?

Dadface said:
Thank you very much DrClaude and DrChinese. Am I correct in assuming that all of these experiments test the local realism assumption that light or macro particles or whatever it is being investigated have definite properties?

Yes and no. The properties being tested are a quantum observable of some type. Besides the usual position, momentum, spin, etc there are some that are composite in some manner.

And the test assumes the observable exists independent of the act of observation. I.e. that it is non-contextual, which is to say realistic in this usage of the term.

Likes Dadface
Great stuff, thank you DrChinese.

Related to Test of Bell's Theorem: Experiments Beyond Polarization

What is Bell's Theorem and why is it important?

Bell's Theorem is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that certain predictions made by quantum mechanics cannot be reproduced by any classical theory. It is important because it challenges our understanding of the universe and has implications for our understanding of causality, locality, and determinism.

What is a test of Bell's Theorem and how is it performed?

A test of Bell's Theorem is an experiment designed to test the validity of the principle. It is typically performed using entangled particles, which are particles that are intrinsically connected and can affect each other's properties even when separated by large distances. The experiment involves measuring the properties of these particles and comparing the results with predictions made by classical theories.

What have been the results of tests of Bell's Theorem so far?

The results of tests of Bell's Theorem have consistently shown that the predictions of quantum mechanics are correct and cannot be explained by classical theories. This has been confirmed by numerous experiments, including those involving entangled photons and ions, and has been a major breakthrough in our understanding of the universe.

What are some potential implications of Bell's Theorem?

Bell's Theorem has several potential implications for our understanding of the universe. It suggests that there are hidden variables at play in quantum mechanics, which could potentially lead to a deeper understanding of the nature of reality. It also challenges our understanding of causality and locality, as the entanglement of particles suggests that information can be transmitted instantaneously over large distances.

What are some current and future developments in tests of Bell's Theorem?

Current developments in tests of Bell's Theorem include experiments involving larger entangled systems, such as molecules and superconductors, and attempts to close potential loopholes in previous experiments. In the future, tests of Bell's Theorem may also be used to develop new technologies, such as quantum communication and quantum computing, that rely on the principles of entanglement and non-locality.