Test Hypothesis ##\it{p}##-value and ##\sigma##

• Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of p-values and Z-scores to test hypotheses. The results of the tests are given as p_1 = 0.105 and p_2 = 0.0002. The discussion also mentions using the norminv function in MATLAB to back out the p-values from the standard normal distribution. The relationship between Z-scores and standard deviations is also addressed.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
Let's say I have some data and I want to test the hypothesis [itex]H_0[/itex] (only background) vs the hypothesis [itex]H_1 [/itex] (bkg +signal).

I did that using the ##p##-value and I got with a Z-score and two different approaches (taking all the data or the data within some mass window) the results:
[itex] \it{p}_1 =0.105[/itex]
[itex] \it{p}_2 = 0.0002[/itex]
How can I relate those results to standard deviations ##\sigma## ?

(I hope I used the right prefix)

Physics news on Phys.org
The p - value is based on the standard normal distribution, so (assuming a 2 tailed test) you can back it out using a norminv(p/2) function in most stats toolkits.
For example, norminv(.105/2, 0, 1) in MATLAB returns -1.6211, indicating that your sample data was 1.62 standard deviations away from your hypothesized mean.

so is that the Z-value?
Because I calculated p from Z's CDF.

Z can be defined as the number of standard deviations from the mean.
You can tell by the form: ##Z = \frac{ \mu-\overline x }{\sigma}##
*edit*
which can be rewritten as ## Z\sigma = \mu - \overline x##, which can be said "the difference between the sample mean and the hypothesized population mean is equal to Z standard deviations. "

ChrisVer said:
How can I relate those results to standard deviations ##\sigma## ?

You haven't stated a specific statistical question. Are you are referring to a problem you described in a different thread? What do you mean by [itex] \sigma [/itex]? Is it a population standard deviation or a sample standard deviation? What do you mean by "relating" a p-value to a standard deviation?

Related to Test Hypothesis ##\it{p}##-value and ##\sigma##

1. What is a hypothesis in scientific research?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation or prediction for a phenomenon that can be tested through experimentation or observation. It is a tentative statement that can either be proven or disproven through evidence.

2. What is the significance of the ##\it{p}##-value in hypothesis testing?

The ##\it{p}##-value represents the probability of obtaining results at least as extreme as the observed results, assuming that the null hypothesis (the hypothesis being tested) is true. A lower ##\it{p}##-value indicates stronger evidence against the null hypothesis, and a value of less than 0.05 is typically considered statistically significant.

3. How does the ##\sigma## value factor into hypothesis testing?

The ##\sigma## value, also known as the standard deviation, is a measure of the spread or variability of a set of data. It is used in calculations to determine the probability of obtaining a certain result by chance. A higher ##\sigma## value indicates a larger spread of the data, making it more likely to obtain a result by chance.

4. How do you interpret the results of a hypothesis test?

The results of a hypothesis test are typically expressed as a ##\it{p}##-value. If the ##\it{p}##-value is less than 0.05, it is considered statistically significant and the null hypothesis can be rejected. If the ##\it{p}##-value is greater than 0.05, there is not enough evidence to reject the null hypothesis. It is important to also consider the practical significance of the results in addition to the statistical significance.

5. How can we use hypothesis testing to draw conclusions in scientific research?

Hypothesis testing allows scientists to make informed decisions based on evidence. By setting up a null hypothesis and testing it against an alternative hypothesis, researchers can determine whether their results are statistically significant and support their proposed explanation or prediction. This helps to improve our understanding of the natural world and can lead to new discoveries and advancements in various fields of study.